Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Happy Medium?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What do you think?
  Quality
  Quantity
  Both
  Happy Medium
  Neither
View Results

Niccea Majeare

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:09 pm
I'm going to try to say this as non-ranty as possible. Some recent events have brought up something for me.

I was banned from a RP guild because my posts were "too short." It is not a matter of literacy and my posts were about a paragraph long.

The members in the guild are convinced that typing a wall 'o text. Is the only way to RP.

Also, to me the wall seems to be too much. It could actually be reduced to a couple of paragraphs without subtracting from the meaning.

When I left the guild, I told the captain that I believed in the quality of a post rather than the quantity.

She told me that we varied in our beliefs.

I admit my latest posts were shorter than my average because I've been off my game a bit, but what do you think? Is there a happy medium were a post can say what needs to be said without becoming an intimidating wall? Inversely, is there was of reducing something from being a wall of text without destroying the meaning?  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:07 am
Quite honestly, I've never done a lengthy RP.
About a paragraph per post is my favourite.
With roleplays I find that I can rarely be bothered to read a long passage. Firstly, you're not always interested in what's going on, and the person is not always a good writer, and yet you have to read it to know what's going on. And secondly, I hate reading bulk text on a screen. It drives me crazy.

Ithaya

MyOwnBestCritic

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:25 pm
Sometimes, in a complicated situation, one paragraph is all you can do. I tend to not "paragraph-count" so much in action situations (I like dialogue and starting new paragraphs for new ideas), but my first post is usually close to a wall o' text, just because of the stuff I have to fit in there to please the Cap'n.

Personally, I don't like reading through wall after wall of text--anywhere from one paragraph to five (from eight to thirty sentences, I suppose) should be enough for one post, if you do it frequently enough.

What bothers me is that people who frequently misspell and forget to properly format their sentences (things such as punctuation, spacing after commas, and capitalizing) who can put out fifteen paragraphs is considered to be better than a well-formatted post with three, especially if the ill-formatted post barely contributes anything to the story.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games