Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:04 pm
So when I first bought my AR, I bought five steel 20-round magazines of uncertain manufacture. After bringing them home, I discovered that three of them were bad. At the time though, this made little difference to me. I took one of the bad ones, popped out the follower and replaced it with a single-round sled for slowfire competition, marked the two bad ones, and kept the two good ones for rapid-fire competition. Now, though, the fact that I have two useless mags is beginning to bug me again. I forget what one does, but the other one won't hold the bolt back on the last shot. Either way, I'm pretty sure that both problems can be fixed by tweaking the feed lips. Does anyone know how to do this without a lot of trial and error and wasted ammo? Because I really can't afford to be shooting .223 right now.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:56 pm
The problem with holding the bolt open MIGHT be spring strength, or it might be the shape or stability of the follower.  

uryu ishida

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:56 am
uryu ishida
The problem with holding the bolt open MIGHT be spring strength, or it might be the shape or stability of the follower.
It'll hold the bolt open if I use the charging handle, but not if I fire the last round. Spring strength is a definite possibility, but I doubt it's the follower. Maybe I could put a small lead block in the bottom of the mag to put extra tension on the spring?  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:04 pm
Fresnel
uryu ishida
It'll hold the bolt open if I use the charging handle, but not if I fire the last round. Spring strength is a definite possibility, but I doubt it's the follower. Maybe I could put a small lead block in the bottom of the mag to put extra tension on the spring?
It really sounds like it isn't pushing the follower up fast enough, hard enough. That really makes me think it should be causing feeding problems, too.
You COULD put something in the bottom to increase tension, though that will lower capacity.
But then again, it IS a "broken" mag, and it sounds like it's only for range use only. I'm sure you could deal with 25-28 rounds.  

uryu ishida

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:59 pm
uryu ishida
Fresnel
uryu ishida
It really sounds like it isn't pushing the follower up fast enough, hard enough. That really makes me think it should be causing feeding problems, too.
You COULD put something in the bottom to increase tension, though that will lower capacity.
But then again, it IS a "broken" mag, and it sounds like it's only for range use only. I'm sure you could deal with 25-28 rounds.
It never fails to feed though, that's the odd thing. I think that's the problem with the other one. It just doesn't lock the bolt back on empty. You know what? I'll switch it out with another follower sometime and see if that fixes it.

It's actually a 20-rounder, so it'd be 15-18.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:07 am
Did you ever take them apart?
Did you put the spring in backwards? neutral

You can get replacement springs can't you?  

OberFeldwebel

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:37 pm
OberFeldwebel

The spring only goes in one way, because one side has a J-hook that grabs the center of the follower, and the other doesn't. I don't think I took it apart, though. I suppose I could get new springs, but I'm not sure that'd fix my problem.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:40 pm
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel

The spring only goes in one way, because one side has a J-hook that grabs the center of the follower, and the other doesn't. I don't think I took it apart, though. I suppose I could get new springs, but I'm not sure that'd fix my problem.
If you think that new springs will fix it, Wolff shoud have them. And fairly quickly too.  

uryu ishida

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:45 am
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel

It may be a bit premature, but if your next step is bending part of the mag... try new springs first.

Wait, did you try a spring from one of the mags that work fine in the bad mags?  
Q&A (Are YOU using this?)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games