Reply Twilight - The Book, by Stephenie Meyer
What do you think of Stepheine Meyer?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Author is...
  Awesome! She's the best!
  She's pretty cool. I do enjoy the Twilight series.
  She's okay. I'm not a big fan.
  So-So. Anything else?
View Results

IntotheDestiny

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:43 pm
Lots of people think she's a so-so author. Some people think she's a lousy author. Others love her work.

Me: I do enjoy her work but sometimes I'm on the fence.

What do you think? After reading the series and The Host, what is your personal thought about this? And also her reaction to the Midnight Sun downloads....

Note: If this question has already been asked, Just ingore if you wish.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:34 pm
Like you, I'm sort of on the fence.

I can't explain to myself exactly why I like Twilight so much. In all honesty, throughout the whole series, I can find many more weaknesses in her writing than I can strengths. All in all, if I'm being honest, I don't think her novels are that well-written. That being said, I do enjoy reading the series, so she must be doing something right.

As for her reaction to the whole MS mess, I think she is handling it very unprofessionally. My personal opinion is that she's tired of Twilight and she's using the leak as an excuse not to write about it anymore. All throughout BD, I got the distinct impression that she was just rushing to get the book done and didn't care about the story as much as she did in the earlier books. When the leak happened, it probably seemed like a perfect excuse not to finish it. *shrug* That's my personal theory, anyway.  

Glitterbean

.Bucket.of.Joy.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:34 pm
I think she's a great writer.
She doesn't use really complex sentences and advanced words that I can't understand. I don't like to think too much about what I'm trying to read, I just like to read it. She uses simple sentences, but they still create vivid mental images. She leaves enough room so that each character becomes the readers own.
Plus, she's pretty damn creative. There's no way in hell I would ever be able to think up the things she does. It blow my mind.

About Midnight Sun, I don't think she's handing it badly, I don't really have an opinion on this because I don't know what it's like. I don't know what it feels like to have your work slipped out from under you and shown prematurely to the world. It can't be fun. So I don't have an opinion. Come talk to me if I ever have my partial draft illegally leaked.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:26 pm
I enjoy her books a lot. My mom has read them more than I have! They might as well be hers because I hardly ever see them.

I don't blame her for her reaction I'd be pretty mad if one of my stories was leaked prematurely so I think she's doing what she thinks is best.  

Queen-of-the-Rogue

Merry Muse

16,700 Points
  • Wintersday Bard 50
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Advent Attendee 50

celestialheiress

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:07 am
Glitterbean
Like you, I'm sort of on the fence.

I can't explain to myself exactly why I like Twilight so much. In all honesty, throughout the whole series, I can find many more weaknesses in her writing than I can strengths. All in all, if I'm being honest, I don't think her novels are that well-written. That being said, I do enjoy reading the series, so she must be doing something right.

As for her reaction to the whole MS mess, I think she is handling it very unprofessionally. My personal opinion is that she's tired of Twilight and she's using the leak as an excuse not to write about it anymore. All throughout BD, I got the distinct impression that she was just rushing to get the book done and didn't care about the story as much as she did in the earlier books. When the leak happened, it probably seemed like a perfect excuse not to finish it. *shrug* That's my personal theory, anyway.

I totally agree with you. Maybe she leaked it herself so she wouldnt have to write anymore...breaking dawn was such a waste of my life it was ridiculous. I'm not sad that MS isn't happening anymore anyway, it was kind of boring because it seemed that stephenie just stopped trying.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:57 pm
I really can't tell anyone why I enjoyed twilight so much, but I guess I loved New moon even more because well hey it should have ended there. She did the best that she could but in all reality the books do suck. They have the rising action take the whole book and then you get a blip on the falling action.

At least with the harry potter books the rising action had plot and wasnt just talking about how great the guy was and all that jazz. I really think that she could have stopped straying her thoughts the whole time. I couldnt read it more than once because Bella is a scatterbrain one minute she is talking about pheonix and then the next she is wanting to kill herself because Edward was in danger. Plus Bella is a pansy she needs more character development.

I guess also my great distaste for the book now is because of the publicity. i loved it when hardly anyone knew about it. Thats when it was awesome.

This is my opinion you don't need to kill me about it just so you know  

VampirePrincessOftheNorth

Twilight Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:24 pm
I haven't read The Host, but I've heard from people who have read both that and the Twilight series, that it's a much better book. I don't think that Meyer is the worst author there is, but the reason that her Twilight series was so popular was because she wrote something that hadn't been seen in a really long time.

But BD really killed me. I actually was at the Midnight Masque release, and I read about... halfway through the book (just at the end of Book 2) that night, and then I just forced myself to stop because it was just SO. DAMN. BAD. I mean, I've read a LOT of bad books in my life, and I think that this was one of the crappiest ones I've ever read. It took every vampire cliché and then butchered them in a way that was completely painful to read.

Plus, she turned one of my favorite characters into a *****, and that cannot be forgiven.

I think she just was trying to make sure everyone had a happy ending; and that just doesn't happen. And there was no action. The book was so bad that by the time the Volturi arrived, I was hoping that they were all going to die just so that I'd feel better about having put myself through the hell of reading it.

Besides, I had always hated Bella; I found her very flat and, to put it bluntly, mentally insane; not too mention horribly and incredibly selfish. The fact that she needs a man to be 'whole' is just.. GRAH. Normally I'm more articulated then this when arguing about the series, but I think I'm too frustrated with it to really care anymore.

The reason I liked the series was it had potential, but Meyer didn't do it justice. She took her own creation, took it behind the shed, and shot it; then proceeded to attempt to wring its poor body of everything that had once made it even remotely good; not realizing that it had that when alive. To me, the series died.

And MS? I didn't even know until I found out MONTHS after she announced that she'd put it on a hiatus that it had been leaked. And by that point, I was past caring. I've pretty much moved on, and now, I just write the fanfiction that I feel like for this series. And that is the only reason why I am still in the fandom, really.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:04 pm
I like her. She makes the book easy to read, so we don't care about how good the literature is, but how the story goes. But, yeah, BD wasn't the best. I liked it though, not loved it.

But, the Host, I mean, I loved it so much. It's so much better than twilight, because...well, it just seems less corny and there's more...um...seriousness? XD

The host seems more human, and it portrays what human beings would do in real life.  

WineChan

The Kraken

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:16 am
I used to like her a little bit, when I was more into the books, but I never resorted to calling her a "god" as I've heard many people call her. It's really weird: Like, when Robert Pattinson was cast as Edward. For the first week or two, I wasn't able to find someone that liked his casting choice, but as soon as Stephenie issued a statement of her thoughts on his casting--the fact that SHE liked him--most of the fans' opinions flip-flopped to match Stephenie's. Same thing with Breaking Dawn. Nobody liked it, but when Stephenie said that she was happy with the way that it ended, all of the fans were happy, too.
Me, however, I stuck with my opinions that most people have changed their views on--hate Robert Pattinson, and don't really like Breaking Dawn--and respectively gone to the dark side and rather dislike Stephenie. Seriously, she could run a cult if she wanted to. She probably already is. You all just don't know it.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:05 am
The Kraken
I used to like her a little bit, when I was more into the books, but I never resorted to calling her a "god" as I've heard many people call her. It's really weird: Like, when Robert Pattinson was cast as Edward. For the first week or two, I wasn't able to find someone that liked his casting choice, but as soon as Stephenie issued a statement of her thoughts on his casting--the fact that SHE liked him--most of the fans' opinions flip-flopped to match Stephenie's. Same thing with Breaking Dawn. Nobody liked it, but when Stephenie said that she was happy with the way that it ended, all of the fans were happy, too.
Me, however, I stuck with my opinions that most people have changed their views on--hate Robert Pattinson, and don't really like Breaking Dawn--and respectively gone to the dark side and rather dislike Stephenie. Seriously, she could run a cult if she wanted to. She probably already is. You all just don't know it.

Well that makes me feel alot better. I thought I was the only one. Alot of ppl (including here on the guild) (don't kill me) were hating on ppl like me. I'm just being honest. That and well steph prefers to hear from honest ppl. She said theres a bunch of fans saying "OMG awesome yeah!" but only 1 that can honestly tell you the truth. And that being said...idk how I feel about Twilight anymore.  

Evil_Dark_Kitty

habiku

5,400 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:13 pm
She's pretty good, I've read all her books several times. I agree with Kittycharm, the host seems more human.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:37 pm
I really liked Rob as Edward in the first place my view on him never changed I actually hated and still do the fact that they casted Kirsten as Bella. I don't change my views on something. I've been acting since I was 6 and I know when someone is faking and Kirsten is a really good actress but for that role she needed to do a little more character development. In my opinion.

As for stephenie starting a cult I wouldnt doubt it other than the fact that she is methodist  

Angels_can_fly2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:00 pm
User Image
I really liked Rob as Edward in the first place my view on him never changed I actually hated and still do the fact that they casted Kirsten as Bella. I don't change my views on something. I've been acting since I was 6 and I know when someone is faking and Kirsten is a really good actress but for that role she needed to do a little more character development. In my opinion.

As for stephenie starting a cult I wouldnt doubt it other than the fact that she is methodist

Actually, she's LDS (Mormon).
User Image

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:08 pm
Angels_can_fly2
User Image

Actually, she's LDS (Mormon).
User Image

Thats what I ment lolz I just get so confuzzled with the christianities that I just say the first one that comes to mind.  

Kukira Shikari

4,800 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:31 pm
I really like Stephenie's writing style. The series is written so that everyone can find their own specific meaning to it. Even before the series, my own style of writing was very similar to hers. When I compared a short story I had written on the supernatural four years ago, before I had even heard of twilight, to Twilight, the tone, mood, and purpose were scarily similar. The books were amazing, some of the best. However, the movie ruined my opinion of Stephenie and the production company. The horrible job they did transcribing from book to screenplay was terrifying. And the actor they chose to play Edward did not suit the personification at all. Sorry ppl, but Robert Pattinson is downright ugly. Loved the acting ability, but he just doesn't look the part.  
Twilight - The Book, by Stephenie Meyer

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games