Welcome to Gaia! ::

History Huggers

Back to Guilds

A guild for those who do want to live in the past! 

Tags: history, historical 

Reply Main Forum
Favorite Story from History?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Serenity Silvia Malfoy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:03 pm
Historical Fiction has always been a favorite book subject of mine. It gives you not only a taste of what time was like back in the chosen time era, but also, if the writer has done his/her research, a taste of what personalities were like. I have some stories that I know from history, though not specific dates.

Anyway. One of my favorite stories is the one of the first wolf man. It took place during one of the early pilgrimages. There was this guy in the forest, studying wolves and apparently he ate a hallucinate plant. He began to think he was a wolf, dressing, eating, ect like one. There was this little girl (or possibly a boy, since most pilgrimages didn't allow women out with out a man at their side...stupid sexist men) and the guy was really hungry, so he attacked her. The village got wind of this and well, pitch forks and flames g'lore. They burned him at the stake, like a witch and recorded it in their records. Interesting no? Do you guys have any stories you've heard like this?  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:00 pm
God I love Historical Fiction. Maybe not as much as fantasy or mythology, but...love it. ^^

One of my favorites is the Alexander the Great trilogy by Mary Renault. Mostly it's her account of AtG's lifetime, with a little of her own ideas and some romantisicm thrown in as well. If you're going for hard fact, she also wrote a biography for him.

A really good one but little-read is The Once and Future King. It's about King Arthur, and it has a pretty good dose of humour along with some good plot stuff.

A good historical short story is Naya Nuki, the story of the Shoshoni girl who was captured and taken far from her native lands. She is determined to travel thousands of miles on foot through harsh terrain and a hard winter.

Geez, I should stop now. I could sit here and recommend stories all day long sweatdrop  

shirofoxes
Captain

Business Gekko

3,325 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100

xanthnimby

Unsealed Spirit

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:09 pm
I like the Memoirs of Cleopatra by Margaret George  
Main Forum