Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Sewing Machine Recommendations?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Palestrina or Machaut?
  Palestrina
  Machaut
View Results

Pallas Parthenos

Shy Tycoon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:40 pm
I'm finally going to get a sewing machine and I'm wondering if any of you have recommendations as to which brands/types? I sew clothes mostly. I don't need anything computerized; basic is fine for me. I'd like something cost-effective too; I'm in college. xp

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:36 am
I've always preferred Singer. The only complaint I have is that the sewing foot stopped working so I had to buy another, but the machine was on discount when we bought it. You may want to look into getting an electric one because down the road you might wish you could do more, I do. Get one with a serger stitch so you don't have to buy a serger. that's just what I would do, because my machine is very basic (5825 c). I think it may be discontinued because I can't find it on the Singer website. http://www.singerco.com/products/index.html crying
good luck! check ebay or walmart for good machines for less money. there is a listing for the same model as my machine on ebay, but I think $150 is too much, but I don't know how much mine cost.  

dkpuppets

Evagaline

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:12 pm
I'm afraid I can't help you on brand, I've always used a Singer so I'm biased. ^_^ I would suggest checking with your local fabric store though. Most of them offer sewing classes and have to replace their machines every few months or so. Those machines are like new, in really good condition, sold at a discounted price, and most stores will work out a payment plan so you don't have to pay everything up front. It's worth taking a look into!  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:17 am
I think that's what my parents did when they got mine. Pfaff machines are good too. but I am thinking they are more expensive.  

dkpuppets

SailorJuggaLokoLette

2,250 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
  • Team Edward 100
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:11 pm
I dunno if you have a Joann Fabrics near you but there are alot of machines on sale there this week. The cheapest is $100.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:10 pm
SailorJuggaLokoLette
I dunno if you have a Joann Fabrics near you but there are alot of machines on sale there this week. The cheapest is $100.
I have one near me and my mom works at one (we live in different states), so she may look there.

Thanks for all the input, everyone.

Pallas Parthenos

Shy Tycoon

Drowtung

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:27 am
My suggestion is if you sew with stretchy or knit fabrics to make sure you get a somewhat tough/more expensive machine. That was my problem when I first started sewing. I went to allbrands, which is located inside one of my local jo-ann stores. They sell high quality machines with all metal parts, things like Husqvarna, which is an excellent line. I spent just about 100 dollars and came out with a Janome Gem gold2. It works great on cotton, but when i tried to make other things such as fleece hats etc, everything puckered and looked awful. I also had a terrible time sewing anything but a straight line.

Discouraged and dismayed I went to my community college and took a technical sewing class. There I was sewing like a champ! But everytime I came home to work on something it still looked awful. Now I work with 2 different machines, a serger, and a fleter. But now I have my own business so I need all that. My cheaper machine is still my favorite though. it's a brother. it's got both metal and plastic parts so though I have to baby it a bit it can take a small beating.

I'm writing a lot so I will shut up now.

Just make sure your machine says on the box, or you are shown by someone, that it can handle the kind of materials you want to use. Otherwise you may get frustrated and loose out on potential fun!  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:24 am
I have a Bernina bernette 80e which they don't make anymore, but they still make similar models. It's pretty basic machine. No LCD screen or crazy embroidery, but that means it's easier to use. I've used it for everything from making curtains to tree skirts. Just remember to buy the proper bobbins! Singer bobbins and universal bobbins won't work. Found that out the hard way. And the best thing you can have is a knowledgeable sewing shop. I bought my machine from a quilting shop and they have been great helping me with my machine. I totally recommend spending the extra money to buy from a small shop rather than a large retailer.  

Stropharia

sonicrunner001

Fashionable Friend

9,025 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:11 pm
I grew up with singer in my house. so i suggest SINGER!  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:23 pm
Singers used to be great, but the quality has gone down a lot recently. I have a very basic Kenmore machine (the most complicated function is buttonholes) that I love, though I think Kenmore may be only available at Sears. For easier to find brand, I've heard very good things about Brother machines, and a lot of not-so-good things about Janomes (I work in a fabric store that sells a lot of machines.)  

We Have A Winnar

Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff