Submit

dreamsk

Moonlight Sweetheart

52,925 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Coloring Champion 0
  • Snowball Sharpshooter 50
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:35 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Produced some of the greatest animated movies out there. Several anime features created by Studio Ghibli have won the Animage Anime Grand Prix award including Laputa: Castle in the Sky in 1986, My Neighbor Totoro in 1988, and Kiki's Delivery Service in 1989. In 2002, Spirited Away won an Oscar for Best Animated Feature, the first anime film to win an Academy Award.

Well known for:
Laputa: Castle in the Sky
My Neighbor Totoro
Kiki's Delivery Service (Played on Disney Channel when I was a kid)
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
Howl's Moving Castle

Whats your favorite Ghibli film? Why? What ones not listed do you think are undermined? Over glorified?

My third grade teacher showed us Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke. Those two will always have a place in my heart...Another one, for the family, would be "My Neighbors the Yamadas". Its cute and surprisingly entertaining.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:28 pm
I would have to say Spirited Away, because that movie to me its just adorable but not in the overly corny way. I've never seen it from the beginning though.
How does it start?
I always get into it when she is hiding and the prince is getting her to eat something or else she'll disappear.  

Destructive-Kiwi
Vice Captain

Dapper Gekko

8,500 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Generous 100
  • Person of Interest 200

Bani Slasher

Fluffy Exhibitionist

13,900 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:29 pm
Her family is driving through the mounties and goes through this tunnel (the same one that the family walks out of in the end and says wtf) to find a fair ground somewhere. The parents chow down on some food and turn into pigs and she gets freaked out.

I have to admit, My Neighbor Totoro is my first Anime, I watched it when I was a wee little fellow and I used to go to block-buster often.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:39 pm
Aha! Thanks!
What's My Neighbor Totoro about?  

Destructive-Kiwi
Vice Captain

Dapper Gekko

8,500 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Generous 100
  • Person of Interest 200

Bani Slasher

Fluffy Exhibitionist

13,900 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:55 pm
Some kids find the Studio Ghibli mascot in the woods near their new house and make friends with it.

Oh yeah, and how freakin' awesome a Catbus is.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:29 pm
Oh my gee, that is so funny with a hint of creapy. I'll have to watch it sometime, yes!
I wanted to see Howl's Moving Castle for awhile but I always seem to forget to get it.  

Destructive-Kiwi
Vice Captain

Dapper Gekko

8,500 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Generous 100
  • Person of Interest 200

dreamsk

Moonlight Sweetheart

52,925 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Coloring Champion 0
  • Snowball Sharpshooter 50
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:35 am
You could probably find the movies online if you looked hard enough. ninja

It's usually Ghibli, DBZ or Pokemon that were the gateway drugs (into anime) for our generation. razz  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:34 pm
Actually, it was years after I'd realized how much I didn't like DBZ and Pokemon before I actually found a liking for anime in general.

Bani Slasher

Fluffy Exhibitionist

13,900 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Destructive-Kiwi
Vice Captain

Dapper Gekko

8,500 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Generous 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:13 pm
I've saw Pokemon, Sailer Moon and that one French anime that was popular.. oh! Code Lyoku! I think?
But what got me into anime were friends, I would hear about anime but I never saw it. I ended up scrolling through channels at about either 12-2am because I had somewhere to go to at 3am and then I saw my first Inuyasha episode. I remembered hearing about it and was drawn from there.
I was addicted to it since then, recorded episodes on tapes and such. I got bored with Inuyasha and the repetitive nature but then it stopped coming on for awhile.
What was the anime that got you hooked?  
Anime

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff