Fresnel
Freak_090
Barru
Freak_090
crying WANT!!!

A lot of people I know just take a small isolated room/closet and put in a strong but normal looking door with a dead-bolt on it.

I could do that. But any smart criminal would try beaking through the wall after him or his buddy dislocates their shoulder.

Well that is true Fresnel.

I've never heard of robbers breaking through walls before... Perhaps re-enforce the room with brick? It's still a lot cheaper than buying a safe.

Edit: apparently wall studs are placed 16" or 24" apart, so I doubt breaking through a wall would be of much use to a robber.
The advantage to a safe is that they're generally both fire and waterproof. Also, unless the door opens in to your closet (which most closet doors don't), you have the option of popping the hinges off the door.

Ah, well I haven't heard of too many trying to break through a wall, but honestly it's something that I might try if I really had to get into a room and the door was out of the question.

The door in my den opens in.
Anyway, if I was putting in a strong door I would definitely remount it and reinforce a bit.

OK, my den has no windows, one wall is up to concrete blocks, the other is again concrete blocks but there's a ton of dirt behind it (Earth Home), the wall to my left...
I'm not sure. It could be concrete again but I don't know.
The wall behind me I know is just drywall and boards.

The door that I have now I know I can bust it down if I had to and it has just a simple lock. I can open it with a damn toothpick.