Sharkbutt The Orgiastic

Magnetic Sex Symbol

7,650 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:32 pm
Waynebrizzle
God of War kind of gets away with it because at least there were people that badass in Greek mythology.

Like Hercules ripping off the Hydra's last head with his bare hands? Yeah.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:05 pm
Waynebrizzle
The idea that one guy can infiltrate and defeat anything in hell is just ridiculous. Don't you think its inhabitants would have tried that a while ago?

It's like God of War.

Hey what does Pandora's box do? Doesn't it release all of the world's fears?

hah, wrong. IT TURNS YOU GIANT

God of War kind of gets away with it because at least there were people that badass in Greek mythology. Still, Pandora's box? Come on.

But it's a video game.  

Trenn Flashkill
Vice Captain

Sharkbutt The Orgiastic

Magnetic Sex Symbol

7,650 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:14 pm
Trenn Flashkill
Waynebrizzle
The idea that one guy can infiltrate and defeat anything in hell is just ridiculous. Don't you think its inhabitants would have tried that a while ago?

It's like God of War.

Hey what does Pandora's box do? Doesn't it release all of the world's fears?

hah, wrong. IT TURNS YOU GIANT

God of War kind of gets away with it because at least there were people that badass in Greek mythology. Still, Pandora's box? Come on.

But it's a video game.

Evidently, Artistic License doesn't mean a damn thing to the audience when you're using someone else's art.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:54 pm
Trenn Flashkill

But it's a video game.

I guess it would be a boring game if the guy went through hell's gate and was instantly destroyed.  

Waynebrizzle

Keeskee

6,750 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:53 pm
Waynebrizzle
Trenn Flashkill

But it's a video game.

I guess it would be a boring game if the guy went through hell's gate and was instantly destroyed.

Well, Dante wasn't, and it's not because Virgil protected him. :/ You've got to remember that the souls in Hell are just that: Angry sinful dead people. They're not super-special or anything. Some of them are stuck upside down in the ground, even.

It's the demons that pose a threat. biggrin  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:15 am
Kiski
Waynebrizzle
Trenn Flashkill

But it's a video game.

Well, Dante wasn't, and it's not because Virgil protected him. :/ You've got to remember that the souls in Hell are just that: Angry sinful dead people. They're not super-special or anything. Some of them are stuck upside down in the ground, even.

Demons like Charon? Does he even hold any power? What would he do if you were to force your way onto his boat?  

Sharkbutt The Orgiastic

Magnetic Sex Symbol

7,650 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
  • Elocutionist 200

Keeskee

6,750 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:44 am
Wantcookie
Kiski
Waynebrizzle
Trenn Flashkill

But it's a video game.

Demons like Charon? Does he even hold any power? What would he do if you were to force your way onto his boat?

Through you into one of the rivers of Hell, therefore robbing you of any chance you had of going to heaven? It's not stated specifically, but it's alluded to in a lot of literature.

And no, not specifically Charon- Charon's just a boatman. I'm talking more significant demons; let me get my book and give you some examples:

Okay, first proof that you won't mysteriously implode when you enter Hell, like Wayne seems to believe:

At the gates of Hell:

'Through me the road to the city of desolation,
Through me the road to sorrors diuturnal,
Through me the road among the lost creation.

Justice moved my great maker; God eternal
Wrought me: The power, and the unsearchably
High wisdom, and the primal love supernal.

Nothing ere was I made to be
Save things eterne, and eterne abide;
Lay down all hope, you that go in by me.

These words, of sombre colour, I descried
Writ on the lintel of a gateway; "Sir,
This sentence is right hard for me," I cried.

And like a man of quick discernment: "Here
Lay down all thy distrus," said he, "reject
Dead from within thee every coward fear;"'

So yeees. As long as you're not a horrible sinner and hold to your virtues, you can run around in Hell as you please, really.

