Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
spiral goddess?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:50 pm
fertility goddess? mother earth? or earth's mother?

is she wiccan? or is she pagan?

these are my serious questions. i know that her image was created by an artist in the late 70s (if i'm not mistaken) but i can not find any steadfast information on her. what are your thoughts?

also, while we're here are the pentacle and the triple goddess symbol pagan symbols or specifically wiccan symbols? i have been studying for 5 years and yet i always get different answers on the net and in books and most of you here seem to know what you are talking about (and when you don't know you're honest about it, you don't just make something up and i really admire and appreciate that) heart  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:04 pm
whiporwill-o

these are my serious questions. i know that her image was created by an artist in the late 70s (if i'm not mistaken) but i can not find any steadfast information on her. what are your thoughts?

also, while we're here are the pentacle and the triple goddess symbol pagan symbols or specifically wiccan symbols? i have been studying for 5 years and yet i always get different answers on the net and in books and most of you here seem to know what you are talking about (and when you don't know you're honest about it, you don't just make something up and i really admire and appreciate that) heart

I tend to think of the idea/image of the spiral goddess as a New-Age Goddess worship sort of thing. It's pagan, but I wouldn't say that it's Wiccan. Wicca has a very specific goddess - this goddess is not Gaia, and Wicca does not involve earth-worship.

The pentacle is not specifically Wiccan. It is used a lot by Wicca and Wiccans, and it is an important symbol, but other paths use it as well.

The triple-moon symbol, in that it specifically relates to the triple goddess concept, is not specifically Wiccan. Some Wiccans may use it, but the idea originates with Robert Graves long-debunked "The White Goddess", which predates Wicca.  

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:11 pm
Morgandria
whiporwill-o

I tend to think of the idea/image of the spiral goddess as a New-Age Goddess worship sort of thing. It's pagan, but I wouldn't say that it's Wiccan. Wicca has a very specific goddess - this goddess is not Gaia, and Wicca does not involve earth-worship.

The pentacle is not specifically Wiccan. It is used a lot by Wicca and Wiccans, and it is an important symbol, but other paths use it as well.

The triple-moon symbol, in that it specifically relates to the triple goddess concept, is not specifically Wiccan. Some Wiccans may use it, but the idea originates with Robert Graves long-debunked "The White Goddess", which predates Wicca.

thank you for answering ^^  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:37 pm
Two pictures pop in my head when you say "spiral goddess"

The one on your siggy and this one:

User Image

{sorry if it's alittle big sweatdrop }

But this is also called the spiral goddess as well as the three sisters, spiral trinity and etc. {slightly depends on the witch, actually}

Celtic recontructualists often use this symbol which dates back to, correct me if I'm wrong, back to the celtic era? O.o

This symbol is used by pagans, mostly celtic ones and arely used by wiccans o.o

And... this doesn't matter, But I like it alot ^^

{Ignore me if I'm just reciting an old song to you xD}

Namikikyo

AiRune

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:10 pm
The image posted above is typically associated with the Triple Goddess.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:17 pm
Namikikyo

But this is also called the spiral goddess as well as the three sisters, spiral trinity and etc. {slightly depends on the witch, actually}

Celtic recontructualists often use this symbol which dates back to, correct me if I'm wrong, back to the celtic era? O.o

{Ignore me if I'm just reciting an old song to you xD}

The symbol above is called a triskele. It's specifically an Irish symbol, used to represent the Three Realms of Land, Sea, and Sky.

It may have been appropriated by other pagan paths and groups as a symbol of the "triple goddess", but it has no origin in that mythology or any association with a goddess.

Other forms of triskelion exist, and represent other concepts.  

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:31 pm
Namikikyo

sweatdrop
}

{Ignore me if I'm just reciting an old song to you xD}" class="user_img" alt="User Image" />

not at all ^^ i have a necklace with this charm on it and had always heard it called the 'celtic knot'. i bought it long, long before i had ever looked into paganism - maybe i've always been pagan and just never knew, lol.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:43 pm
As far as I know, the Spiral Goddess is simply a general representation of "the" Goddess, not any specific one, and is primarily used in Goddess centered paths.  

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

Namikikyo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:40 am
whiporwill-o
Namikikyo

sweatdrop
}

{Ignore me if I'm just reciting an old song to you xD}" class="user_img" alt="User Image" />

not at all ^^ i have a necklace with this charm on it and had always heard it called the 'celtic knot'. i bought it long, long before i had ever looked into paganism - maybe i've always been pagan and just never knew, lol.

lol, That's usually what alot of us feel. It's proof that at some point in our lives, we were drawn to these paths. It's really amazing to look back on life and see all the signs, almost like it was calling to us. lol, reading back on what I just typed.. it sounds so cheesy xD Anyways, I really like this sign alot, I was really attracted to it long before I knew what it was :3 I want to get a necklace with it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:06 am
as far as i know, they are pagan goddesses, not only wiccan.  

Aryain Flames

Angelbaby In Love

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:02 pm
The pentacle originated as a Native American symbol, now they don't use it anymore due to Wiccans and Pagans using it.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:17 pm
Fairy Queen Tatyana
The pentacle originated as a Native American symbol, now they don't use it anymore due to Wiccans and Pagans using it.

I'd be interested in seeing some proof or other sources for this.

I think the pentacle also was tied to Christianity for a while; it represented the five wounds of Christ.  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:20 pm
Fairy Queen Tatyana

A) The 'Native Americans' are a vast number of nations and peoples, who are very different from one another. You can't lump them all in together; each nation has its' own religious societies and beliefs.

B) Like Violet, I likewise would like to see the evidence for such a claim regarding the pentacle. I've never heard or seen such a thing.  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games