Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do YOU believe in this?
  Yes
  No
View Results

Death Shikaku

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:01 pm
Oh nooooooooooooooooo!! (Mr. Bill reference.)

[rant]Why does anyone believe in this? It's bullcrap. They said the world was going to end in 06-06-06, but it didn't. They said the world was going to end in 07-07-07 but it still didn't. I know tons of people who are like, "Holy crap! By the time I graduate I'll be dead!" or, "By the time I am in college I'll be dead!" (I'm a freshman, I graduate in 2012, and I have many juniors/seniors as friends.)
...shut up. It's fake. I can't believe my friends are saying this crap. So what if the Mayans (or the Chinese, or whoever) didn't finish their calender. I'm surprised they made it far enough to 2009 without quitting, letalone 1012. Dudes, chill out if you believe in this. It's fake. The world's not going to end.

Who here believes this? [/rant]  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:24 pm
It's not so much that the Mayans didn't finish there calendar, but that December of 2012 is where their form of time stops. I'm not sure exactly how the process works, but the Mayans were able to discover when the world began without any of our modern day technology, and they applied the same formula to see if they could find end. I'm not trying to say that the Mayans are the ones who are right, because every race, culture, and religion has some theory as to when the world as we know it may come to an end. There have been hundreds of attempts to date the end of the world throughout the centuries, and obviously none of them right because we are still alive today.  

Evil Pillows

Zizzykitty
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:15 pm
Oh, your explanation makes much more sense than any of my theories, Evil Pilllows.

I figured their race just died out or they were too busy fighting other ancient civilizations to finish their calendar.

Either way, I figure if the world ends, it ends. I don't really believe it though.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:48 pm
The way I see it, it's all too similar to Y2K. Prophets have attempted at predicting the end of the world using algorithms for millennia, and it's never happened. I suppose at the end of the day, we'll all know.

Flyentologist

Dornkus
Crew

Werewolf

11,300 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Hunter 50
  • The Wolf Within 100
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:52 pm
Same here. If it happens it happens. No point in worrying about it.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:54 pm
Evil Pillows
It's not so much that the Mayans didn't finish there calendar, but that December of 2012 is where their form of time stops. I'm not sure exactly how the process works, but the Mayans were able to discover when the world began without any of our modern day technology, and they applied the same formula to see if they could find end. I'm not trying to say that the Mayans are the ones who are right, because every race, culture, and religion has some theory as to when the world as we know it may come to an end. There have been hundreds of attempts to date the end of the world throughout the centuries, and obviously none of them right because we are still alive today.

If i remember right, the Mayans had the belief that the world was constantly ended and reborn so every couple fo thousand years it would die and a new one would go in it's places.
For example, the beareded-whiteskinned Queztapoctl (can't spell) God was a sign the end was coming, and (by coincidence) the Spanish turned up at this time and proceeded to kill them (inadvertantly or otherwise).
At any rate their view of the end of the world isn't finite, but cyclic.

Anyway, like Dornkus says, if it happens it's not as if we can do owt about it! haha
"And good ol men were drinking whiskey and wine
singin' 'this'll be the day that I die'..." xd  

dragontamer363
Crew

Moonlight_HuangHou
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:11 am
Wow...reading what everyone has to say about it makes it really interesting. o_o! So they never finished it b/c their time stopped? and it might just be a cycle instead of it just being the end? Sounds really cool. ^_^

I personally don't know what to believe so I just live my life normally.
I just thought I'd mention but...I think that even if you believe the world is gonna end you should still live life to the fullest and always do your best. I say this b/c I've heard someone or people say that they don't really care to make changes or stuff like that b/c the world is going to end anyways.

Back on subject....mayans and history is so interesting!! ^_^ I really can't remember much that I learned about them except the point that most of their predictions were right I heard?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:46 am
ooh.. interesting.. anyway.. I dont really care about the end of the world.. cause like dorknus said.. "if it'll come it'll come" - or something like that.. XD for the meantime lets just enjoy what we have! wink  

Arch Angel Neko

Dangerous Tycoon

10,350 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200

dragontamer363
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:37 pm
Moonlight_HuangHou

Back on subject....mayans and history is so interesting!! ^_^ I really can't remember much that I learned about them except the point that most of their predictions were right I heard?

They certianly panned out quite right lol
I did 'pre-conquest settlement of the Americas' for history last semester and it was really interesting - it followed a bunch of different cultures all over America (mainly south america) from the caveman stages all teh way to the 14-1500s when the spanish came over properly. Their predictions seemed to coincide with the Spanish pretty impressively-haha
But fo course, history is awlays warped around events that did happen, and sort fo backtrack explinations and further history - sort of like how black holes distort light (haha)
Anyway (now here's where I forget the names of the various cultures), teh rebirth and deat thing carried across with the Aztecs (or Mayan,s I forget which), when they came across the deserted city of Teotihuacan (I think), and they traced their linage back to the Toltecs - who they genrally showed to exist in another part of this cycle you see.I think that's right...
argh, it's only been a few months and I'm already forgetting! ><
(to be fair, there were at least 10-16+ different cultures lol)  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:41 am
By the way ...doesn't the 12/12/12 thing also match up to Christians belief about the end of the world? Like Mayans believe thats the date and some other culture that said that this would be the last great empire or something and then judgment day or Armageddon...I don't even know my facts right. XD  

Moonlight_HuangHou
Captain

dragontamer363
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:44 am
To be fair, Christians have been beliving the world was going to end since the book of revelations came out in the first place. Some of the earliest christians operated with the belief that the new church would be the first and last.
When it naturally didn't happen, they had to pick up and sart making a system and confront all the problems it presented, hence the creation of purgatory.
At any rate, predictions about the end of the world have been sporodically occuring with christians since the dawn of christianity, and the religion's survived them all lol  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:00 am
lol! Oh! So that's it!! XD

Moonlight_HuangHou
Captain

Black_Angel_Flowne

2,550 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:18 am
There's been plenty of theories of when the world will end. But I don't think the world will ever completely end. I don't believe in this so called End of the World at 12/12/12, but I do think that it may be a foretelling that something very big is going to happen during that specific time. Even if something does happen, we should just keep on with our lives. That's the best way.  
*~Purple Moonlight Haze~*

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games