Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gamers Promised Land, Gaia's Best Gaming and Pop Culture

Back to Guilds

Gaia's best guild for discussions and contests about Video Games, Pop Culture, general geek stuff, and any kind of discussion! 

Tags: Video Games, Pop culture, chatting, Internet, tournaments 

Reply Main Forum
Some quick reviews of games not quite technically past.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Chaotix Bluix
Crew

Eternal Lunatic

16,850 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • That One Hero 500
  • Divine Donator 100
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:23 pm
Technically I've been gone a while, but theres a "legitimately" good reason behind that, as I've been playing some games that you might find used at some places/videogame vendors, and it's probably about time I put them aside and at least tell you about some of them.

These mainly will be GBA, DS, GCN, and Wii games, but if I get my hands on some PC or other console games, I'll review them as well.

Currently I'm still playing through and plan to review:
Phantasy Star 1, 2, and 3
Fire Emblem-Shadow Dragon
Pokemon Pinball: Ruby and Saphire
Final Fantasy Tactics A2
Final Fantasy Chrystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time
Pokemon Platinum
Myst
Riven
Megaman 9
FFCC: My Life as King

Games which I still need to write reviews for:
Pinobee (GBA)
Elite Beat Agents (DS)
Chrono Trigger (DS)
Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood
Space Invaders Revolution (DS)
A particular fanmade sonic game who's name eludes me currently (PC)  
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 10:21 pm
Lets start off with both Boktai Games:
----------------------------------
Boktai:The Sun is in Your Hand: 8/10

Simply put, you as the solar boy have to vanquish the vampires (or as the game calls them, "The Immortals"), who have taken over the place using your gun that runs off of the actual UV rays of the sun.

Personally, I liked this game. As far as things go, the graphics are nice, the sound/music generally blends well with the setting of the game, and the gameplay is rather solid as a puzzle/shooter of sorts. There's plenty of dungeons (many which both introduce you to concepts in the game gradually and challenge you as well), as well as ways to customize your gun to a simple extent. The plot isn't half bad itself. as it certainly isn't deep, but it does have a charming quality to it as you keep progressing. When you do beat the game, you are given a password which you can use to start a new game with a harder difficulty (or access some online site for special content which doesn't exist now).

Now, the only thing I found to be a constantly irritant about Boktai is that you can only get so far before you have to stop completely find a good source of sunlight (which means if you're playing at night or in the evening, you're pretty much doomed to wait till the morning again), before you can even continue along the plot. There are some in game devices that artificially create sunlight for a short period of time, but they hardly last long enough to get the job done and are hard to come by.

All in all, it's a good game to get if you're looking for something fresh, but it certainly isn't the most amazing game in the world.
---------------------------------------------

Boktai 2: Solar Boy Django 7/10

Basically, it's the same concepts as it's predecessor, defeat and purify vampires using the power of the sun, except that you're gun gets stolen and you have to use some new weapons to do the job.

Now, this is an alright game. Like I said, it has the same ideas of the first Boktai game, but adds a RPG sort of system and more means which to customize both your character and weapons so you can play more according to your style. This time around though, the plot takes a few interesting turns while keeping old players both in the know and interested while giving newcomers something juicy without being overwhelmed.
The weapons system in Boktai 2 also gives you the chance to upgrade your weapons by combining them in the solar forge (which as the name suggests, uses sunlight), and the playing a timing sort of mini-game. Upgrading your weapons isn't required (especially if you want a challenge), but it gives the game an extra dimension to the gameplay.
Oh, there's also a crossover with Megaman from Megaman Battle Network 4 if thats something you're interested in.

Now, the sequel suffers from the same problem as it's predecessor, the sun. The presence of the sun is required if you want to progress past certain points in the plot or create weapons in the solar forge (so after you reach a point, you have to wait... and wait... and wait...).

Boktai 2 is a good game and a solid RPG to play, but unless you're into retro gaming or other curios, you might want to try something else.

-------------------------------

Both Boktai games are pretty good, and with a compatibility with "Lunar Knights" for the DS, you can get more for what you spend... so if you're looking to get outdoors and get your vitamin D for the day while playing a good game, look no further. 3nodding  

Chaotix Bluix
Crew

Eternal Lunatic

16,850 Points
  • That One Hero 500
  • Divine Donator 100

Drake_XIV

Malevolent Duelist

5,850 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • PvP 200
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:01 am
You mean those game with larger cartridges with some sort of solar panel to detect if there's light?  
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:08 pm
dracokagebuyo
You mean those game with larger cartridges with some sort of solar panel to detect if there's light?

Yep. Those are the ones.  

Chaotix Bluix
Crew

Eternal Lunatic

16,850 Points
  • That One Hero 500
  • Divine Donator 100

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 4:29 pm
Good short reviews, would you be interested in submitting anything for the website in the future?  
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:52 pm
I would be more than happy to, as I plan to do quite a few more of these... though I can't guarantee getting these out on a consistent basis at the moment in time. sweatdrop  

Chaotix Bluix
Crew

Eternal Lunatic

16,850 Points
  • That One Hero 500
  • Divine Donator 100
Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers