Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Sculpted - art + craft guild
8D Help with fixing a figurine! Model paint suggestions!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Claire Voyant

Newbie Gaian

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:03 pm

Hey there!

I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions to fix a figurine bust for me.

http://www.davidmackguide.com/portfolio/kabuki/minibusts/kabuki.shtml

The link there shows what it is, it's the figure on the left.

It fell over sometime, and a bit of the nose chipped off.

I was wondering if anyone knew how to tackle this and maybe fix it. It's a resin bust.

I wasn't sure if I should just paint over it with a close matching skin tone, or if I should put some base down to smooth the missing bump out a bit more.

;__; I just want it to be fixed, it's number 27 out of 3000

Not that I was planning to sell it, but even so, I bought it from the artist himself and it's signed. ;__;

Also, if I am to paint it, can anyone reccomend a good flesh colored hobby paint?

D: I don't know much in the department.

Also, I have a couple model kits I want to start soon, does anyone know a good line of paint to work with? :B They're plastic models if that makes a difference.

<3 Thank you for reading

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:02 pm
Hey there,

I've been building models for about five years now, so I know a thing or two wink

For the bust, is it just the paint that chipped? If so, a bit of flesh-tone paint should do just fine. I can't really tell from the photo which particular color would be best...I'd suggest getting a medium flesh tone, a bit of white paint, and a bit of brown paint. You'll be able to bring the flesh tone up or down a shade or two to match the bust perfectly.

If there's structural damage, a little modeling putty would sort it out. You'd simply need to fill in any holes or parts that fell off, let the putty dry, and sand it smooth before paint.

As for paints, I've heard very good things about Vallejo. Tamiya make a solid line, but I don't use them myself. I tend to use Citadel paints, as they're the 'official' brand for the models I work with.

Oh, and my suggestion is to use acrylic paint. It's water based, which makes watering it down, cleaning up, and generally everything much easier. You'll need gloss varnish if you want a shiny finish, though.

Let me know if you have any more questions...  

loyalist42

Sculpted - art + craft guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff