Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Sims Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for all things Sims created by Maxis/EA. 

Tags: simulation, god games, story telling, custom, Sims 

Reply Sims Q&A and Help
My Sims pixelates, then crashes.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Julia Dream

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:54 am
I can usually run Sims for about 15 minutes before it spazzes out and a bunch of red, green, and yellow pixels cover it, then things like hair disappear from the sims and finally it freezes. No way to get to the start menu or CTRL-ALT-Deleting my way into canceling the program - I'm forced to restart my whole computer.

Before I get any answers to this, my graphics card, video card, and drivers are all up to date. My computer's specs are equal to, if not better than the specifications listed on the back of the Sims Apartment Life box. It isn't an issue of not having enough RAM, or memory, and it isn't an issue of graphics cards.

My brother thinks that the computer itself might be overheating due to bad NVIDIA (drivers) commands or something, but I'll deal with that when the time comes.

Note that I haven't downloaded any patches for any of my Sims, but when I re-loaded all the games on Wednesday the prompt said that "Sims 2 is up to date" or something like that so I assumed I didn't need to.

If I do need a patch, I don't know which I should get.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:12 am
The installer will always report that the game is up to date and so you will always need to patch. You will also need each patch for each game you own as a newer expansion pack does NOT include patches for previous packs.

I know you say your machine meets, if not excedes, the requirements but that could also be the problem. I know a few EPs back a problem was reported that the newest Nvidia card wasn't compatible and caused crashes. I am not aware if this issue was ever solved by either EA or Nvidia. I guess it would have been by now.

It could just bee that your machine is overheating as your brother suggests. If I end up using my laptop on a soft surface it will give me the blue screen of death after about 20-30 mins due to the fans not being able to do their job.

I hope some of this info has helped.  

Menaceman

Tricky Hoarder

11,450 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Rebuilder 100

Blueman1027

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:24 pm
I would open up your computer and clean out all the dust and whatever gung you have in there. TRUST ME! It gets in there! Run tests on your fans and make sure they are producing enough wind to get to your chips. Even the newest chips cannot withstand heat.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:45 pm
That has happened to me. Does everything become obnoxiously larger, too? I think it's something to do with the graphics or the memory. But I ended up getting a new hard-drive (Because it died) so I no longer have that problem.

Vilified

6,350 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200

Life Hath Immortality

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:29 pm
This happens to me as well.  
Sims Q&A and Help

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash