NJROTC Leadership academy

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Krilliad

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:47 pm
Alright guys, I need some help.
I need to get into good shape fast. I'm not in too bad of shape now, but I need to be able to run 1.5 miles in 12 minutes and do over 100 pushups/curlups.

I don't have alot of time to get into said shape, so I need some suggestions. Currently I run 2 miles every day. I do about 50-100 (between usually not up to 100) Pushups.

I need to be able to do
150 Pushups
150 Curlups
12.5 or less 1.5 mile run.

Suggestions?
Diet/excersize regiments/etc?  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:46 pm
Rule 1: Don't overreach your grasp. Start slow and rationally.

Rule 2: Dump all tobacco, caffeine, white flower and sugar products. Carbs are your enemy.

Rule 3: Keep on the move, even if slowly. Don't sit back.

Rule 4: If you can run, run! If you can walk, walk. Activities are cumulative and every thing helps.

Rule 5: Practice what you need to do, but not to the point of frustration. You won't be inclined to say "screw it" and walk away.  

Floyd

Quotable Prophet

14,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200

Desert_Fox_Rommel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:42 pm
Floyd
Rule 1: Don't overreach your grasp. Start slow and rationally.

Rule 2: Dump all tobacco, caffeine, white flower and sugar products. Carbs are your enemy.

Rule 3: Keep on the move, even if slowly. Don't sit back.

Rule 4: If you can run, run! If you can walk, walk. Activities are cumulative and every thing helps.

Rule 5: Practice what you need to do, but not to the point of frustration. You won't be inclined to say "screw it" and walk away.
If he's dumping carbs that would mean no salad either. I don't think Atkins is the way to go. Keeping with natural carbs like potatoes will be a better fuel source than refined sugar, but cutting carbs all together won't do him any favors. I can see how dumping caffeine could prove useful though since it dehydrates you.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:58 am
Stick with regular Water when you work out; sodas, energy drinks, est. will sap you quickly with all the salt in them. As my old commander once put it, "Pissin' clear, have no fear. Pissin' yellow, you're a dead fellow."  

Sidal

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:56 am
Also, that gatoraid crap puts a lot of junk along with sodium into your body.
Youd have to do more work to burn off the s**t Gatoraid puts into you.
confused

If you do dump carbs it's suggested that you drink more water to flush that crap out.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:33 am
Desert_Fox_Rommel
If he's dumping carbs that would mean no salad either. I don't think Atkins is the way to go. Keeping with natural carbs like potatoes will be a better fuel source than refined sugar, but cutting carbs all together won't do him any favors. I can see how dumping caffeine could prove useful though since it dehydrates you.

I concur on natural carbohydrates being good in limited and healthy portions. Just don't think that eating french fries is a valid way to eat potatoes when you're dieting.

I've never been a fan of salty drinks like gatorade. Your individual sodium intake can't be guessed or averaged. Water is more than good enough and salt pills in hot environments like the desert when needed.

Calorie counting in general terms is fine. Try to keep under 2000 calories a day and as little of that from the forbidden list. As long as you exercise and burn more than that amount, you should lose weight.  

Floyd

Quotable Prophet

14,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:39 am
When my neighbor went into the Army, he was overweight. Not grossly so, but he was chubby. He used to go to school, work, everywhere he went he had his backpack on with a 40lb barbell plate in it. And every morning before school he ran a mile with said backpack and plate. That got him into shape pretty fast. For drinking, water down gatorade 1 part gatorade to 2 parts water. Gatorade on its own is too sugary to be good for you, and drinking nothing but gatorade while working out will literally kill you. Unfortunately, the salt and s**t it puts back into you are also pretty necessary, so you really can't overlook them either. In general, I'd just pick up a few standard exercises like running, chin-ups, sit-ups, push-ups, and do any two of them every day until you feel like you're starting to over-exert yourself.

Also, I've never heard of a curl-up before. What is it?  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:00 pm
OberFeldwebel
Also, that gatoraid crap puts a lot of junk along with sodium into your body.
Youd have to do more work to burn off the s**t Gatoraid puts into you.
confused

If you do dump carbs it's suggested that you drink more water to flush that crap out.

According to my biology teacher gatorade really is helpful as long as it is diluted down. The concentration available is too much of the sodium and sugar, but when watered down it can help. I don't know if that's true though. I guess it makes sense.

Floyd: Getting into shape doesn't necessarily mean having to drop the pounds. It could mean getting stronger or increasing endurance. Anyway proper diet goes hand in hand with exercise. Frozen fries that are oven baked for example give you the natural carbs of potatoes without the grease.  

Desert_Fox_Rommel

Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff