Submit

Do you brew?
  Yes! Huzzah for brewers!
  No, but I drink. Huzzah for brewers!
  No, and I don't drink.
View Results

Courtesan Brigitte

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:27 pm
Today I delved into the magical world of brewing for the first time. My first batch of mead is bottled and embarking on the path of fermentation. It will sit quietly for a year, at which point I'll taste-test it. If I want it stronger at that point I'm thinking of freeze-distilling one of the five bottles, as my people would have done.

Have any of you brewed? What did you make? Did it turn out well? Discuss tips and experiences.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:06 pm
I help My neighbour brew mead it's really quite interesting and fun. He's taught me alot about brewing I love the taste tesing part though. One time we had this batch that for some reason when you opened it it exploded like the way pop does when shaken. so we had to open all the bottles and we didn't feel like waisting good mead so we each had a bottle becuase there were 5 of us and 5 bottles. Then we had to clean the mess on the celaing, walls, counter and floor from the bottles razz  

Shelby Pierre-San

LittleGreenGirl
Captain

Sparkly Prophet

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:05 am
i've never done any brewing myself, but my college group is going to learn later this year. That's one of the funny things about my campus... we can MAKE alcohol as an official group activity, but we can't DRINK the alcohol that we've made. I understand the drinking part, but it's just kinda weird that we're allowed to brew on campus.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:23 pm
littlegreengirl
i've never done any brewing myself, but my college group is going to learn later this year. That's one of the funny things about my campus... we can MAKE alcohol as an official group activity, but we can't DRINK the alcohol that we've made. I understand the drinking part, but it's just kinda weird that we're allowed to brew on campus.

we can do that too and we are allowed to drink it. We are actualy doing that as a classics club project. But Were allowed to drink it because the drinking age is 19 in Ontario and I think all of the other provinces as well excpet Quebec which is 18. so we get the best of both parts of brewing.  

Shelby Pierre-San

geminimaeve

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:42 pm
brewing is one of the big sellers for me joining the college group. I hang out with a lot of former SCAers that still brew xd  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:14 am
Shelby_73
littlegreengirl

we can do that too and we are allowed to drink it. We are actualy doing that as a classics club project. But Were allowed to drink it because the drinking age is 19 in Ontario and I think all of the other provinces as well excpet Quebec which is 18. so we get the best of both parts of brewing.

It's 18 in Mannitoba.  

Courtesan Brigitte

Not-So-Sweet Transvestite

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:27 am
<--experimenting with brew  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:15 am
I'd like to learn, but at this point the only fermentation that anything has ever undergone while in my hands has been purely accidental.  

Llelwyn

Eloquent Lunatic

7,300 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Friendly 100

Courtesan Brigitte

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:41 am
Llelwyn
I'd like to learn, but at this point the only fermentation that anything has ever undergone while in my hands has been purely accidental.

It's fairly simple. Just like neglecting the apple juice til it's cider, except for longer, and without the gross suprise. My tactic is to put a date on the container so I know how long it's been sitting. You don't want to open it too soon.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:00 am
My best friend is a brewer...lets take a guess as towards why.

as for me it certainly smells as if something is fermenting in my helmet, but I am just on the recieving side.  

Red Zomby

Not-So-Sweet Transvestite

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:02 pm
Red Zomby
My best friend is a brewer...lets take a guess as towards why.

as for me it certainly smells as if something is fermenting in my helmet, but I am just on the recieving side.

Gross! Dude, you'd better bleach and boil that helm before it gains sentience.

~beltless warrior  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:41 pm
I hope to make my first foray into the world of brewing, this weekend. I have a red ale I want to tackle. This isn't a period recipe; I want to leave those until I have a better understanding on the process in general. Will post again once the batch is under way.

My lord did brew his first batch of mead earlier this year, and it came out excellent...  

Nerienda

Courtesan Brigitte

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:38 pm
Shelby Pierre-San
littlegreengirl

Winnepeg is 18.  
SCA Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff