Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply [ Blood+ ]
All forms of Blood plus

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Which is better: the movie, the show, or the manga?
  The movie
  The show
  The manga
View Results

Virvada

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:14 am
I was curious; for those of you who have seen the movie, what did you think of it? How would you compare it to the show? And why was the art style so vastly different, as were the characters (some completely missing, like Diva and Haji) and the voices? Why was this movie created if the show was going to be exponentially better and more organized, not to mention a totally different story line. And what about the manga? Do any of you like it, and how does it compare to the show?

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:26 am
I don't know when the manga that's like the show was produced, but I know for sure that the movie came much before the show. It wasn't made after. And there are actually different mangas. One that's like the movie, one that's like the show, and I read a small manga about Hagi previously as well. From what I've learned, the movie was made to be short and interesting, and it's was sparked everything.
The movie, I have to say, after watching the entire series was a tad disappointing. But, in all it's shortness, it's a lovable and memorable place to begin.
The art style... I myself am an artist, and I know how hard it is to imitate other people's styles. I guess that it was just too impossible to imitate or to get the people who created the art back together. There are many possible reasons.

Kenaserenity
Crew

khaleesea

Star-Crossed Partner

27,315 Points
  • Dramatic Shipping 25
  • There are two sides... 50
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:47 am
The movie, Blood: The Last Vampire, was meant to be a one-shot originally. It is much older than Blood+, the series, and was essentially a storyline of its own; simply meant to catch the attention of thriller and monster fans, and provide a small excerpt from the much bigger story of Saya, the girl who killed the giant monsters. The story was short, and mysterious, but it was gripping and intriguing, to the point where the movie has become a favorite of many anime fans.
I saw the movie before I saw Blood+. I think that's what originally drew me to the series, was the movie. There had been different novels and even a manga, I believe, of the original story of Saya, but there hadn't been anything like this. I was curious; the art was different, and there were new characters--not to mention the look they'd given Saya. The series had an almost completely different take on the story of 'The Last Remaining Original', or, at least, the story that we pieced together in the movie. But the draw, for me, was still there. The series was engaging. I wanted to watch it all, I waited anxiously for each weekend to watch it on Saturday nights. It was exciting, and it was creative. The characters had back story, there was a large and intricate plot...

But that being said, neither one can really compare to the other. The movie was wonderful--thrilling and interesting, with a rugged kind of art style that was perfect for the backdrop, the characters, and the fight scenes. Just in the way she was drawn, you knew that Saya was strong, you knew that there was a danger, almost an anger, to her character.
The series was amazing in its own right. The characters had more depth. The story was developed and exciting. The art this time was softer, it gave a much more human and innocent look to the characters. Saya, who had looked almost every part the killer in the original movie was given a more human and more girlish look. We knew by looking at her that she was someone sweet, that she was a normal school girl. Also, in that way, it made the character's struggles more personal. What people tend to overlook is that a good amount of times, the way a series is animated plays a big role in our feelings about it. Blood+ gave all of its characters a 'normal' feel about them. There were many, many scenes where, if you watched only that one part, and had no idea what the series was about, you'd never guess that smiling school girl killed monsters, or carried a sword at all. The solemn cellist was mysterious, but perhaps he just had a secret crush on the high school girl. Her brothers made them a normal family. It was done in such a way that you could try and relate to the characters, and that you could see their lives apart from the fighting--it wasn't so much focused on the fighting itself.

It would be silly to say that either was better, given that the two are almost completely different entities. I prefer to look at them separately, and appreciate the different qualities that both of them offer.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:27 am
Blood: The Last Vampire can't really be compared to the series other than a basic, shared mythology. The short movie was also very 'cutting edge' at the time as it was anime movie with English voices & Japanese subtitles ( in other words, it wasn't dubbed- that's just how it was made ) & it was done entirely in digital instead of hand-painted cels. Additionally, the story isn't told entirely in the movie but also through the various other forms of media that followed it, as mentioned above.
In that right, I like Blood: The Last Vampire a little better than Blood+ for the tone of the story; instead of a drama it was more of an action/horror title.

Blood+ is good too but I'm less apt to enjoy something that focuses too much on love stories, which Blood+ essentially is- a web of romances and an underlying plot concerning the Chiropteran. It's still a good story though, and very well done.
The manga adaptation on the other hand.. it moves too quickly for the reader to take a deep interest in the characters and so I think it really falls short in that respect. It's interesting, but there's not really enough to keep you around.

Paradigm of Humanity

[ Blood+ ]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff