Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Discourse

Back to Guilds

A guild for those who wish to occasionally find refuge from the GD and ED forums 

Tags: conversation, debate 

Reply Gaian Discourse
Social Darwinism & You

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Archaic Thought
Captain

Aged Phantom

7,325 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 4:00 pm
As I have figured, topics on the economy have become popular as of late, so, why not break down and talk about the one thing. Social Darwinism. That's right, the belief that a company should survive or fall based on it's own merits, that the strong survive to bolster the economy, why the weak perish into bancruptcy, while new buisnesses strive to fill the gaps, and the process repeats.

So, points to discuss.

-Social Darwinism & You
- Why Social Darwinism?
- Can it still be applied in Today's society?
-Feel free to make your own points as you go along!  
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 4:11 pm
mistercombine
As I have figured, topics on the economy have become popular as of late, so, why not break down and talk about the one thing. Social Darwinism. That's right, the belief that a company should survive or fall based on it's own merits, that the strong survive to bolster the economy, why the weak perish into bancruptcy, while new buisnesses strive to fill the gaps, and the process repeats.

So, points to discuss.

-Social Darwinism & You
- Why Social Darwinism?
- Can it still be applied in Today's society?
-Feel free to make your own points as you go along!

Well, as a tax payer, I believe that I should have a hand in deciding where MY money is going. And, given the huge flop of the Bailout, with the idiots abusing the money they had been given, and the fact that throwing money we don't have, at a problem, to fix it, does not fix it, it seems that darwinism is the "only way".

Plus, it gives smaller businesses the ability to rise up, instead of continuing to be pushed down by big businesses.

Life cannot exist without death.  

black_wing_angel
Vice Captain

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100

Vornesoul

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 4:16 pm
It isn't just an economic belief, it's also a social philosophy that can be quite dangerous but I'm getting off topic.

I can't see Social Darwinism being an effective economic system, there is too much to loose when you let companies such as the car big three fall. Too many jobs both within the company and alongside the company are lost. It takes time to build up a company to that scale and you hurt the econ as a whole when it let it drop.

If we could let it drop and get another up within the week? The month? Sure. I doubt that is possible though. We could have the econ down for years at a time, many without jobs or job opportunities as a flood of new companies attempt to establish themselves and fill in the gaps. This would leave the country open to many foreign and domestic threats.

Mind you, this doesn't mean I agree with how the situation was handled in the US, as in to bailout the major offenders, but I don't think that the complete opposite would have been better.

Mediation in all things, I suppose.  
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 6:02 pm
There are a lot of businesses that share the same purpose. Do we really need a million noodle houses? One place must have the best noodles. When I can only afford to go to one place, I'm going to the one that tastes the best, even if its not the cheap shitty place by my house. If I can only eat out once a week, you can bet its going to not be the lame place.  

DioxazinePlum

DioxazinePlum

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 6:04 pm
Social Darwinism for the most part can be applied to the job market. If you're the best (or the best bred) you get the best paying jobs (in theory).

Also look at the changing shift in the international system. The US is no longer the superpower it once was. Social Darwinism is now favoring some other up and coming nations, as the US is left struggling to hold on to the power it has left.  
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:08 am
DioxazinePlum
Social Darwinism for the most part can be applied to the job market. If you're the best (or the best bred) you get the best paying jobs (in theory).

Also look at the changing shift in the international system. The US is no longer the superpower it once was. Social Darwinism is now favoring some other up and coming nations, as the US is left struggling to hold on to the power it has left.

Ah, but national issues aren't subject to the mortality of animals. Just because America is seemingly mortally wounded, doesn't mean we won't bounce the ******** back up. We just need something to bring the economy back.

Personally I think that marijuana is looking like a promising plan.

No, I don't smoke marijuana, and never have (I know, surprising), but I do support legality of it.  

black_wing_angel
Vice Captain

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100

DioxazinePlum

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:56 pm
black_wing_angel
DioxazinePlum

Ah, but national issues aren't subject to the mortality of animals. Just because America is seemingly mortally wounded, doesn't mean we won't bounce the ******** back up. We just need something to bring the economy back.

No, I don't smoke marijuana, and never have (I know, surprising), but I do support legality of it.

International issues are an example of social darwinism, no matter how you look at it. In some cases, just plain darwinism. Its not about the economy, so much as the amount of power/influence that the US has steadily been losing. It doesn't mean we won't bounce back, but we are lacking some traits that are needed to be on top right now.  
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 2:56 pm
DioxazinePlum
black_wing_angel
DioxazinePlum

International issues are an example of social darwinism, no matter how you look at it. In some cases, just plain darwinism. Its not about the economy, so much as the amount of power/influence that the US has steadily been losing. It doesn't mean we won't bounce back, but we are lacking some traits that are needed to be on top right now.

Thanks in large part to George W. Bush pissing off most of the rest of the world.  

black_wing_angel
Vice Captain

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100

Archaic Thought
Captain

Aged Phantom

7,325 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 3:20 pm
black_wing_angel
DioxazinePlum
black_wing_angel
DioxazinePlum

Thanks in large part to George W. Bush pissing off most of the rest of the world.

I have to agree with him there. Bush's foreign policy is probably the worst since the Isolationist movement.  
Gaian Discourse

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games