Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Lightworker?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Tari_Leralonde

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 5:42 pm
So, a couple days ago there was an Intuitive Arts Festival in my town. I went, and had tons of fun, etc. I got a tarot reading from a rather intelligent, skilled woman, and in part of the reading she told me that I'm a "lightworker".
I've heard this term before, but I've never really learned about it. What I'm trying to ask is:
What is a lightworker? What kinds of things do they do? Is it a religion, a paradigm, a practice....what?  
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 6:09 pm
Why didn't you ask the reader?

I've never heard of it before, and my first instinct is to dismiss it as something she made up, possibly to make her clients feel speshul. But on the other hand, if she did make it up and is genuine about it, it will still mean something specific to her. So if you ask her, even if she made it up, she can still tell you what she meant by using the term.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:24 pm
Sanguina Cruenta

I've never heard of it before, and my first instinct is to dismiss it as something she made up, possibly to make her clients feel speshul. But on the other hand, if she did make it up and is genuine about it, it will still mean something specific to her. So if you ask her, even if she made it up, she can still tell you what she meant by using the term.

Lightworking (and Lightworkers) are a concept that involves people bringing healing and enlightenment to others,and the Earth to awaken the New Age. Supposedly they're "gifted' people working to harmonize themselves and others to a higher-vibration, and thus achieve their goals. The goals themselves seem to vary greatly; there's no standards of practice there, or unity of methodology.

It's a practice, and I suppose a paradigm, and a philosophy - but I wouldn't call it a faith or religion. Rather, it seems more like a form of magic - crystals, chakras, meditation, healing, dowsing for alien ley-lines full of dolphin chi - you name it. I've seen it appended to several different faiths. Unfortunetely, it doesn't seem to involve a whole lot of factual information, and seems to frown on healthy skepticism, which makes me wary of it. It's quite eclectic, very touchy-feely-feel-good; and sometimes it's cultural appropriation at its' finest. I don't really have a high opinion of such things.

Many professional tarot readers aren't psychic. What they are, is skilled at reading peoples' body language, as well as taking cues from your physical appearance. They fish for information by throwing out random statements or terms to see your reactions, and give them more to build their 'readings' on.

A reader's also got a good bet that anybody who's at a psychic fair-type event is going to have some interest in those arts, especially if they're not projecting a really hard skeptic block. She was probably ok as readers go, but chances are just as good she threw it out there just as a hook, to see if you'd catch it and she could spin it out into the cards a bit more.  
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:32 pm
Google "lightworker", and see what you come up with. biggrin
Personally, it's seems a bit creepy to me, and I'm into crystals, chakras and energy work.  

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:45 pm
Sounds creepy. Doreen Virtue-brand creepy.  
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:44 pm
Sanguina Cruenta

I did ask her about it, but she was pretty vague and all she said was they were people who shed light and warmth. But it was a ten-minute reading, so I guess she wanted to get everything across to me within that time frame.  

Tari_Leralonde

Aryain Flames

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:46 pm
Well, if you simply look at the etymology of the word, you can break it down into two parts: light worker. Or rather, one who works light. Now, assuming the woman didn't merely make up the term as earlier suggested, she was probably telling you that you are a person who does kind, helpful things for other people. That's my best interpretation!  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games