Now, for the demons:

'There in the threshold, horrible and girning,
Grim Minos sits, holding his ghastly session...

"Hol thou that comest to the house of pain,"
Cried Minos when he saw me, the appliance
Of his dread powers suspending,'

Minos is just the judge of the underworld, sending the souls of the damned to the places they belong, but he'd make a pretty decent first level boss, considering he's apparently very large and intimidating.

'Cereberus, the cruel, misshapen monster, there
Bays in his triple gullet and doglike growls
Over the wallowing shade; his eyeballs glare

A bloodshot crimson, and his bearded jowels
Are greasy and black; pot-bellied, talon-heeled,
He clutches and floays and rips and rends the souls'

And to get past, Virgil has to throw 'fistfuls of the miry ground' into each of the Cereberus' mouths so it doesn't attack them.

After that we come to the Wrathful, who are a danger themselves for obvious reason, and from there the sins get worse and the pits have to be guarded by lesser demons as well as overlords. So yeah. Hell's a pretty dangerous place.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:47 am
Kiski

Now, for the demons:

'There in the threshold, horrible and grinning,

"Hold thou that comest to the house of pain,"

Minos is just the judge of the underworld, sending the souls of the damned to the places they belong, but he'd make a pretty decent first level boss, considering he's apparently very large and intimidating.

'Cerberus, the cruel, misshapen monster, there

And to get past, Virgil has to throw 'fistfuls of the miry ground' into each of the Cereberus' mouths so it doesn't attack them.

After that we come to the Wrathful, who are a danger themselves for obvious reason, and from there the sins get worse and the pits have to be guarded by lesser demons as well as overlords. So yeah. Hell's a pretty dangerous place.

Admittedly, that structure would make for a decent difficulty curve.
But what about Limbo, the first level of hell? There's nothing there but particularly devout pagans. Their only punishment is never being able to truly know God.  

Sharkbutt The Orgiastic

Magnetic Sex Symbol

7,650 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
  • Elocutionist 200

Keeskee

6,750 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:50 am
Wantcookie
Kiski

Now, for the demons:

'There in the threshold, horrible and girning,

"Hold thou that comest to the house of pain,"

'Cereberus, the cruel, misshapen monster, there

Admittedly, that structure would make for a decent difficulty curve.

See? biggrin The designers weren't completely on crack.

It would've made a better puzzle-style game; Even if it was done like Thief, where you have the option between fighting and puzzling your way through, it could've been really cool.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:52 am
Kiski

It would've made a better puzzle-style game; Even if it was done like Thief, where you have the option between fighting and puzzling your way through, it could've been really cool.

xd
"Use dirt on dog."  

Sharkbutt The Orgiastic

Magnetic Sex Symbol

7,650 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
  • Elocutionist 200

Keeskee

6,750 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:57 am
Wantcookie
Kiski

xd
"Use dirt on dog."

xD
"Use Dirt(3) on Dog(Mouth); Action?Throw"  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:16 pm
Kiski
Waynebrizzle
Trenn Flashkill

But it's a video game.

I was talking about the demons.  

Waynebrizzle

Keeskee

6,750 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:24 pm
Waynebrizzle
Kiski
Waynebrizzle
Trenn Flashkill

But it's a video game.

Why would they kill someone who came into Hell? Besides, most of the demons live in the city of Dis, which is something like five levels down. When you enter Hell you just wander in from Limbo.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:29 pm
Kiski
Waynebrizzle
Kiski
Waynebrizzle
Trenn Flashkill

But it's a video game.

Why would they kill someone who came into Hell? Besides, most of the demons live in the city of Dis, which is something like five levels down. When you enter Hell you just wander in from Limbo.

Most of the the demons would have attacked Dante if Virgil wasn't with him. I'm assuming this guy would have everybody on him after tearing through the gate with an axe or whatever it was.

Yeah I know there's no real demons until a few parts down, but you know what I mean.  

Waynebrizzle

The Gallery

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces