Welcome to Gaia! ::

Nintendo Cult!

Back to Guilds

So long and thanks for the memories. 

Tags: Nintendo, Gaming, Video games 

Reply 'Tendo Cult~
Square Enix would like you to stop paying homage to its work Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

wariodude128

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 5:28 pm
GuruGuru214
Well, this caused me to go and pick up a Wikipedia-level knowledge of copyright infringement, derivative work, and transformativeness. And that only gave me a headache, and while I understand a little more about what protections derivative works are entitled to, I wasn't able to get a good enough grasp on transformativeness to figure out whether a fan game would be considered transformative enough to have legal protection.

Big words aside, though, this is utter bullshit. Bad Squenix, bad!

I read the thing on derivative work, and it seems that Square Enix is just being a bully. According to what I read, A derivative work can have the same characters and art and stuff, so long as there is originality to the story, the art etc. Ever heard of Doujinshi? That's what I call a good example. If this goes to court, the makers of the new game could win on the count of not only is it clearly a derivative work, but the creators are not selling it either. If they sold it, then maybe Square would have something. If you agree with what I said, please quote.  
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 5:53 pm
They shut down a fan game that no one would be making profit off of?

Mother ********...  

-Hel the Reaper-

Decavolty

Quotable Player

5,350 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 12:51 am
Allegro
Decavolty
Allegro
Decavolty
It's business 101.

The creator isnt making a profit, why should it allow it's creation to be modified?
Because the modification wasn't going to turn a profit either?

I dunno, you could always ask Valve.

Doesnt matter, it's still SE's call.

Not saying I agree with it, I'm saying they are well within their right.
You can't definitively say that they're within their right. Copyright law is extremely fuzzy still. It's impossible to say who would win in court on a case like this.

The only argument the guys would have had is that it's been over 10 years (?) since the copyright was given, and even that is fuzzy.

You're right about not knowing, seeing as the devs didnt want to rock the boat. Spineless. Probably moneyless too. XD  
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 3:31 am
Waynebrizzle
Eh. They've cancelled better.

O.O That makes me want to die...
and to the one that said meh to Star Ocean and Valkyrie Profile...say that again if you wish to keep your cojones...jk. Everyone has their own opinions or fanboyisms  

RyomaKun1992

TtheHero

Unbeatable Protagonist

29,625 Points
  • Falling For You 25
  • Waffles! 25
  • Diedrich Supporter 50
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 6:10 am
melikefood
To Japan!
We will go push SquareEnix people down the steps!

BEST SUMMER EVER.

And we'll make good on Geno's threat as well!  
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 10:19 am
wow that seems like a waste ..... I would imagine it would of been more promising to just buy it and revamp it for the DS , not destroy it  

Dryson

Invisible Prophet

GrowingDandelion

5,600 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Junior 100
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 6:46 pm
RyomaKun1992
Decavolty
It's business 101.

The creator isnt making a profit, why should it allow it's creation to be modified?

Ask evolution or whatever the hell created us. I don't see our creators or lack there of getting any money, but if the creator wants to make a profit they should listen to the damn consumers and make a new Chrono.

I'm not saying they shouldn't get payed for their work, but it's just a little ******** annoying to see a multibillion dollar company so touchy about every little thing.
(fixed)

Youtube's got an apprentice. stare

And KHII Final Mix was released in North America.  
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 8:45 am
To be fair they would be breaking the law by releasing it and I think Square Enix is letting them off lightly, I'm sure they could have sued etc. I think they should have considered negotiating with them though to release the game officially though. Maybe consider employing these obviously skilled and creative fans?

Would you want someone else to use things you've painstakingly created, make their own thing with them? Sure, they're a very rich company but they still don't want to be wronged. If this fan project took off and became popular it would inspire more to be made, eventually making Square Enix irrelevant to Chrono Trigger. This could potentially make them lose a lot of potential money and maybe even go bust. They've got to show the fans who's boss. They should do another great game of course but they shouldn't risk everything on letting a fan project go un-prosecuted.

Maybe one day fan created things will be allowed if they're not made for profit but for that to happen someone needs to change the law or at least the rules companies have formed.  

Sakuneko-chan

Allegro

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 9:08 am
Sakuneko-chan
To be fair they would be breaking the law by releasing it
Not true at all. If the proper disclaimers had been up and the team hadn't made a profit off of it, they were in no way breaking the law, no more so than fanfiction writers do.  
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 1:53 pm
I think it's funny that they cancel all these things yet the best they can do with the game is port it to DS and add an extra dungeon or whatever bull it was.  

Waynebrizzle

Acoustic Ambience

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 2:06 pm
Fusion_X_ Rebirth
This is the first I've heard of this, but that doesn't excuse the giant middle finger that Square decided to give. I'd think that Square would be making enough mony as it is but I guess not. stare A real shame.. =_=

Exactly what I was thinking...  
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 2:10 pm
Waynebrizzle
I think it's funny that they cancel all these things yet the best they can do with the game is port it to DS and add an extra dungeon or whatever bull it was.
Extra 3 dungeons, extra endboss, extra ending that won't make sense unless you go out and buy CC, which is almost impossible to find nowadays. xd I wonder if we're due for a CC remake next?  

5ir Psycho 5exy

Waynebrizzle

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 2:16 pm
-Zephyrotica-
Waynebrizzle
Extra 3 dungeons, extra endboss, extra ending that won't make sense unless you go out and buy CC, which is almost impossible to find nowadays. xd I wonder if we're due for a CC remake next?

I guess that's not too bad actually. It just bothers me a lot that they didn't update the graphics at all.  
'Tendo Cult~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff