Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
different tarot decks Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:40 am
Moonlite__Syren
12lovelikewinter21
Sanguina Cruenta
Oracle cards are usually less... developed. They're more likely to have a one-word meaning, for example. But sure, depending on the spread, you can use them for the same things. You'll find that different decks work better for different spreads, though.

i have a "fairy oracle deck" and it also comes with a book that gives the basics on readings and also has very long in dept meaning of each of the i think 65 cards. its has a list of meaning for the cards reversed too. but i also has a short list of one words for each card. like "the oak man" would have a list like wisdom, old age, time. that kind of thing.

My friend has the same deck. Oracle cards are really interesting. To me they give the big basic picture as a whole. Whereas the Tarot has specific meanings.

Where I feel the opposite; Tarot as a tradition has an established lore and shared gnosis, as well as its' own pool of ritual resonance; some decks in particular have a deep well to draw from. Whereas oracle decks do not often have this being newer, and more diverse.

Oracle decks still work, of course, and I own several, but they tend to work best when the images resonate deeply with the individual for an outside reason, not really because they themselves are attached to something greater.

Personally I find tarot decks to give readings with clarity and ease, since there is a more established lore to the cards. Oracle decks can give good readings, but they really only work well if you a) are well-versed in the history, meaning, and culture the cards come from, and b) are using them in a more intuitive and less literal fashion.

In that vein, I myself would never use a "F--ry" oracle, since a great many of them have a pretty strong antipathy towards humans, and have been greatly misrepresented as kind, cute little winged thing since the Victorian Era. So really...what you know about a culture or a subject may greatly influence how an oracle deck might or might not work for you.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:36 am
Morgandria
Moonlite__Syren
12lovelikewinter21
Sanguina Cruenta
Oracle cards are usually less... developed. They're more likely to have a one-word meaning, for example. But sure, depending on the spread, you can use them for the same things. You'll find that different decks work better for different spreads, though.

i have a "fairy oracle deck" and it also comes with a book that gives the basics on readings and also has very long in dept meaning of each of the i think 65 cards. its has a list of meaning for the cards reversed too. but i also has a short list of one words for each card. like "the oak man" would have a list like wisdom, old age, time. that kind of thing.

My friend has the same deck. Oracle cards are really interesting. To me they give the big basic picture as a whole. Whereas the Tarot has specific meanings.

Where I feel the opposite; Tarot as a tradition has an established lore and shared gnosis, as well as its' own pool of ritual resonance; some decks in particular have a deep well to draw from. Whereas oracle decks do not often have this being newer, and more diverse.

Oracle decks still work, of course, and I own several, but they tend to work best when the images resonate deeply with the individual for an outside reason, not really because they themselves are attached to something greater.

Personally I find tarot decks to give readings with clarity and ease, since there is a more established lore to the cards. Oracle decks can give good readings, but they really only work well if you a) are well-versed in the history, meaning, and culture the cards come from, and b) are using them in a more intuitive and less literal fashion.

In that vein, I myself would never use a "F--ry" oracle, since a great many of them have a pretty strong antipathy towards humans, and have been greatly misrepresented as kind, cute little winged thing since the Victorian Era. So really...what you know about a culture or a subject may greatly influence how an oracle deck might or might not work for you.

i see. i do understand them very well though and here lately i have not had and issues reading them. but as for the cute thing, these are not that kind of fairys. they are made to look more (eep how do i say it) human than the cute anime look. and most of the fairys in the careds (not all of the card have fairys on them. some are like these huge lights called gate keepers and some are nomes and such) are naked how they were ment to be. these card arnt some cute tinkerbell stuff.  

12lovelikewinter21

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:24 pm
I had trouble with tarot when I was starting out, and an oracle deck was really helpful to me with getting the hang of the whole cartomancy thing because it was much more simplistic. Now, of course, I prefer the greater depth of tarot, but I still go back to my oracle cards for a quick, simple reading.

I stay away from faerie decks as much as I do Doreen bloody Virtue's angel or goddess cards.

But, I'm interested in Thalia Took's goddess deck, if it ever turns up on the market here. I might use it more for meditative purposes than anything else but I love her art.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:16 pm
I didn't have much luck with my Oracle deck; it's been abandoned to under my bed somewhere xd Although I had debated for a while if I should give a different Oracle deck a try.

I am only slightly better with Tarot, because I can draw on the some of the set themes and meanings of the cards to help me along.  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games