Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gamers Promised Land, Gaia's Best Gaming and Pop Culture

Back to Guilds

Gaia's best guild for discussions and contests about Video Games, Pop Culture, general geek stuff, and any kind of discussion! 

Tags: Video Games, Pop culture, chatting, Internet, tournaments 

Reply Main Forum
Is DLC worth it?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Tron714
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:12 pm
I have been jipped abit when i bought the Legendary Map Pack for Halo 3. It is very rare that i get a chance to get ahold of a DSL connection at a friends house to play endless rounds of multiplayer slaughter fests. Then Microsoft decides to add every map pack with the release of Halo: ODST. I dont feel as bad cause i wont be buying the Mythic Map pack.

Anyways to the point. Gears of War 2 is getting a expansion to the story and 7 new maps. There will be a disc being sold at retailers that have ALL map packs(that cost 10 dollars each on Live), the expansion "Road to Ruin", and a special Gears theme. All for 20 dollars. If you dont want the maps you already bought, the expansion is 20 dollars on Live without the theme.

So... is it really worth it to buy DLC such as Map packs?  
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:20 pm
I don't see a problem with it. It's a great way to keep interest in the games, and maintain some kind of profit. I could care less about a theme (or gears of war, to honest), anyways.  

Jonnnn

Tron714
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:26 pm
well 40 dollars on Live or 20 bucks at a retailer? If this trend is gonna keep up, i might as well wait for a looong while. That means Fallout 3 DLC will have to wait for a while.  
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:19 pm
It really depends on the game which you're downloading content for. In most cases, I would say no multiple times over unless it really was your golden gem (this however varies on taste of games and whatnot), and you had the extra cash all prepared for transaction.

I think it's best summed up as a matter of personal taste of where you get your games and the quality of gaming you really want out of any one game. neutral  

Chaotix Bluix
Crew

Eternal Lunatic

16,850 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • That One Hero 500
  • Divine Donator 100

Haratio TaFotter

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 3:47 am
I like DLC, because it can make games last that much longer. However, I wouldn't fork over points for every map pack, which means I would be left out of some fights (this is one key reason why I'm not ever getting Halo 3).  
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:31 pm
While we can complain that the disc with all the DLC for say fallout 3 will most likely be around 20$, and buying all 3 on live is 30$ you also have to keep in mind that you get the DLC sooner, faster, and you can redownload it anytime.

My real complaint with DLC, especially in fallout 3's case is that each installment is about 10$, and only lasts for like 2 hours. I could get more gameplay from hexic HD which came with my 360 for free....  

nitnit
Captain

Tron714
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:06 pm
Well you have to remember development costs play a factor of the price tag. Also price is also dictacted by Microsoft itself. Braid themes/gamer pics would of been free, but of course Microsoft wanted money for it. I find expansions are exceptable to be purchased right away if you love the game.

There is also a thing on Live, where if a map pack has been out for a loooong while. It goes free so everyone can play the multiplayer and not feel short changed.  
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:12 pm
Trust me, the development cost to make the fallout 3 DLCs couldn't have been that high, especially considering that there are some free fan made mods for the PC version that introduce more to the game than the DLCs.  

nitnit
Captain

Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces