Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

uryu ishida

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:50 pm
OberFeldwebel
uryu ishida
There are actually some fundamental differences in the Carbine and Garand.

The Garand is a Long-Strong Piston (Gas-Operated) Rotating Bolt.
The Carbine is a Short-Stroke rotating bolt, which just acts like a hammer that hits the op rod.
The BOLT is essentially the same during action, but so is a LOT of other semi-auto (or maybe even full auto) rifles.

Well yeah, that's to save space.
It also allows it to work under lighter pressures, as well. Well, as far as I can tell anyway.  
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:57 pm
uryu ishida
OberFeldwebel
uryu ishida
There are actually some fundamental differences in the Carbine and Garand.

The Garand is a Long-Strong Piston (Gas-Operated) Rotating Bolt.
The Carbine is a Short-Stroke rotating bolt, which just acts like a hammer that hits the op rod.
The BOLT is essentially the same during action, but so is a LOT of other semi-auto (or maybe even full auto) rifles.

Well yeah, that's to save space.
It also allows it to work under lighter pressures, as well. Well, as far as I can tell anyway.

Yeah, if it required the same pressures as the M1 Garand, .30 Carbine would be leetskeet.  

OberFeldwebel

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 12:30 am
Okay, I've got a question that doesn't warrant its own thread, IMO. Why do hand grenades still use Comp B? Wasn't that s**t invented in the 40's?  
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 2:10 pm
Fresnel
Okay, I've got a question that doesn't warrant its own thread, IMO. Why do hand grenades still use Comp B? Wasn't that s**t invented in the 40's?

It's too epic to ditch?

Yeah, I wonder why they haven't switched or found something 'better'.

That's usually what they do.
Take something that works perfectly well, and sump millions into something to replace it.  

OberFeldwebel

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 7:06 pm
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel

It's too epic to ditch?

Yeah, I wonder why they haven't switched or found something 'better'.

That's usually what they do.
Take something that works perfectly well, and sump millions into something to replace it.
Especially explosives. You know they've made leaps and bounds in explosives tech in the last 70 years. Hell, comp B is older than the nuclear bomb.  
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 2:56 am
Here's a thinker... how do helicopters pitch and roll?

Three axes: pitch, yaw, and roll. Pitch can be determined by how fast or slow the tail rotor spins. The main rotor determines third-dimensional rise and fall of the craft. There's also a rotor pitch control that allows the rotor to pitch forward a few degrees and allows forward thrust. Those are the only three human-controlled forces that act on a chopper. Not only that, but that rotor on top? That's a ******** thirty-foot GYROSCOPE. There's no way in ******** that kind of force would let some pissant force spin a chopper hard enough to pull a barrel roll. It should also, in theory, cause the rotor pitch control to move the CHOPPER instead of the blades, but somehow it doesn't. Choppers do barrel rolls (rarely), and they pitch... BUT HOW?  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Q&A (Are YOU using this?)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out