Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Fam Trads?????

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Are you part of a Fam Trad?
  yes
  no
  never heard of it
  zzz...wha? i just woke up. whats the question?
  gold!
View Results

Aryain Flames

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:15 pm
Iv'e heard of these things called "family traditions" (fam trads). What are they exactly??? The impression I got was folk magick passed down Mother to daughter, Father to son, but I'm not sure if this is the correct definition. Also, assuming of course that that is the definition, if your child was adopted, could you still call yourselves a fam trad???

EDIT: thanks to Jamie's comment, I have decided to make myself more clear. To those who have never heard of the term "Fam Trad" I was reffering to the Pagan kind, not the typical traditions anyone might share with their family. Thank you Jamie, for bringing to my attention the fact that I was not clear enough.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:29 pm
ooh! I no pick me!  

Jamielynn4996

5,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Jamielynn4996

5,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:31 pm
Family traditions are things your family always do or preform at certain times or certain places. They are passed down from generation to generation, no matter if they are a girl or boy. Yes, if you adopt a child they are still part of your family, so they learn the tradition. Thats not the proper usage of the word, you cant call yourself A family tradition. You follow THE family tradition.
Hope I answered what you were looking for
Hope it helped
Hope I understood the question in the 1st place
lol biggrin  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:46 pm
Yeah, it's generally something you're raised in. Nearly all forms of Trad Witchcraft are fam trads, because they don't really trust too many people outside of the family unit. Back in The Day it would have been very bad to trust someone only to have them dob you in or something wink They didn't even necessarily trust everyone within their family; and not every family member would have been the right sort of person to teach.

Different trads do things differently. There are some who only teach the women in the family. Garrett's family were Strega, and they passed on the trad only to people who were born "with a hood".

Technically you could create your own family trad, but it wouldn't really become a family trad until it had been passed down a few generations. If you pass it down to your kids, and they grow up and change quite a few things before they pass it down, how much of a tradition is it?  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

Namikikyo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:02 pm
Sanguina Cruenta
Yeah, it's generally something you're raised in. Nearly all forms of Trad Witchcraft are fam trads, because they don't really trust too many people outside of the family unit. Back in The Day it would have been very bad to trust someone only to have them dob you in or something wink They didn't even necessarily trust everyone within their family; and not every family member would have been the right sort of person to teach.

Different trads do things differently. There are some who only teach the women in the family. Garrett's family were Strega, and they passed on the trad only to people who were born "with a hood".

Technically you could create your own family trad, but it wouldn't really become a family trad until it had been passed down a few generations. If you pass it down to your kids, and they grow up and change quite a few things before they pass it down, how much of a tradition is it?

With a hood? o.o  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:55 pm
thanx a ton peeps!  

Aryain Flames

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:29 pm
Namikikyo
Sanguina Cruenta

With a hood? o.o

She's referring to being born with a caul. It's having part of the placenta drawn over your face as you exit the womb, and it's supposed to impart the "second sight" in those who are born that way.

Some cultures also believe that children who are born with teeth, or hair, are preturnaturally gifted.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:40 pm
Morgandria
Namikikyo
Sanguina Cruenta

With a hood? o.o

She's referring to being born with a caul. It's having part of the placenta drawn over your face as you exit the womb, and it's supposed to impart the "second sight" in those who are born that way.

Some cultures also believe that children who are born with teeth, or hair, are preturnaturally gifted.

very interesting! i didnt know that!  

Aryain Flames

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:38 pm
Ahaha, ya, that's what I meant sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:58 am
My grandma taught me all about witchcraft, the traditon in my family is when someone seems to have some psychic abilties and is opened minded try and teach them one thing and give them a few years. If they come back to you then teach them the rest. The teachings usually skip a generation.  

DenvoPryde

3,800 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Aryain Flames

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:34 pm
hm. interesting. thanx for shareing!  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:14 am
It seems to me that there are a couple different contextual meanings Family Tradition can have. When I first encountered the term, I encountered in in a context whereby Fam Trads proclaimed to be ancient and passed down from generations... a sort of attempt to validate their practices by claiming to be old. Such ideas I've seen used by folks who wish to dispute that G. Gardner's Wicca is the only correct path of contemporary Witchcraft, other times it's a simple ego-trip, and a few of them actually do appear to possibly be legitimate.

There's another way you could look at Family Traditions, though. Neopaganism is coming of age. The first-gen Neopagans are having children and bringing them up in their religion. Could we call these Family Traditions, then? What role do second-generation Neopagans play here? Will this start shifting how we look at the idea of Family Traditions?  

Starlock

RubyLight

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:25 am
Honestly, I think there is a shift in the definition of Fam Trads.

My mom has taught me things she learned from her teacher who was like a second mother to her. My sister isn't that interested, but I'd like to keep most of the practices. I'd like to help develop a family tradition combining what my mother taught me with my techniques. Who knows, some day we may have a Fam Trad. (If I'm using the term correctly. sweatdrop )  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games