Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply "TXT TLK" horror stories
English Language What the Hell Moments

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Veriduin

7,150 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:45 pm
While not exactly 'txt-sp33k', I feel the strange compulsion to vent my anger at the improperly spoken English that has become so popular in modern culture. If you have a "What?" moment of your own you'd like to share, please jump in.

About a month ago, I was walking alone with my boyfriend, who is generally rather good about using proper English. We were talking about hosting a New Year's party, and he turned to me and asked:
"Can (friend's name) come with?", to which I replied:
"With what?". My boyfriend acted as if he honestly didn't know what I was talking about. I was under the impression that ending a sentence with a preposition was improper English. I forgave him, as is proper, after informing him that 'with' happens to be a preposition, and that if he was going to use such a sentence, it is proper to tack on at least a pronoun to the end. Now, just today, I was reading a rather well written fanfiction, to find that the author (who seems to be something of a grammar nut, with a good beta) included the phrase, too. Several times, but only when characters are speaking. What makes people forget simple grammar rules when speaking? Dear (insert deity here), I'm sick of imbeciles!  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:53 pm
Veriduin
While not exactly 'txt-sp33k', I feel the strange compulsion to vent my anger at the improperly spoken English that has become so popular in modern culture. If you have a "What?" moment of your own you'd like to share, please jump in.

About a month ago, I was walking alone with my boyfriend, who is generally rather good about using proper English. We were talking about hosting a New Year's party, and he turned to me and asked:
"Can (friend's name) come with?", to which I replied:
"With what?". My boyfriend acted as if he honestly didn't know what I was talking about. I was under the impression that ending a sentence with a preposition was improper English. I forgave him, as is proper, after informing him that 'with' happens to be a preposition, and that if he was going to use such a sentence, it is proper to tack on at least a pronoun to the end. Now, just today, I was reading a rather well written fanfiction, to find that the author (who seems to be something of a grammar nut, with a good beta) included the phrase, too. Several times, but only when characters are speaking. What makes people forget simple grammar rules when speaking? Dear (insert deity here), I'm sick of imbeciles!

I don't really have a moment to share with you, but I do like to comment on this.

First of all, I hear that (or something similar to that expression) from my sister sometimes. I assumed it's only colloquial usage.

Second, that depends on frequency. Most level-headed people wouldn't forget their basic grammar ever so often. The cause for alarm is when they don't listen to you and resume their habits.  

Natsuri

Natsuri

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:58 pm
Actually, I do have one moment, when I was looking at some YouTube comments, when I came across this fine example of a typical fanboy specimen.

Quote:
no f** u ff7 is the best gay ****** cloud is sooo kawaii

I think I smell a Chad Warden over here... twisted  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:58 am
In literature, it is considered acceptable to commit unforgivable grammar errors in the dialogue. It is meant to make the characters more believable/easier to identify with/unique. I don't know why not being able to tell what someone is saying would accomplish those things, but then, it doesn't accomplish anything in real life, either. So the authors are just being overly realistic.  

Nicholas Kaze

Friendly Prophet

16,625 Points
  • Expert Skill 150
  • Gaian 50
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
"TXT TLK" horror stories

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items