Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Wicca and Solitary Wicca Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Would you appreciate a defined spilt between Wicca and Solitary Wicca?
  Yea go for it!!
  Not a chance
  Wouldn't make a difference
  I'm on the fence
View Results

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:31 pm
Rebel_Dynasty

Alas, the age-old debate. I need a refresher, anyway. It's been awhile since I've been here, and it's only been lately that I've begun my rituals again (my dauughter keeps me very busy, and now, 've foonud the time to do othher things).

I agree with you; Wiccans within covens who worked hard for their title have a right to preserve said title, but not the right to tell me (and other solitariies) that we have to denounce our title, as well. I've worked just as hard as those withiin a coven, and despite trailing off for a bit (children do that to you), I have not denounced my faith. So long as I keep my beliefs, and do my best to practice it, and continue to study, I will always be a student of the Goddess and God.

So, Solitary Wiccan I am. It doesn't make me anymore or any less Wiccan than those with specific teachings, surrounded by others.

You're ignoring one basic thing: Wicca is an orthopraxy, oathbound and Mystery-based. If you don't recieve initiation in the proper way, the Wiccan Mysteries are not transmitted to you. And there are means to check this, even if you claim initiation 'by the Gods'. If you don't recieve a proper initiation, you don't have access to what Wicca is. And since the names of the Lord and Lady are oathbound, non-initiates do not know who the Gods of Wicca are. They are two distinct individual deities, not a soft-polytheistic God and Goddess.

The rites of Wicca require the context of the coven. Even an initiated Wiccan, if they're acting alone, is more than likely performing a non-Wiccan rite.

No book or website can replace learning these things, person to person, from a lineaged coven. No proper High Priest or Priestess is going to say "oh yeah, I can initiate you online". For that matter, no valid tradition of Wicca is going to teach their Craft online, like so many sale goods. There is distance learning - some will teach over the phone, but it still will require you to travel to the covenstead at various points to learn what must be done in person. There's no getting around the face to face aspects.

I have no problem with people practicing neo-pagan witchcraft. Where I have issue is having people claim a word through entitlement. If you're not qualified to use a title, don't. Your practice doesn't qualify as Wicca, on several points. That doesn't invalidate your study or work, or choice of path. I am not saying this in an attempt to denigrate you. Rather, I just want you to think about why you feel entitled to be called a Wiccan, when it isn't appropriate.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:25 pm
Rebel_Dynasty

I agree with you; Wiccans within covens who worked hard for their title have a right to preserve said title, but not the right to tell me (and other solitariies) that we have to denounce our title, as well.

Actually if it's a title you have no rights to claim because you do not meet the definition of the word and they do...I think they have every right to say "Please stop stealing our word."
Quote:
I've worked just as hard as those withiin a coven, and despite trailing off for a bit (children do that to you), I have not denounced my faith.

They're not asking you to denounce your faith.
They just want you to stop using their title incorrectly.
They're not saying your didn't work hard or your hard work is worthless.
They are saying that it is a different kind of work than what they have had to do to earn the title.
Quote:
So long as I keep my beliefs, and do my best to practice it, and continue to study, I will always be a student of the Goddess and God.

Sure, keep your beliefs. Nothing wrong with that.
However, Wicca is based on correct practice, not correct beliefs and as such, beliefs mean very little in being considered Wiccan.

Quote:
So, Solitary Wiccan I am.

More specifically (and correctly) you're a Tvaanist, or someone who has a Pagan practice that draws on the outer-court materials of Wicca.
Quote:
It doesn't make me anymore or any less Wiccan than those with specific teachings, surrounded by others.

No one is saying (or would be stupid enough to say) that non-Wiccans are lesser than proper Wiccans. They are just saying that your path is not Wiccan, what you practice is not Wicca and as such, you are not Wiccan.  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games