Lolita [1997 film]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Henneth Annun
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:41 pm
Yes yes yes I know it was originally a book.

So what does everyone think about it? Has anyone here seen it?  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:44 pm
XWraith_LordX

I watched part of the way through it, mainly because I like Jeremy Irons. I couldn't get through it, I found it too disturbing sad

I have not read the book.  

trampyre

Awesome Akwardness

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:20 pm
trampyre
XWraith_LordX

I watched part of the way through it, mainly because I like Jeremy Irons. I couldn't get through it, I found it too disturbing sad

I have not read the book.
Actually the movie seemed pretty tame compared to the book, atleast to me anyway. surprised  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:56 pm
Thought about reading it several times before, but never got around to it.
How much tamer is the movie?  

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

Awesome Akwardness

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:27 am
-Resurrected Writer-
Well I guess since you don't really get to hear his thoughts and feelings like you do in the book it kind of seems to play down how really obsessed, manipulative, and perverse he actually is without it.

I hope maybe that works? Since I suck at describing things... sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:20 pm
I've read the book, but I haven't seen the movie.  

Megumi Selwyn

ElectroPanties

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:54 pm
I've never read the book, but I adored the movie. I found it both hilarious and shocking. My favorite quote would have to be (as Lolita's mother and Humbert lay together in bed) "Oh, Hummy, you're going away!" rofl Too good, too good.

I can't think of a single Stanley Kubrick film I didn't like.

Oops, I didn't realize you were talking about the 1997 version. I have never seen that one.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:21 pm
Awesome Akwardness
-Resurrected Writer-
Well I guess since you don't really get to hear his thoughts and feelings like you do in the book it kind of seems to play down how really obsessed, manipulative, and perverse he actually is without it.

I hope maybe that works? Since I suck at describing things... sweatdrop

The film is nothing like the book really. In the film, you never hear the thoughts of the narrator. Whereas in the book the story was incidental, in the movie the focus is on the story. You never see really see Humbert Humbert as insane like you do in the book. All the lies and exaggerations he repeats to himself in the book are absent from the film.

Ignoring that, the "lolita" is not young and innocent. She is far too old and manipulative. Rather than being the victim of a *****, she is a seducer.

This is not to say the movie was bad. The movie was a good movie. It just did not hold true to the book in a number of ways. Rather than watch Jeremy Irons on the screen, I think it would be much better to get the audiotape of Lolita which he did.  

zz1000zz
Crew

Keevan Draco

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:06 pm
meh, didn't really care for the remake....
then again, i've seen the original that was made in the 60's with helen murien that was based upon the book...different, but not disturbing. As for the remake, jeremy Irons character seemed a little two timid for that role, and the female lead was a tad too mature for the subject matter.....epic fail.  
Multimedia

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games