Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Quick question

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

[ Nicolette ]

6,100 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:42 pm
Not sure if I'm posting this in the right section, but... :c Ah well.

I don't have the ability to smell, and I was wondering that if and when I am able to perform rituals, would I still have to use incense? I would use it anyway to get the god/dess[es]' attention for rituals that require contacting Them, but if I am meditating, is there any reason to use it then?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:01 pm
[ Nicolette ]
Not sure if I'm posting this in the right section, but... :c Ah well.

I don't have the ability to smell, and I was wondering that if and when I am able to perform rituals, would I still have to use incense? I would use it anyway to get the god/dess[es]' attention for rituals that require contacting Them, but if I am meditating, is there any reason to use it then?

Thanks!

I would think it depends on whether your path requires the presence of the elements, really. Most circle casting techniques that are Wiccan (or Wiccan-inspired) involve purifying the circle in the four elements; incense is traditionally used to represent Air. Even if you can't smell it, the smoke's presence cleanses and purifies the circle's boundary.  

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

Aryain Flames

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:19 pm
i agree with morgandria, however, i have always seen a feather as a suitable representation of the Air element, so i suppose you could use that in place of incense if u so wished.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:02 pm
I've know people to use wind chimes as well, though usually the only time I really seen anyone substitute is when they were allergic to smoke.  

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

[ Nicolette ]

6,100 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:11 pm
Okay, thanks for your replies everyone. : D I think if I cast a circle I will be more inclined to use an alternative symbol for air, though I will be using incense to cast it three times when I'm not lazy. XD Or if I'm asking for something.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:56 pm
[ Nicolette ]
Okay, thanks for your replies everyone. : D I think if I cast a circle I will be more inclined to use an alternative symbol for air, though I will be using incense to cast it three times when I'm not lazy. XD Or if I'm asking for something.

Assuming you're doing some kind of outer-court Wicca-flavoured practice here, why are you using the elemental representations to cast with? It's usual to cast the circle with a blade (athame, or a sword). Three times is the usual method of casting, for its' own reason, but I'm just trying to understand why you're doing it the way you are? After all, the traditional elemental representations (salt, water, incense, Fire candle) aren't directional energy tools.

Can you give me a clearer description of what you're doing and why?  

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:22 pm
I use my athame to cast my circle then I go around it a second time and sprinkle it with my salt water (water and earth), then around the third time with my smudge stick (fire and air). I'm not using the other elements to actually cast with, but they are a part of my setting up my circle. Not sure if that's how/why she is doing it, but I can see where they all could be used.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:41 am
too2sweet
I use my athame to cast my circle then I go around it a second time and sprinkle it with my salt water (water and earth), then around the third time with my smudge stick (fire and air). I'm not using the other elements to actually cast with, but they are a part of my setting up my circle. Not sure if that's how/why she is doing it, but I can see where they all could be used.

I think what I'm not understanding is why are you specifically casting with elemental objects. They're part of creating the circle, but when I say casting I mean the actual point in your circle setup where you are cutting your ritual space out of our physical plane and placing it in-between the Realms. You can't do that with a dish of salt, or incense smoke.

I've been taught to cast the circle three times: literally, this is three passes with a ritual blade - a coven sword, or your athame. It's one pass for each 'layer' - physical, mental, and spiritual - that you are cutting free of our normal existence. The blade's presence is symbolic, on one level, but it is also a very specific energy tool, and you are cutting with that projected energy as well, through the different energetic layers.

This act is sandwiched between cleansing the participants of the rite and sweeping the circle area with a besom, and cleansing the cast circle in the four individual elements and calling the quarters. A final consecration after this, at the north east 'entrance', effectively sets the circle and seals it. Without a consecration of some kind, a circle is not properly cast.

It's important to have the elements present, for cleansing and consecration in those elements. Without them, the circle is unbalanced (for Wiccan ritual, at any rate). But, if you take aside all the purifications, what is essentially the circle's casting is the blade cutting the space out, and the consecration.

It's something to consider. It's one of the things I don't think many people understand - they primarily see the circle as a boundary, or some sort of magic fence. It is - but rather than keeping something in or out, because it's dangerous, it's to define the area you are moving from our physical plane, to a space that is closer to the spiritual plane. It's literally meeting the Gods half-way.

It's why I think spellwork (unless it's a style of ritual high magic that might involve deities in heavy doses) doesn't really require circle-casting. Primarily your effort is to raise energy, shape it with will and intent, and then send it on to do its' work in the physical plane. We're living on it. Our efforts involve the mental and spiritual, certainly, but in the end it's all going to manifest here, in our physical reality. For that, I see no need to
move between worlds - do it all in the realm you're living in.  

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

[ Nicolette ]

6,100 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:25 pm
Morgandria

Assuming you're doing some kind of outer-court Wicca-flavoured practice here, why are you using the elemental representations to cast with? It's usual to cast the circle with a blade (athame, or a sword). Three times is the usual method of casting, for its' own reason, but I'm just trying to understand why you're doing it the way you are? After all, the traditional elemental representations (salt, water, incense, Fire candle) aren't directional energy tools.

Well I wouldn't dare call myself Wicca, as that's just rude of me, so just call me a novice pagan trying to figure out the best--as in best for me--practices to use. XD I only cast circles since I've heard of older pagan cultures casting. It's just hearsay, and is possibly incorrect, but I'm comfortable with the idea of casting, to be able to meet the gods, as you say, half-way. I'm still exploring all sorts of rituals, so forgive me if this sounds a little odd. XD

While I use a staff or blade to set the space apart, I cast like that [purifying and consecrating] to remind myself that since these elements are found in our realm, the circle is also of our realm, but at the same time I have to make it pure and holy so that the gods might find the space suitable for a meeting ground. I'll only cast circles if I need to call an audience with a god/dess, such as times when prayer is not enough, or if I am making an offering, or performing a petitionary prayer i.e. asking for something. At all times I will cast the circle three times, of course, but I may not purify or consecrate the space, if I am incapable, like if I am casting out of doors, I will use a staff to cast three times, but not use the elements [though they will be present].

Perhaps it's sort of incorrect to call purifying and consecrating 'casting' in themselves, but when summed up as a single step, I simply call it casting. So sorry if that confused you. XD

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:43 am
[ Nicolette ]
Morgandria

Well I wouldn't dare call myself Wicca, as that's just rude of me, so just call me a novice pagan trying to figure out the best--as in best for me--practices to use. XD I only cast circles since I've heard of older pagan cultures casting. It's just hearsay, and is possibly incorrect, but I'm comfortable with the idea of casting, to be able to meet the gods, as you say, half-way. I'm still exploring all sorts of rituals, so forgive me if this sounds a little odd. XD

While I use a staff or blade to set the space apart, I cast like that [purifying and consecrating] to remind myself that since these elements are found in our realm, the circle is also of our realm, but at the same time I have to make it pure and holy so that the gods might find the space suitable for a meeting ground. I'll only cast circles if I need to call an audience with a god/dess, such as times when prayer is not enough, or if I am making an offering, or performing a petitionary prayer i.e. asking for something. At all times I will cast the circle three times, of course, but I may not purify or consecrate the space, if I am incapable, like if I am casting out of doors, I will use a staff to cast three times, but not use the elements [though they will be present].

Perhaps it's sort of incorrect to call purifying and consecrating 'casting' in themselves, but when summed up as a single step, I simply call it casting. So sorry if that confused you. XD

Thank you for sharing; I understand better now what you're doing and why. smile  

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games