Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

free poll for everyone
  added by moonlight ^_^
View Results

dragontamer363
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:22 am
well, I'm all for people reinventing myths and such (God knows in my stories I bugger the origional ideas on angels and stuf like noone's business XD) - but people have to have an idea wher ethey came form.
And a vampire without FANGS?! Dude, talk about taking the essential coolness of a vampire and throwing it out the window.

Essentially 'true' vampires should be like the nosferatu, or at the very least Dracula. It's interesting that Dracula is distinctly quite different form what we regard as 'modern' vampires.

If you've read Darren Shan's 'cirque du freak' series the vampires tehre don't have fangs (i think), but have very sharp nails instead. and they'r enot immortal, but age something like 8 times more slowly. which is interesting.

You ahve your gothic anne rice vampires - highly emotional peeps.

Then you have your buffy the vampire slayer vampires that seemed ot try and take them back to the nosferatus monster status by having them change into crinkle-aced-fangy types when they get a bloodlust (and look nromal any other time).

Then you have the Blade 2 'reaper' vampires which - while not technically proper vampires, are nevertheless wickedly cool twisted

When I had a go at wirting a vampire novel yeeearrs ago (may it rest on peace lol) I twisted around with vampires a heck of a lot. Something like, the older a vampire, the more dmeonic it appears (so Dracula and his sister had pure white sin, red eyes etc), and I made up a new race that was sorta a halfbreed that coudl trot around in teh sun (unfortunately sicne he was related to Dracula, he had his freaky pure white skin, and since he'd been sired after he was already a half vamp, he ended up with 8 fangs instead of Dracula's 4)...

My point, (I have a point? 0o) is that vampires are always being changed. but DEAR GOD IN ALL HIS HOLINESS-NESS-NESS do not make them emo.
pleeease!
A little angst is essential I suppose, but there's a difference betwen angst and fullblown emo.

And sparkling in teh sun? I suppose there's some logic behind it. but yet again, it seems to be catering to the 'omgdz squee!' teeniebopper fans. xp  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:28 am
I have also read the first book and wasn't that impressed. Not sure I will do the series. But, we are all different and you may love it. That's what makes the world a cool place to be. Would be rather boring if we all like the same things now wouldn't it. 3nodding  

Minnie Daze

Zizzykitty
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:40 am
I can understand twisting a creature around too.

I just get annoyed when because of one interpretation of an old creature everyone thinks that is how a vampire is supposed to be. The original folktale vampires had fangs, only went out at night, killed small children, and they were really ugly. That mental image of Edward as that made me giggle. I don't think Bella would have liked him so much if he were like that. I don't read a lot of vampire stories but I don't ever hear of any with vampires like that. I don't know if you'd want to read a story about that. So I can see changing it to make the story more interesting or just to make the main character, if it's a vampire, more relatable by making it more human than monster.

Also I've always been a fan of werewolves more than vampires so it also annoys me how a lot of people are anti-werewolf now because of Twilight because, god forbid the sparkly emo-angst vampire doesn't win.

I also have heard of Cirque du Freak. I have a friend who loved the series. She likes vampires in general but she absolutely loved that series. She tried to get me to read it a couple times but because I wasn't into vampires I never did.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:18 am
Very true, Minnie smile

it is silly fi people assume that the word is law on how a vamp (or werewolf) should be.  

dragontamer363
Crew

*~Purple Moonlight Haze~*

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas