Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
wtf is a flying spaghetti monster?!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:01 pm
have any of you heard of this? what is it and why?

i don't understand gonk i tried looking it up online and i still don't get it.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:07 pm
ROFL!
Hail his noodley appendage!

The FSM is a parody religion created by mostly atheists to challenge the decision of Intelligent Design being taught in public schools in either Nebraska or Kansas (I get the two mixed up).
This letter might be helpful if you haven't read it already.  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:18 pm
as much as that explains, i'm afraid it only raises more questions confused

i am still confused by this... is it just a very elaborate joke or is it really a religion?

i don't like not understanding things crying  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:44 pm
whiporwill-o
as much as that explains, i'm afraid it only raises more questions confused

i am still confused by this... is it just a very elaborate joke or is it really a religion?

i don't like not understanding things crying

Well, what other questions does it raise for you? Can't get answers unless you ask, right? wink .

It's a bit of both, honestly.  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

Kyreie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:31 am
ROTFLMAO!!! rofl This is just way too funny!

From looking over the website, the impression I get is that the whole FSM thing started out as a joke, just a way to protest what was being taught in the schools there.

As for it being a real religion, I don't think people really believe that there is a plate of pasta out there running things, but I can understand how it may be getting a following. I think we've all run into those people who are quite willing to tell you that their god is the only true god and if you don't believe or you don't belong to the right church or you don't spend 20 minutes in prayer on your lunchbreak or whatever, you'll be spending eternity in the hot place! For those people (me included!) who should be getting out the SPF500 sunblock, FSMism is a way of having a little fun with the whole thing. If you go to the website and check out the "hate mail" section, you may understand what I mean.

It's my own personal opinion that just about any religion can be seen as ridiculous if you look at it in the right light. The Greek goddess Athena sprang full grown from the head of Zeus. In Egypt, Osiris' brother Set killed him and tore him apart, Isis gathered up the pieces and brought him back to life. And I found this definition of Christianity:

Quote:
...the belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

I think that, if people have actually joined FSMism, it's not because they believe in the monster, it's because they believe it's all ridiculous and this is their way of saying it. After all, can you imagine the response you'd get if someone asked what religion you were and you told them "FSMism"? lol

But just in case, "All Hail the Flying Spaghetti Monster!" biggrin  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:06 am
Kyreie
ROTFLMAO!!! rofl This is just way too funny!

From looking over the website, the impression I get is that the whole FSM thing started out as a joke, just a way to protest what was being taught in the schools there.

As for it being a real religion, I don't think people really believe that there is a plate of pasta out there running things, but I can understand how it may be getting a following. I think we've all run into those people who are quite willing to tell you that their god is the only true god and if you don't believe or you don't belong to the right church or you don't spend 20 minutes in prayer on your lunchbreak or whatever, you'll be spending eternity in the hot place! For those people (me included!) who should be getting out the SPF500 sunblock, FSMism is a way of having a little fun with the whole thing. If you go to the website and check out the "hate mail" section, you may understand what I mean.

It's my own personal opinion that just about any religion can be seen as ridiculous if you look at it in the right light. The Greek goddess Athena sprang full grown from the head of Zeus. In Egypt, Osiris' brother Set killed him and tore him apart, Isis gathered up the pieces and brought him back to life. And I found this definition of Christianity:

Quote:
...the belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

I think that, if people have actually joined FSMism, it's not because they believe in the monster, it's because they believe it's all ridiculous and this is their way of saying it. After all, can you imagine the response you'd get if someone asked what religion you were and you told them "FSMism"? lol

But just in case, "All Hail the Flying Spaghetti Monster!" biggrin

Ooooohhhhh idea i get it now. that is definitley interesting.

pirate  

whiporwill-o

Namikikyo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:27 pm
I want to be this gospel along with the zombie survival guide.

=D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:57 pm
hehe they call themselves "pastafarians"  

virgo2591

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:25 pm
virgo2591
hehe they call themselves "pastafarians"

well, at least they're creative, lol  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:55 pm
That was, at the very least, ODST DROP!(3rd) level amazing!  

IceQueenMizore

Aryain Flames

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:12 am
Quote:

oh, lol, i saw that too... biggrin  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games