Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Stereotypes and limits

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:50 am
Okay, before we start, DISCLAIMER: this is a silly conversation and should not be taken seriously.

So I was reading the cakes and ale thread and someone mentioned that she didn't drink, and I wondered to myself, "how do teetotallers get along in Asatru?"

Do you think there's a part of a person's lifestyle that might exclude them from active participation in a religion?

A few things come to mind...
Can a person in a wheelchair participate in the spiral dance?
Does a man or a woman initiate a transsexual in Wicca?
Will a Norse deity disown a person who doesn't enjoy the odd glass?
Can a homophobe function well in Greek religion?

There are things that exclude certain people from certain faiths. You can't follow the Irish Celtic deities if you're not a part of that culture, for example. Some Hard Folkish types insist only those of Germanic descent can be Asatruar, but we ignore them because they're dicks. You can't be a Wiccan if you're a prude, but I'm not sure how you'd cope if you decided to be celibate for some reason.

...I'm sure I had more to say here but I started talking to a mate over IM about Rule 34 and got distracted.
You get the basic thing I'm going for here, right? xd  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:22 pm
Quote:
Do you think there's a part of a person's lifestyle that might exclude them from active participation in a religion?

Of course! You can pull some pretty tight circles in a wheel chair! rofl rofl rofl
Quote:

This was a few-pages long discussion on the Wiccan FAQ thread and I don't think they ever really figured it out.
IMO, with my limited knowledge of Wicca, I would say that it would be based on the genitalia of the person in question-to maintain the polarity.
Quote:

I don't think they'd disown...but the deities would probably get sick of the constant facepalms xd
Quote:

I would like to see this one tested in real life rofl  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:05 am
Quote:
Maybe, especially if there are things that go against a person's own moral or ethical codes. It's a question that comes up with Wicca quite regularly. If initiation has sexual elements, what do I do if I am married? It can be a tough decision. Or what if I don't like to do witchcraft can I still be Wiccan? No...it's base on the use of it. Again..maybe this is not the right path.

Quote:
Though I can see the difficulty in having a wheelchair in such a situation, I still think there are other ways that they could participate. If others in the circle were willing to either construct a sling of some sort to carry the other person (and obviously that person would have to be willing to be carried), then I think it could be done. To me a spiral dance is not only about the physical dance, but also a dance of the soul/spirit, so one does not necessarily need to be able to use ones legs to do that. Sometimes just to be in the midst of such energy is participation enough, even if you can't move from the spot you are in.

Quote:
From what I've gotten from A&J, it's all about the plumbing. If you have male parts, you are male. If you have female parts, you are female.

Quote:
I can't really speak to much to this since I'm not too familiar with the Norse deities, but just because you don't drink doesn't mean that you couldn't keep a small bottle to use for offerings. Now if you were "on the wagon", I think the gods would understand if you couldn't. I am sure that if someone were really dedicated to that path, they could find something that was appropriate to give as an offering, and still stay within their own boundaries. If not, then maybe it isn't the path for them.

Quote:
They'd either have to re-evaluate their views on things or find another religion.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:53 am
thats funny especially the wheel chair spiral dance comment. mrgreen  

WitchyBoy

2,100 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Cart Raider 100

syd_321

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:15 pm
i think minds should be more opened stare  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:40 pm
Um... in what way?  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:47 pm
Quote:
i think minds should be more opened stare

We're just joking around...
I think minds should be included with a sense of humor.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:07 pm
humor is very important  

WitchyBoy

2,100 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Cart Raider 100

MidnightLetter
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:07 pm
Maybe she missed the "disclaimer". xd  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:42 pm
would you still be able to jump the broomstick if you had a prothesis? mrgreen  

WitchyBoy

2,100 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Cart Raider 100

Aryain Flames

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:53 pm
interestnig thought for a topic. i would have to think about some of my answers, but i do think one could participate in a spiral dance, even in a wheel chair. seriously, all you would have to do would be spin the chair really fast. lol. just kidding, folks.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:15 am
Sanguina-chan

I've been in circles with the disabled or ill many times, and the answer is yes. They can indeed participate in the spiral dance. It's not an obstacle at all; it's simply their choice as to whether or not they want to sit it out. There are times when I'm walking wounded myself, and I choose not to dance. It's not a crime.

As for the transgendered folks...like was noted in M&R, it really depends on the priesthood involved. Chances are if they're part of a coven, their potential initiators find them a proper person to begin with, and don't have a problem with their gender. If a coven was uncomfortable or uncertain enough with a person's gender, they would likely just not become a member of that group. Some may very well decide their physical body is their polarity...but others might be ok with their chosen gender polarity as well. It really depends on the coven and its' leadership.

I've been in women's circles standing beside transgendered women. They were not excluded nor told they were men based on their 'plumbing'. And I don't think they should be, either. We're all male and female in each of us, and we can manifest both polarities. Exterior gender is a construct.  

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

Radioactive Freezer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:12 am
To add to the wheel chair comment, can y'all imagine someone going Skyclad and doing backwards swirls around a fire pit while another in an electric chair beats a drum? xd  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games