Welcome to Gaia! ::

Friends of English Magic - for readers and fans of fantasy

Back to Guilds

A guild for fans of fantasy books - we have discussions, contests, and games! 

Tags: english, fantasy, magic, book, scifi 

Reply dead threads - do not post
Science Fiction vs. Fantasy Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

beaulolais
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:59 pm
and then there is straightforward myth, which may be similar to present time but in an alternate plane?

like Momo by Michael Ende, which is delightful.

and the present day urban fantasies of Charles de Lint are like psychodramas with elements of folk tales and First Nations legends and such.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:37 pm
Well the only fantasy series that I really liked that I have read, was A Song Of Fire And Ice, Tolkien books, The Edge Chronicles.

Now with sci fi most of the books that I have read are the Warhammer 40,000 books, which to me looks like a mix of fantasy and scifi.
My favorite series of the Warhammer 40k universe are.
Soul Drinkers
Gaunt's Ghosts
Horus Heresy

favorite books:
Fifteen Hours
Rebel Winter

Now I have also read Warhammer Fantasy books too, well actually Time of Legends which takes place way back in the Warhammer Fantasy world's history
Malekith trilogy, the first book The Sundering is the one currently out, I read that and have it.
Nagash trilogy, the first book of the same name of the trilogy is the one currently out. Out of all three trilogies Nagash is my most favorite.
Sigmar trilogy, I have this ((Along with the first books of the other two trilogy.)), definetly loved how it expanded on the background of Sigmar Heldenhammer, the founder of the Empire, and now the main god worshipped inside the Empire, one of the main enemies of Chaos.

Syumerrt

sweet twilight fan

600 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:58 am
Sci-Fi is great for ppl who love space nd the futur nd things lik star wars nd star trek but Fantasy is for ppl who love to escape into the world of mythacial creatures for ppl who want to stand face to face with faries and goblins and vampires. So i lik fantasy.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:14 pm
i just finished reading an interesting book by Anne Kelleher Bush, The Misbegotten King.

it is set in a future America, where everything has been changed by magic and atomic war.

the names are all different; Dallas is Dlas, NYC is Nourk and so on; Washington State has sunk into the ocean and is now known as the Settle (get it, Seattle?) islands.

the city furthest west is Lost Vegas.

there are mutants, and many ruins etc.

but math has been made illegal, because it had led to the Armageddon, and because it is used in black magic.

BUT magic is real, there is sword and sorcery stuff going on, there are kings, there are zombies, people ride horses rather than cars (even the "Harleyriders") so there are many fantasy elements.

maybe this is one case in which fantasy and sci fi blend together?  

beaulolais
Vice Captain

Sita Harker
Captain

6,000 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:29 pm
User Image
On A Pale Horse by Piers Anthony is a blend of fantasy and scifi too, although in his world they're competing commercially. Car vs carpet, etc. Religion is getting commercial too - Satan is doing a very successful ad campaign. I highly recommend it, although the later books... well, with each book they get a little worse and a little more r-rated.User Image  
dead threads - do not post

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff