Reply Gaia Gun Enthusiasts
Marlin 336 C/W?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:22 pm
You know what I noticed? A surprising amount of topics on the GGE's front page general discussion don't really have that much to do with guns. So I bring you this.

Have you used or know much about the Marlin 336 C or W? (The difference between C and W are all external--walnut stock versus hardwood stock stained to look like walnut, shrouded front sight versus open, gold trigger versus blued, internals are the same, one's cheaper).

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I like lever-actions for some of the same reason I like revolvers. Dependable, well-handling guns that are old in design and still in use, a testament to their efficient design. And the .30-.30 is balistically superior to the .223 (hard-hitting, I mean, not superior range). The 336 has a 6+1 capacity and can be topped off without opening the action. Effective range, from what I've read, is about 200 yards. That's about the maximum range you could shoot anything in Louisiana with all the freaking trees. My dream state Colorado I'm not sure about.

Thoughts?  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:16 am
I actually own a 336C, and like it very much. I like it so much, I ended up shooting all my ammo except 20 rounds, and I had a lot. I have a s**t TON of .30-30 brass, so I think I should start reloading it. And .30-06, as I have several hundred pieces of brass for it. No idea where they came from, because I didn't shoot that many and I was the only one shooting .30-06 that day.  

uryu ishida

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:10 am
My brother has the Winchester version of that one.
Walnut stock, gold trigger, blued finish.

Same kind of sights too, or at least something close to it.

My dad had it for a while so we took it out and shot it a couple of times, pretty nice and pretty awesome, then my brother took it back, not sure what he's doing with it now.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:25 am
My grandpa has a Winchester, not a Marlin. I don't know the model, but it's .30-30, all blued finish. Don't know what the stock is made of. I'd have to check the internals if I ever got it, because it's been sitting under his bed in an improvised gun holder (the leg from a pair of jeans sewn up to hold it) for God knows how long.  

Requiem ex Inferni

Eloquent Streaker

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:08 pm
Requiem6661
My grandpa has a Winchester, not a Marlin. I don't know the model, but it's .30-30, all blued finish. Don't know what the stock is made of. I'd have to check the internals if I ever got it, because it's been sitting under his bed in an improvised gun holder (the leg from a pair of jeans sewn up to hold it) for God knows how long.

Probably a 94.  
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 8:56 pm
.30-30s have a history of being bad, my grandpa saw a guy tear his apart just trying to work the lever to get a deer, the round wasn't seated perfectly. Plus the rounds have to be rounded or they might set each other off.

tl;dr Get something ing 30-06 or something.  

Inquisitor Brock

Requiem ex Inferni

Eloquent Streaker

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:23 pm
I wouldn't really know, I don't know too much about civilian ammo.

I'd also need to check his shotgun if I got it. The barrels actually looks like they need to be cleaned.

Also, how do you un-c**k the hammer on a double-barreled shotgun once they're cocked, other than squeezing the trigger(s)?  
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:36 pm
Hey! I have 2 .30-06's on my desk.  

Sergeant CJ

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 10:24 pm
Inquisitor Brock
.30-30s have a history of being bad, my grandpa saw a guy tear his apart just trying to work the lever to get a deer, the round wasn't seated perfectly. Plus the rounds have to be rounded or they might set each other off.

I don't know if I can believe that... It's an old cartridge still in common use. I've never heard anything about this until just now. And as much as I'd like a Remington 700 in .308 with an Acuracy International stock... uh... where was I going with this? Oh yeah, that 700 would be expensive and so would its stock and so would its scope and so would its ammo and... damn. stressed  
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 5:44 am
Inquisitor Brock

Not rounded, flat, or they must have a rubber, or soft plastic, 'ballistic' tip.

I heard of some other caliber for a lever action... can't remember what one though.

.308 Marlin Express.

Not sure what else they do different other than a ballistic tip. :/  

OberFeldwebel

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 7:13 am
Someone once made a box-fed lever action, to get around the 'no spitzer' problem, around the turn of the last century. Shipped a bunch of them to Russia for the Czar, chambered in x54r, IIRC. Don't remember the model or maker though.  
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 8:38 pm
OberFeldwebel
Inquisitor Brock

Not rounded, flat, or they must have a rubber, or soft plastic, 'ballistic' tip.

I heard of some other caliber for a lever action... can't remember what one though.

.308 Marlin Express.

Not sure what else they do different other than a ballistic tip. :/

Flat, rounded, depends on what you mean by flat or rounded.

Left .223 - Middle .30-.30 - Right .308 Win.

Looks rounded to me, but with a lead tip that's softer.

Edit: Nevermind, the one on the right is 7.62x51mm.  

ArmasTermin

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 2:56 am
ArmasTermin
Left .223 - Middle .30-.30 - Right .308 Win.

Looks rounded to me, but with a lead tip that's softer.

Edit: Nevermind, the one on the right is 7.62x51mm.
.308 WIN : 7.62x51mm :: .223 REM : 5.56x45mm  
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 6:52 am

That red tip is soft so it wont set off the other rounds and it's still pointed so, better accuracy?

Seems to be a bit more stubby, not rimless, but Marlin claims it to be just as ballistically awesome as .308.  

OberFeldwebel

Inquisitor Brock

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 10:20 am
Fresnel
Someone once made a box-fed lever action, to get around the 'no spitzer' problem, around the turn of the last century. Shipped a bunch of them to Russia for the Czar, chambered in x54r, IIRC. Don't remember the model or maker though.

Winchester model 1895 I believe.

Armas: You can get the remington 700 in .300 for like a little over 600 dollars.  
Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games