Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Discourse

Back to Guilds

A guild for those who wish to occasionally find refuge from the GD and ED forums 

Tags: conversation, debate 

Reply Gaian Discourse
Companies going Bankrupt Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Archaic Thought
Captain

Aged Phantom

7,325 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:11 pm
black_wing_angel
Elweezy
black_wing_angel
Elweezy
black_wing_angel

Yes, but the problem is that, due to American worker laws, American goods are generally EXTREMELY expensive, compared to foreign counterparts.

If they are more expensive then who the **** would buy it? Especially if the foreign ones are basically better. I don't know how they should resolve this issue, but increasing prices ain't of 'em.

American goods cost more, because American LABOR costs more.

In America, legally, one can not work for less than...what is it now..$6 an hour?

In other countries, people can LITERALLY work for pennies a day. Cheaper labor, cheaper products.

Wow. I truely don't know how to responed to that. It looks like they have no choice but to up the cost. All they can really do is continue finding way to better their cars, in hopes of outdoing the competition.

Exactly. The problem with THAT, is that the foreign companies aren't going to be denied, without putting up a fight. And they have "affordability" on their side, which is a POWERFUL tool.

A japanese car that would cost $17,000 vs an American car, that, at BARE MINIMUM price, probably costs at least $20,000, and both are about the same, in terms of style, size, and all of that. Which are you more likely to buy?

That's why "patriots" put so much emphasis on the "patriotism" in buying American, because if not for the "pride" of buying American, there'd be no justification in spending several THOUSAND extra dollars, for essentially the same car.

Patriotism vs Affordability, is what it really comes down to.
]

Ah, Patriotism. How people have bastardized it. My definition of it is Loyalty to my country, that's about it. People these days run around acting like you r some kind of traitor if you don't buy American, or follow X over Y. Yes, I am loyal to my country. I just don't have to be loyal to my Government.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:25 pm
mistercombine
black_wing_angel
Elweezy
black_wing_angel
Elweezy
black_wing_angel

Yes, but the problem is that, due to American worker laws, American goods are generally EXTREMELY expensive, compared to foreign counterparts.

If they are more expensive then who the **** would buy it? Especially if the foreign ones are basically better. I don't know how they should resolve this issue, but increasing prices ain't of 'em.

American goods cost more, because American LABOR costs more.

In America, legally, one can not work for less than...what is it now..$6 an hour?

In other countries, people can LITERALLY work for pennies a day. Cheaper labor, cheaper products.

Wow. I truely don't know how to responed to that. It looks like they have no choice but to up the cost. All they can really do is continue finding way to better their cars, in hopes of outdoing the competition.

Exactly. The problem with THAT, is that the foreign companies aren't going to be denied, without putting up a fight. And they have "affordability" on their side, which is a POWERFUL tool.

A japanese car that would cost $17,000 vs an American car, that, at BARE MINIMUM price, probably costs at least $20,000, and both are about the same, in terms of style, size, and all of that. Which are you more likely to buy?

That's why "patriots" put so much emphasis on the "patriotism" in buying American, because if not for the "pride" of buying American, there'd be no justification in spending several THOUSAND extra dollars, for essentially the same car.

Patriotism vs Affordability, is what it really comes down to.
]

Ah, Patriotism. How people have bastardized it. My definition of it is Loyalty to my country, that's about it. People these days run around acting like you r some kind of traitor if you don't buy American, or follow X over Y. Yes, I am loyal to my country. I just don't have to be loyal to my Government.

Ah, but they could argue that only by buying American made goods, are you being "loyal" to your country. If you're buying a German car, you're giving American money to "those ******** Germans!", and that's "just not American!"  

black_wing_angel
Vice Captain

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100

Archaic Thought
Captain

Aged Phantom

7,325 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 4:46 pm
Kaz-Balan
The whole process is clearly heading for a depression, with the U.S.A. accumulating a huger and huger debt, the value of $ will soon be at risk, especially with China rising and developping an incredibly high industrial power, especially if this country allies to Japan.
Considering the scale, this depression could be ( relatively speaking ) far worse than the 1929 one, because, unlike in those days, almost no currency in the world is based on gold anymore : when the fateful reality-check "what is your money worth ?" question will be asked, only the countries that have real riches and strong industries will win and rule, economically, all the other ones ( especially the ones with huge debts ) will be faced with explosive over-inflation, economical ruin and slavery.

I think that was the biggest mistake the US made. Devaluing it's currency by removing the Gold standard. Now, without it, the dollar itself is worth just about the same amount as of the paper it was printed on, which is, in turn, supported by the weak Dollar. But, as for China, they'll never ally with Japan, at least, not until Japan admits to the rape of Nanking. And even then, pry not.  
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 6:50 am
mistercombine
Kaz-Balan
The whole process is clearly heading for a depression, with the U.S.A. accumulating a huger and huger debt, the value of $ will soon be at risk, especially with China rising and developping an incredibly high industrial power, especially if this country allies to Japan.
Considering the scale, this depression could be ( relatively speaking ) far worse than the 1929 one, because, unlike in those days, almost no currency in the world is based on gold anymore : when the fateful reality-check "what is your money worth ?" question will be asked, only the countries that have real riches and strong industries will win and rule, economically, all the other ones ( especially the ones with huge debts ) will be faced with explosive over-inflation, economical ruin and slavery.

I think that was the biggest mistake the US made. Devaluing it's currency by removing the Gold standard. Now, without it, the dollar itself is worth just about the same amount as of the paper it was printed on, which is, in turn, supported by the weak Dollar. But, as for China, they'll never ally with Japan, at least, not until Japan admits to the rape of Nanking. And even then, pry not.

When the hell did they remove the Gold Standard?  

black_wing_angel
Vice Captain

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100

village midget

Fanatical Smoker

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 8:41 am
black_wing_angel

And, worse yet, they're not giving the money to the PEOPLE who are losing their jobs, and their homes, and everything they've worked their whole lives for. They're giving it to the companies! THEY'RE GIVING MONEY TO THE VERY PEOPLE WHO ******** UP IN THE FIRST PLACE! Essentially, they're REWARDING FAILURE!

And what do these companies do, when they get their bailout money? "LOL! ******** DA INNOSUNT PPL! WE'Z RICH NAO! MILLYUN DOLLER BONUSES 4 DA PPL HOO FALED!

WE'Z GUNNA GOEZ 2 VEGUS!!!"

And here I always thought there was a certain intelligence level one had to possess, to be a CEO, or politician. And, wouldn't you know it, I seem to have been wrong.

lol, you are right...in the uk people have been infuriated by Gordon Brown bailing out banks with billions of pounds of tax money...he even bailed out Goldman Sacks which is an investment bank (meaning no high street outlets, stock market financiers who invest for the super rich) that weas a real stinger since the average tax payer sees absolutely no benefit from them... the idea behind this master plan was that banks could use the money to keep lending (as we know our entire economy is built on credit) in the hope that the high street economy would stabilise...but dun dun dAH...at the beginning of April with the new financial year all the banks issued their normal bonuses to all their employees! who would have thought it? razz

the new plan is to literally print more money. that's right, our government's solution is to flood the economy with more money from thin air! if you have seen what happens to Gaia's economy with an abundance of virtual money and no sinks (or you could google Germany's economy circa 1918-1930) you will have a clue that this is possibly the most ridiculous thing to happen...

i don't think that the ceo's are unitelligent, i think they are massively selfish. polititians on the other hand...  
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 9:32 am
Akikan
unfortanetly gm has to drop one of their best made lines pontiac. tho i heard a rumor that gm is still going to keep the gto going.
Tha ********? No, GMC is the line to drop. Half the GMC s**t is just carbon-copies of Chevies anyway.  

