Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Archives~* (BOS and resource room)
[GUIDE] Asatru Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Was this guide helpful:
  Yes! Thank you!
  Not really...
  Gimme gold!
View Results

Wherebear

Original Ladykiller

6,050 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Clambake 200
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:30 pm
Sanguina Cruenta
Brokenbodhi
*Drinks to the sons of Bor*

Excuse me, but does anyone have any knowledge / opinions on the Dokkalfar (dark elves) or Svartalfar (black elves)?

What I've read on wikipedia tells me that these races may be the same under different names, or may be completely separate races, and either of them (or both) may simply be another name for the Dvergr (Dwarfs).

Any ideas at all?

You'll find some in-depth discussion on the subject in Kveldulf Gundarsson's "Elves, Wights and Trolls". The conclusion seems to be that dark alfs are "mound alfs", i.e. the dead (Turville-Petre's theory is that they are primarily the male ancestors as the disir are the female), and that Swart alfs do seem to be dwarfs.

smile

Interesting, thanks a lot! I'll have to add that to my reading list... So basically, from a Skyrim perspective they're the draugr.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:55 pm
Brokenbodhi
Sanguina Cruenta
Brokenbodhi
*Drinks to the sons of Bor*

Excuse me, but does anyone have any knowledge / opinions on the Dokkalfar (dark elves) or Svartalfar (black elves)?

What I've read on wikipedia tells me that these races may be the same under different names, or may be completely separate races, and either of them (or both) may simply be another name for the Dvergr (Dwarfs).

Any ideas at all?

You'll find some in-depth discussion on the subject in Kveldulf Gundarsson's "Elves, Wights and Trolls". The conclusion seems to be that dark alfs are "mound alfs", i.e. the dead (Turville-Petre's theory is that they are primarily the male ancestors as the disir are the female), and that Swart alfs do seem to be dwarfs.

smile

Interesting, thanks a lot! I'll have to add that to my reading list... So basically, from a Skyrim perspective they're the draugr.

Ohhh, nope nope nope, draugr are their own thing. They're walking corpses - revenants, particularly ones who have drowned. Dark alfs are more like - well, you know how dunmer have all that involved stuff about their dead being a part of the walls of a place? More like that, I'd say. You can call on mound alfs to help protect against draugr.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

Wherebear

Original Ladykiller

6,050 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Clambake 200
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:17 pm
Sanguina Cruenta

Ohhh, nope nope nope, draugr are their own thing. They're walking corpses - revenants, particularly ones who have drowned. Dark alfs are more like - well, you know how dunmer have all that involved stuff about their dead being a part of the walls of a place? More like that, I'd say. You can call on mound alfs to help protect against draugr.

I get it... Mound Alfs are a protective ancestor spirit.

So wait, Draugr are a real thing?  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:57 pm
Brokenbodhi
Sanguina Cruenta

I KNOW! I seriously only found that out like last month. Check it out!  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

Wherebear

Original Ladykiller

6,050 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Clambake 200
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:07 am
Sanguina Cruenta
Brokenbodhi
Sanguina Cruenta

I KNOW! I seriously only found that out like last month. Check it out!

Wow, sea-draugr...
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

So yeah, thanks for using TES terminology with me lol  
*~Archives~* (BOS and resource room)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces