Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Say Yes to the Dress - "Wiccan" Wedding? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:07 pm
We had our wedding outside on the rooftop of this little inn. Other than the fact that is was about 90 some odd degrees, it was really nice. We had a non-denominational preacher perform the ceremony, so that's always an option if you are looking for something that won't "out" you to the family.

My friend had a more or less full on pagan ceremony, with a high priestess officiating. Despite the altar, sword, broom, etc... they still managed to make it understated enough that even though the chairs were all in a circle around the ceremony and the quarters were called silently - if you weren't pagan, you might have thought that the bride and groom were just a bit quirky. Though I'm fairly certain most of their immediate family was aware of their religion. Her dress was an antique ivory lace, and the groom and his family all wore kilts. It was really lovely!  
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:24 pm
Violet Song jat Shariff
So kind of related to the topic.

I'm asking more so those in the guild that are married already and who incorporated elements of their respective path into their ceremony....(hopefully this question makes sense)...but how did you deal with those who attended the ceremony who were previously unaware of your religious persuasion? I mean, was there a negative surprised reaction? Or were guests more or less kind of okay with it since hey, it was your Day?

Or even if you're not married and can offer insight as to how one would deal with this kind of thing that'd be welcome as well.

Sorry if this is an odd question sweatdrop .

We're not legally married. But we had a traditional Wiccan handfasting, which consists of a year and a day betrothal, and then the handfasting proper after that time. The betrothal we invited only friends to, who are very comfortable with my beliefs. The handfasting had more guests, including members of our families, but again they were all aware of my religion and were relatively ok with it.

We'll probably have a very low-key legal wedding at some point, that will include many more people, more extended family, and a reception.  

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

eartha oak

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 3:20 am
Violet Song jat Shariff
Shearaha
To be honest, other then my husband and our friends, I don't think that anyone there was aware that we aren't Christian. We had a mainly Christian wedding, my mother wouldn't recognize anything else, a Christian minister, Christian-esque music, the traditional cake and dancing. We had a short explination of our ribbon cerimony, but even that we tried to keep in Christian-like terms. My mother still doesn't know that I'm not Christian, hopefully that's something that I can just keep from her until she passes. My mother is not very open and would cut me off from the rest of my family and I don't want that.

Ah I see 3nodding .
We're in the same boat in that neither of us are Christian (he's irreligious), and we'd of course keep some of the regular wedding traditions sans the Christian prayers and scripture readings. And my honey doesn't seem opposed to the Heathen elements.

I don't know. We're in this weird kind of wedding limbo where we'd really like a "proper" wedding ceremony and reception, but as more time goes by it's looking like we'll just have to go to the court house. And I'm mostly okay with that. But then there's that little part of me that wants the whole wedding sha-bang that I've dreamed about since I was knee-high sweatdrop . Sorry to ramble.

eartha: Oh really? Where have you seen/heard that at?
I personally have been looking into white and violet/plum colored dresses whee

I saw it on two different myspace pictures in two different peoples.they both dont know one another.I jsut noticed it may just be a popular thing not traditional.

that sounds like a lvely dress color choise.Im going with green most likely my fiance is planning on wearing green anyway.

*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games