Fresnel

Citizen

DioxazinePlum

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 9:37 am
village midget
black_wing_angel

And, worse yet, they're not giving the money to the PEOPLE who are losing their jobs, and their homes, and everything they've worked their whole lives for. They're giving it to the companies! THEY'RE GIVING MONEY TO THE VERY PEOPLE WHO ******** UP IN THE FIRST PLACE! Essentially, they're REWARDING FAILURE!

And what do these companies do, when they get their bailout money? "LOL! ******** DA INNOSUNT PPL! WE'Z RICH NAO! MILLYUN DOLLER BONUSES 4 DA PPL HOO FALED!

And here I always thought there was a certain intelligence level one had to possess, to be a CEO, or politician. And, wouldn't you know it, I seem to have been wrong.

lol, you are right...in the uk people have been infuriated by Gordon Brown bailing out banks with billions of pounds of tax money...he even bailed out Goldman Sacks which is an investment bank (meaning no high street outlets, stock market financiers who invest for the super rich) that weas a real stinger since the average tax payer sees absolutely no benefit from them... the idea behind this master plan was that banks could use the money to keep lending (as we know our entire economy is built on credit) in the hope that the high street economy would stabilise...but dun dun dAH...at the beginning of April with the new financial year all the banks issued their normal bonuses to all their employees! who would have thought it? razz

the new plan is to literally print more money. that's right, our government's solution is to flood the economy with more money from thin air! if you have seen what happens to Gaia's economy with an abundance of virtual money and no sinks (or you could google Germany's economy circa 1918-1930) you will have a clue that this is possibly the most ridiculous thing to happen...

i don't think that the ceo's are unitelligent, i think they are massively selfish. polititians on the other hand...

Simply printing more money is partly what put is in this shitty dollar to euro situation in the first place. I thought though that you had to have gold or something else to represent the currency in the Treasury, or you couldn't just print money. Otherwise it would just become worthless. Anyone know?

About Gaia: I think it would be hilarious if Gaia had a recession. Well they tried to combat Gold inflation with the Save Our Shops thing, but I think the only way to do it will be to move some cash shop type items to the regular shops, so people with a lot of money will be giving back to Gaia, not other community members.  
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 9:48 am
DioxazinePlum
village midget
black_wing_angel

Simply printing more money is partly what put is in this shitty dollar to euro situation in the first place. I thought though that you had to have gold or something else to represent the currency in the Treasury, or you couldn't just print money. Otherwise it would just become worthless. Anyone know?

About Gaia: I think it would be hilarious if Gaia had a recession. Well they tried to combat Gold inflation with the Save Our Shops thing, but I think the only way to do it will be to move some cash shop type items to the regular shops, so people with a lot of money will be giving back to Gaia, not other community members.
Gaia, however, has the means to cut everybody's liquidated gold by X% and forcibly devalue items by flooding the market with them.  

Fresnel

Citizen

Kaz-Balan

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 9:55 am
black_wing_angel

Old news.
Basically, it all began in the 50s', for the ( now ) silliest of reasons :
  "in order to avoid reproducing what happened in 1929" ( official bs ).
It ended in the 70s', with almost all currencies now based on $.

All individuals mays of course still convert their money into gold...
  ...but no currency is based on gold anymore.

However...

If there ever is some real and great depression again, the basic economic rules shall still prevail,
  and real riches will serve again to insure the winning currencies.

You might have noticed just how Saudi & co. ...
  ...have bought and stored huge quantities of the precious yellow shining metal.  
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 10:11 am
Kaz-Balan
black_wing_angel

Old news.

However...

If there ever is some real and great depression again, the basic economic rules shall still prevail,

I actually looked up the price of gold the other day. A 1kg treasury bar is roughly $********.  

Fresnel

Citizen

black_wing_angel
Vice Captain

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 2:09 pm
Kaz-Balan
black_wing_angel

Old news.

However...

Why the hell didn't I hear about the removal of the gold standard? confused

And yeah, according to a bunch of commercials, the value of gold is skyrocketing. That's why they have that "Cash4Gold.com" or whatever it is.

I bet my mom is sitting on a couple thousand dollars worth of gold rings that she never wears anymore.  
Gaian Discourse

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff