Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Peer Review

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Eviesee645

Hitched Sex Symbol

20,150 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Way Too Many Pies 300
  • Overstocked 200
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:24 pm
Has anyone else here ever had a very bad peer review in an English class? We peer reviewed in my English class this thursday, and the girl reviewing my paper un-corrected my grammar. She deleted every single comma before every single conjunction in my entire paper, and she also changed the wording when there was nothing wrong with the way it was before.
Share your peer editing horror stories.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:01 pm
Good lord, I absolutely hate that! xp About three years ago, my class (as usual) was busy writing third quarter reports. I had written a report on the seven wonders of the ancient world, and the girl who peer edited my paper crossed out my quotations in my quotes! I realize that she just didn't understand. Peer editing is helpful because it teaches both the writer and the editor. But I knew I was right, so I asked the teacher (who loved me), and she said that I was right the first time. The other girl accepted that answer with, "Oh. Sorry." I'm not upset by her; getting defensive is my instinctive reaction when someone "corrects" what is already correct. I am very possessive of my own written words. rolleyes  

Cherished Strawberries

950 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100

Niccea Majeare

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:35 am
I got a good one! We have this place on campus called "The Write Site." They are basically a bunch of English Grad Students that go over your paper with you.

I brought in a paper for my class and the guy made a ton of changes to it. I wasn't all to sure about them, but I was a freshman and a non-English major. (Though an English professor on campus said that I would be a good rhetoric minor).

Any who. I turned the corrected paper into my teacher and she gave me a low grade on it. (Not failing just lower than normal.)

At the end of the semester the teacher allowed us to rewrite our papers for a letter grade raise. I took that paper and undid all the edits (I saved a copy of it without the edits.) Of course I went over all the grammatical errors.

To make a long story short, I turned a rough draft into my teacher and got a higher grade.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:57 pm
Those are some great stories. I have an update on my paper. I made a B+/A- without changing any of the things she said I should.  

Eviesee645

Hitched Sex Symbol

20,150 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Way Too Many Pies 300
  • Overstocked 200

Inylysia x

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:37 am
User Image
Too bad for me, I didn't have a chance to experience peer review.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:22 am
User Image
XxX

I just hate when people do that! Sorry, I don't have a story to tell, but I've experienced it before.

XxX  

Critical Cookies

Eviesee645

Hitched Sex Symbol

20,150 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Way Too Many Pies 300
  • Overstocked 200
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:16 am
You will not believe this but it happened again! I think that anyone who deletes a comma before a conjunction should be sterilized so they don't pass on the stupid.
Actually she deleted my semicolon too! Just because you don't know how to use it doesn't mean I don't!
OK I'm done ranting, but I never want to peer review in English again...  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:11 am
That's why I always try to get two or three peer reviews, and I try to go to the people that I know will find all my errors without un-correcting parts of my paper.

A couple years ago, after peer edits, the teacher would read the papers. Halfway through the year, two or three people weren't allowed to peer edit anymore since they made so many mistakes. I'm just glad that my paper never fell under their pen.  

MyOwnBestCritic

Dapper Dabbler

Varof

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:28 pm
I wish that I could share your experiences, but everytime I have had need to udnergo peer review, they simply acted like they were doing work, but in the end didn't even read the title of the paper. I simply hate it when they shun me from any group work, and I am one of the brightest students in my class of dim witted trolls.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games