oh god, yes
  catching what?
View Results

Moonlight_HuangHou
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:25 pm
Zizzykitty
Moonlight_HuangHou
Just today my mom warned me about and said that it already went to Delaware. I'm not worried about it but my mom said you can die within 70 something hours? I'm still not worried about it but my mom's like "no outside food!" "Always be sure to wash your hands!" (not that I don't before I eat anyways).
It's not really that bad is it? I heard it hit Delaware already so it's closer to us now. I also thought that the media was just blowing it out of proportion.

Bullshit.

You don't die within 70 hours. The swine flu is not much worse than a regular flu. If you do catch it then get to a hospital within 48 hours of catching it and they'll give you a medecine to prevent you from getting any worse. You won't get immediately better but you won't get worse.

You won't get it from eating pig either. The only way you'd get it from food is if someone with it sneezed on your food, like a regular flu.
Thank you for confirming that! ^_^ That's a relief to be honest. That info you placed down there is interesting. So only the baby died so far the US. We were talking about it today actually at work b/c someone else was also saying how the media just blows it out of proportion and makes a big deal of it. And that someone else was making a big deal...some mayor or something? Saying he would like if everyone not use subways and whatever? (Now that is a bit much!)

The only thing we were saying people should worry and watch are children. They're more immune system isn't as strong as adults so it's best to take them to the doctor immediately if anything is noticeable.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:38 pm
I don't see how people are so gullible, it's ridiculous.

The most lethal strain of Ebola doesn't even kill you in 70 hours from catching it. You die a horrible death of having your organs turned to mush then bleeding out from every orifice of your body but it just doesn't work that quickly.

As of right now, even if you get swine flu you won't die as long as you get treated. As of right now it will become a pandemic.

But as long as the virus doesn't evolve to be immune to our medecine or to become more lethal then that's when we start worrying.

And I think that the panic over it is so overblown. Seriously.  

Zizzykitty
Crew

dragontamer363
Crew

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 5:47 am
was just watching teh news while I was having my lunch today. apparently in britain we've had 8 cases, and the news are currently badgering a guy who's got symptoms which might be the first human-to-human transmission of the disease.

It amused me though, since every single expert was like "It IS just normal influenza. we only CALL it swine flu. There is NOTHING different about it."

People who have it freak out that they might die, even if they probably won't. tey also forget that influenza - as in proper influenza and not what is popularily termed the "'flu" but is acually just a bad cold - kills hundreds of people a year, or evern a month. Influenza knocks of load of old and young people, and used to be a serious pandemic that actually did kill people in high numbers. It's always around. That's why they're always trying to give influenza vaccinations to old people around winter.

People are just freaking out because, as ever, whenever they attach a fairly normal illness to animals people for some reason think it's a million times worse.

Only when the virus mutates is it truly dangerous, and mutation could happen to ANY virus - whether we already have it or not.

So yep. People should stop flipping out. They're blowing everything way out of proportion. Be careful, sure, but chill out.
Now they've even put on loads more call centre staff in the NHS Direct for all the dumbasses who get the sniffles and instantly think they have swine flu.

urgh.  
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 6:35 am
Do you mean the first the first human-to-human transmission of the disease in Britain?

They've found Patient Zero already. It was a kid in Mexico(who by the way, is just fine and not dead), I just assumed he was the first one of pass it on but I guess he wasn't if they're still trying to find the first.

Well it is a mutated strand of the normal influenza virus. It's like normal flu, just stronger. So they are right but I think they're trying to keep people from panicking by saying that, though it could mutate again to be more lethal or to be less.

And that is true. Influenze 1918 killed millions of people 1 in 3 Americans, if I'm remembering my facts correctly, died of the virus. Reason they could't stop it sooner? They were treating it with antibacterial medication.
We know about the flu now, we can treat it. People do still die and it's tragic but it's usually the older and younger folks who don't have the immune system to fight it.
As you said, I don't know exact numbers, but a lot of people die from the regular flu in a year and people don't seem to realize that.  

Zizzykitty
Crew

Death Shikaku

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 9:56 am
They changed the name of swine influenza to H1N1.
Just sayin'. Sorry for interrupting you all...

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 1:56 pm
Death Shikaku
They changed the name of swine influenza to H1N1.
Just sayin'. Sorry for interrupting you all...

Nah, it's alright. I'd seen it's H1N1 2009 now but I've been too lazy to actually change the thread name.

I read they changed it for religious reasons. Some religions see pigs as dirty so if they called it the swine flu and someone practicing that religion got it then they may avoid getting treatment since they're "dirty" now.  

Zizzykitty
Crew

Moonlight_HuangHou
Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 5:52 am
Zizzykitty

The most lethal strain of Ebola doesn't even kill you in 70 hours from catching it. You die a horrible death of having your organs turned to mush then bleeding out from every orifice of your body but it just doesn't work that quickly.

That sounds very painful. o_o  
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:33 am
Moonlight_HuangHou
Zizzykitty

Actually, it fries all your internal organs. That includes your brain.

So by the time you bleed out you're pretty much in a zombie-like state. You wouldn't really feel it, or if you did you wouldn't be yourself anyway so it's not like you'd really know what was happening.  

Zizzykitty
Crew

Moonlight_HuangHou
Captain

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 6:28 am
Zizzykitty
Moonlight_HuangHou
Zizzykitty

So by the time you bleed out you're pretty much in a zombie-like state. You wouldn't really feel it, or if you did you wouldn't be yourself anyway so it's not like you'd really know what was happening.

*speechless*
Oh wow....I guess that's something to glad for (that it doesn't hurt). Sad for your family members to see you like that though. Now that I think of it I think there was a movie I saw at school about it in science class. (real movie not the bad-made school types lol).
Wasn't it passed through an animal or something?

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 6:33 am
Moonlight_HuangHou
Zizzykitty
Moonlight_HuangHou
Zizzykitty

*speechless*
Oh wow....I guess that's something to glad for (that it doesn't hurt). Sad for your family members to see you like that though. Now that I think of it I think there was a movie I saw at school about it in science class. (real movie not the bad-made school types lol).
Wasn't it passed through an animal or something?

Yeah, they aren't exactly sure what animal though. They're still trying to figure out where ebola comes from.

Bad made school type movies are hilarious. xd
I happen to know Ebola since I read The Hot Zone a while ago which is a nonfiction book about a concentration Ebola outbreak in monkeys in the US and Ebola in general.  

Zizzykitty
Crew

Dornkus
Crew

Werewolf

11,300 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Hunter 50
  • The Wolf Within 100
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 11:13 am
Many of the suspected cases of Swine Flu are probably just people suffering from seasonal allergies.

Also here are a few related things:
Old Propaganda Film
A scene from Kenny and the Chimp
World of Warcraft Disease  
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 5:56 pm
Genetic Strain really impresses my wild imagination.. see next disease could be goat flu virus of something.. haha

but yeah just dont panick and always take precautions  

Arch Angel Neko

Dangerous Tycoon

10,350 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200

Zizzykitty
Crew

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:28 am
Ohman, I didn't think of that Dornkus. I had terrible allergies about two weeks before the Swine Flu panic. Sore throat, runny nose, sneezing, coughing, I am so glad it happened then and not now otherwise I'd have been to the hospital a dozen times already by my mother demanding I get treatment no matter how many times they tell her it's just allergies.

That first video is pretty amusing.
I remember that show from when I was a kid too! I also remember that episide. I wonder why I hadn't remembered it.  
*~Purple Moonlight Haze~*

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff