Welcome to Gaia! ::

Geocaching Guild

Back to Guilds

A high tech treasure hunting game using handheld GPS units. 

Tags: geocaching, hiking, camping, treasure, adventure 

Reply Geocaching Guild
Puzzle Caches

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

DenvoPryde

3,800 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:51 pm
My area we have a lot of puzzle caches. Some are fun and use landmarks in the area to determine the puzzle. Others are really hard and even though there are some right down the street from me I can not solve them. Many of the ones by moozehead2020 are so tough because he just presents the puzzle and you have to figure it out. So how are the puzzle caches in your area? Do you have them or do you have a lot like me?
P.S. If anyone is interested in solving some puzzles try some in my area, my zip is 07927, just type that in the search area on geocaching.com. If you solve them please tell me.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:24 am
There are a few in my area, but I am about the only one that was regularly placing armchair puzzle caches (i.e. ones you solve at home to get the coords).

Ran into a whole bunch of drama late last year due to a family of "gotta find 'em all" types begging answers for my puzzles off of other cachers, sending me notes saying so-and-so "cheated" to get a find when in truth so-and-so just had decided to tell them to solve the puzzle on their own, and so on, so I now have about 13 puzzle caches I was going to place just sitting in my garage since I don't want to deal with the angsty idiocy again. =P

If only I could get a ignore function on the geocaching.com website I'd probably be more willing to get them out there.  

DestinyEC

lightning_fall

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:02 pm
I tend to not have the time or patience to solve puzzle caches, and usually just end up skipping over them unless something comes to me. The way I see it, there are plenty of caches out there- i don't have to find this one.  
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 3:12 pm
I did a puzzle cache last weekend when I was camping in southern Indiana. It was at a cemetery by a replica log cabin church built by Squire Boone (brother of Daniel Boone) in the early 1800s.

Apparently the Boone clan is still living in and around the Corydon, Indiana area. The latest gravestone I found was from a Boone who had passed away in 2005.

Anyway the puzzle involved dates and math using the various tombstones and led to a final micro cache near the Squire Boone memorial. Squire Boone himself is "buried" in a cave at Squire Boone Caverns about 3 miles away.  

Esper Ranger
Captain

O.G. Explorer

6,750 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Friendly 100

lightning_fall

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 2:01 pm
I currently have three puzzle caches in the works, just have to find the perfect place for them. I'll let you guys know a little bit about them, partially because I don't think anyone here lives close to me, and because if your on gaia and a cacher, your so awsome you deserve to know xd

1. Are you smarter then a ninth grader?
This one is based on a logic question taken out of my ninth grade math teaxtbook. It involves a picture if nine shapes and figureing out which letter equals which shape baced on a series of clues. Ex: The A button is not round, the D button is in the left row ex. You then substitude letters for numbers using a key. A simple word problem (or solve for X problem, have not decided yet) will get you the last coord and your ready to go. I'm considering hiding the key at the posted coords of the mystery cache, but I'm not sure yet.

2. MIRAge
Involves a colorful pattern of letters and numbers whcih you are to print out and study, and a hint that sucking on a clear red-wrappered candy might help. The name itself is also hint. Herm...

3. (Not yet named)
This one is two stages. At the first you will find a key, and the second a locked container. The key, however, does not work in the key hole. It's a trick lock. xd  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:37 pm
...Bump?  

lightning_fall

7raindrops

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:45 pm
there are not a whole lot of puzzle caches maybe one in ten. but if you are having issues with placeing them then you could always make a second username to place them under that you only visit to add a new cache. heart  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:47 pm
Did my first puzzle the other day. I had to count all the benches that had tree names on them then plug that number into the corrdinates then use those coordinates to find the cache.  

7raindrops

7raindrops

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:47 pm
HELP I really don't understand how this puzzle cache works?

* * * The above coordinates will not lead you to the cache * * *

The following is a list of people that share something in common. I don’t know any of them but they’re famous and there’s lots to know about them.

This list may seem like a bag of mixed fruit but there’s something in their profile that will help solve this puzzle.

Perhaps you can decipher it.

Betsy Ross, Karl Marx, Michael Murphy, Leo Tolstoy, Michael Palin

James Joyce, Paul Revere, Christie Brinkley, Bjorn Borg, Barry Goldwater

You can check your answers for this puzzle on Geochecker.com.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:34 pm
7raindrops
HELP I really don't understand how this puzzle cache works?

* * * The above coordinates will not lead you to the cache * * *

The following is a list of people that share something in common. I don’t know any of them but they’re famous and there’s lots to know about them.

This list may seem like a bag of mixed fruit but there’s something in their profile that will help solve this puzzle.

Perhaps you can decipher it.

Betsy Ross, Karl Marx, Michael Murphy, Leo Tolstoy, Michael Palin

James Joyce, Paul Revere, Christie Brinkley, Bjorn Borg, Barry Goldwater

You can check your answers for this puzzle on Geochecker.com.

It's a number you have to look for to adjust the coordinates, right? Maybe it has to do with their year of birth? I have no idea how those people are at all connected, though...  

Merily

7raindrops

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:40 am
Yeah there is like nothing these people have in common. Some are still alive, some are in England some are American  
Geocaching Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games