Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Misconceptions about Wicca Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:59 pm
Deborah Lipp is the bomb!!! I admit I've only read Elements of Ritual, but that one book made such a difference in my practice, that I am looking forward to reading more of her work.

I think what San-chan (and most of the rest of us probably) would love is if a recognized Elder (or Elders) wrote a sort of "definitive" this is what Wicca is supposed to be...taking what Gardner wrote and clarifying how it translates to current practice. Even taking a copy of Witchcraft Today, and making an annotated edition. Going line by line and explaining what has been debunked and what has been found to be historically correct, etc... would be really helpful. We do realize that it may be difficult to get everyone to agree on everything, but even a general basis would be better than nothing. There is just so much crap floating out there, but not much being done to stop the flow.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:16 pm
too2sweet
Deborah Lipp is the bomb!!! I admit I've only read Elements of Ritual, but that one book made such a difference in my practice, that I am looking forward to reading more of her work.

I think what San-chan (and most of the rest of us probably) would love is if a recognized Elder (or Elders) wrote a sort of "definitive" this is what Wicca is supposed to be...taking what Gardner wrote and clarifying how it translates to current practice. Even taking a copy of Witchcraft Today, and making an annotated edition. Going line by line and explaining what has been debunked and what has been found to be historically correct, etc... would be really helpful. We do realize that it may be difficult to get everyone to agree on everything, but even a general basis would be better than nothing. There is just so much crap floating out there, but not much being done to stop the flow.

You'd find two issues with that:

1) No central authority figure. Since each coven and line of Wicca is pretty much autonomous, what one Elder or group of Elders may have to say or show about Gardner's writing may disagree with another.

2) Confirming, denying, or clarifying parts of Gardner's writings may also come into conflict with people's oaths, and thus folks stay well clear of it.  

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:25 pm
i'm just a happy solitary witchy pagan and i like it that way biggrin

i like being able to choose for myself what i feel is right, i've never been big on organized religion, it gets so confusing for me sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:39 pm
iChibi-Panda
._.

There are WAY too many Internet Wiccans out there.
Definition of Internet Wiccan: A teenager [xD Ironic that I am one] that receives a chain letter from some friend talking about Wicca [OmG guyz! gess wut? i found the kewlest religin evr! Its called wicca! u can do NEthng you want and kast magik! Jst reed Silver Ravenwolf's book!!!11one!!], who then goes out and buys said Silver Ravenwolf book and declares themself Wiccan.

i did read a silver book when i first started learning.
i think i threw it away. in any case its gone now.
i went and got the spiral dance, it was recommended.
and since then read a lot more.
i think i did go through that "i r wiccan listen to me' phase for like two weeks. but that was like every other phase. it disappeared.

Yeah, we've got one too many of those.
See, I think this is the problem: No one WANTS to pay attention to the fakes. Those who do get fed up after a while, lose their temper, and are discredited. O___o Its a vicious cycle.

Sure, there are legit Neo-Wiccans out there who follow their religion based off of what they know of Wicca, but they're still not Wiccan. They cannot call themselves Wiccan unless they are over 18 and initiated in a lineaged coven. Some respect that rule, and others fight it! Why?

I dont understand why they NEED to have the title Wiccan. They dont even understand the religion's secrets if they are not initiated. Yes, some of them understand this, and call themselves Neo-Wiccan. Good for them, but what about the other trillion of them throwing fits?
What is SO hard about just calling yourself a Neo-Wiccan??? [Or Eclectic neo-pagan, better yet]

i dont call myself anything anymore, i just correct all the itty bits on the web saying "i can turn my teacher into jello fear me!" those ones are just psycho though...

As for the rude correctors:
What if you were a Wiccan in a lineaged in a coven; you've studied hard to be where you are, and then you hear about some kids picking up a book, then declaring themselves Wiccan??
I'd be pissed, too. ><;
Also, as Violet just stated, if you'd been drilling in peoples' heads for a while that internet Wicca is not, in fact, Wicca, and saw the message STILL hadnt been spreading, you'd get snappy after awhile.
Not only that, most of the time they have to argue for awhile to finally make the person understand their misconception of Wicca. And often those being corrected arent all so willing to give up their internet Wicca.
So I think the rudeness is justified. [Well, in some cases, there's exceptions xD]

no, being rude is just fun.

Plus, the amount of eclectic "wiccans" VASTLY outnumbers the amount of real Wiccans. It'd be hard for them to just out them.
>.<;; Especially because if you were a teenager eager to cast "magik", you'd rather listen to the neo-pagan person telling you that you can be Wiccan and do so rather than to the real Wiccan telling you of all the hardships you'd have to face to join the Wiccan ranks.

><;; Sorry for the rant. I've had friends before that were "Wiccan" and its so aggravating to explain over and over again that Internet Wicca just isnt Wicca.

Good thing i didn't learn it off the internet then. I wasn't allowed to touch computers when i started...

Meh. If I decide I really want to be wiccan, I'll find a coven that'll initiate me after I've graduated college.
If not, i'll just be pagan and just keep yelling at the intentionaly ignorant. (which I would do either way.)  

mechanical kitsy
Crew

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:57 pm
xXx kitsy xXx

Good thing i didn't learn it off the internet then. I wasn't allowed to touch computers when i started...

Meh. If I decide I really want to be wiccan, I'll find a coven that'll initiate me after I've graduated college.
If not, i'll just be pagan and just keep yelling at the intentionaly ignorant. (which I would do either way.)

If you're a proper person, and you manage to find a coven who you're a good fit for. Covens do not accept just anyone, and it's not automatic that you find one, you join, and you become an initiate.

If you're lucky, you will. If you are called to be priesthood by the Gods of the Wicca, you definetely will. Otherwise - you may just find Wicca is not what you thought, and isn't for you.  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games