Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gamers Promised Land, Gaia's Best Gaming and Pop Culture

Back to Guilds

Gaia's best guild for discussions and contests about Video Games, Pop Culture, general geek stuff, and any kind of discussion! 

Tags: Video Games, Pop culture, chatting, Internet, tournaments 

Reply Main Forum
Interplay ReReleases Fallout "trilogy"

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 4:25 pm
In case anyone cares, Interplay, who still holds the rights to the original fallout games has decided to take the first two along with the spinoff "Fallout: Tactics" and box them together.

I still have yet to play Tactics, but don't be mistaken the story is non-canon, and I've heard it's just mediocre. HOWEVER, this includes the first two games, and the first one is frankly a masterpiece. If anyone is interested in what it looks like (the package):

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9314538&st=fallout&lp=7&type=product&cp=1&id=1218083032724

Discussion Points:

- How do you feel about companies rereleasing old games?

- Fallout trilogy? Last time I checked Fallout Tactics wasn't really a fallout game (well neither was 3). Seems like this is interplay's way of getting back at bethesda for their stronghanded tactics (if anyone wants more info just ask here)

- Has anyone else played the original fallout games? If not it's worth a least a torrent try.  
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:48 pm
I think Interplay would like their share of the money is all. I mean fallout was pretty epic back then, but it was such a smaller audience. Since gaming is now more mainstream, Interplay wants a slice of the cake. I might pick this up and play it, or just play it on gametap for 5 dollars cheaper.

I actually dont mind companies rerelease older games. Sometimes you cant either find or your older copy just doesnt work. Who wouldnt want to relive older memories? I mean everyone is doing it anyways. Especially nintendo. I got Banjo: Nuts and Bolts just to get Banjo-Kazooie on XLA for free and going to get Banjo-Tooie as well.

As for Fallout 3 being non-canon? It fits into the story, a vault dweller leaves into the world to find out things are different and has a big impact of his area/city.

I enjoyed Fallout 3 and the experiences with it. Bethesda breathed new life into the series and they now own IP now and they will do whatever they please with the franchise.

I think Interplay will go bankrupt again though. Mainly becuase of their announcement of a Fallout MMO.  

Tron714
Vice Captain

Haratio TaFotter

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:04 pm
I think its good that they're releasing them again. I didn't get to finish the first Fallout game.... cousin had it a long time ago and got rid of it before I finished it.  
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:17 pm
(mostly directed at tron)

I never said that F3 wasn't canon, it technically is, I said that fallout tactics wasn't canon, which is why it's funny that interplay is calling it the fallout trilogy, when in reality the trilogy would be Fallout 1 + 2 and the canceled Fallout 3 that was scrapped 60% through development since interplay lost so much money... buuut I guess that now the trilogy would be the current 1+2+3.

Regardless. I think it's interesting that Bethesda has given the job of Fallout: Las Vegas to the development studio of neverwinter nights 2 / KOTOR 2, and the lead designer is the guy who was directing the original fallout 3... sounds like Fallout: Las Vegas might be the game that the original fans are really looking for.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Fallout 3, I just feel that there's just too many flaws with the story compared to the first game (I could write an article about them, lol). I even have gripes with the second game's story, and that one is also often considered a masterpiece.  

nitnit
Captain

Tron714
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:39 pm
nitnit

- Fallout trilogy? Last time I checked Fallout Tactics wasn't really a fallout game (well neither was 3).
Quote:
(mostly directed at tron)

I never said that F3 wasn't canon

rolleyes Thats where i got that from... anyways

I agree with you that the story is flawed, i love Fallout and its story. I pretty much looked up/read the storylines of all games that had the Fallout name to it. I say Bethesda is not the greatest at story telling, but they did their best i guess.  
Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games