Welcome to Gaia! ::

Drawing a Day Guild! Improve Your Drawing!

Back to Guilds

Reply Kingdom of Chatterboxia!
New and with Queries....

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Taro550

Conservative Gaian

7,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:59 am
Hey There I'm Dani and I'm New to the guild.

I have a sort of uh... odd question I guess you could say....

I love to draw... doodles mostly... but I completely cant draw to save my life xD

So here's my question.... Where can I start? I'm pretty good at drawing eyes but that's it... i cant draw hair or other facial features nor can I draw bodies...

~HELP!?~  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:14 am
Maybe I should also mention i cant draw circles either >.> all mine turn out like squished cheeseball looking things... i can draw a bit in paint but it takes me hours and looks like... well... like crap... xD  

Taro550

Conservative Gaian

7,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100

Doctor Nitrus Brio

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:23 pm
Wow, were to begin.

I suck at circles too... well, with every shape really because it seems to mock me in every way. XD

Well, idk your knowledge of art. I am an ok basic knowledgeable person so here is some tips.

---
I am not a good drawer/artist but where to begin.
TRACING!

Yes, Tracing. Why Trace? Well, When you start to trace something you get the feel of LINES and SHAPE. *DON'T post what you've traced, just keep it as reference*

After you have done a few, try the basic shape drawings... yes, circles.
Don't draw 3-d shapes yet such as Cube, Spheres. Just draw the basic.

With the basic, make pictures out it. Circle for eyes, square for body. The reason for this, it allows you to see basic shape out of something easy yet looks complex.

Then, find draw the 3-d objects for a while. Also, figure out the Point of View. This makes basic shapes into 3-d.
After you drawn a few, find some art work of something. Mailbox, cat, human, computer. But you are not tracing, you are going to find the basic shapes and then 3-d objects.

Next, is lighting, texture, tone, harmony, and what not. But, i know nothing of that because well, i stinks with that. *if you learn lighting, you have a great understanding of texture, tone, and what not*
-----

If you look around your room you will start to notice that everything is shape.

If you want to go advance, you got to break things into smaller shapes from the big shapes. Like a human nose in profile view. It is a triangle. But the base and one side is flat while the other side slopes in a 60 degree angle. Then a circle by the corner of the triangle and so forth.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:43 pm
My advice: Get books from the library. I'd recommend something by Steve Miller if you're going for a realistic (but not portrait) style.  

Tari_Dragonblade

2,000 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0

Bribble

Obsessive Entrepreneur

15,550 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:23 am
Doctor Nitrus Brio's advice is great, and I also agree that drawing books can help a lot a lot. Just pick out a book that's a style you're roughly aiming for, and read it, and do the exercises in it! That's what they're for.  
Kingdom of Chatterboxia!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games