Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
sabbats and esbats question

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 10:50 am
i have a question. it's kind of a dumb question, but none of the books i've read are very specific about it and most of you seem to know what you're talking about, so my question is:

are the sabbats and esbats wiccan holidays or witches' holidays?  
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 1:01 pm
whiporwill-o
i have a question. it's kind of a dumb question, but none of the books i've read are very specific about it and most of you seem to know what you're talking about, so my question is:

are the sabbats and esbats wiccan holidays or witches' holidays?

I'm inclined to say Wiccan, but really only because "sabbat" and "esbat" are specifically Wiccan terms, when being used in reference to holidays.

The days themselves seem to have varying meaning to different pagan faiths.  

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

Beautiful Propaganda

6,300 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Hunter 50
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 4:33 pm
I'm pretty sure they're Wiccan holidays, because the mythology corresponds to Wicca (like the God's birth on Yule).  
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 7:11 pm
You mean the term "Sabbat"? It's been associated with witchcraft before the advent of Wicca, though I'm not sure whether the word was used at the time or whether the word was "Sabbath". Same etymology anyway xd If you're asking whether you have the right to use the word, I think you're cool. If it makes you feel better, just chuck the "h" on the end of it.

As for "Esbat", wiki quotes Murray using it decades before Wicca came about. So I think you're cool there too, unless Wicca wants to claim it retro-actively due to Murray's influence on their faith, although other people can be and have been influenced by Murray as well.

Murray
"The Esbat differed from the Sabbat by being primarily for business. ... very often the Esbat was for sheer enjoyment only"

....so I think you're good there too. So long as you acknowledge that it means something specific in Wicca, and that other spiritual paths using the word won't be using it in the same way.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:48 pm
thanks guys heart  
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 2:33 am
•♥•

From what I've been able to tell, all of the Sabbats and Esbats celebrated are Wiccan when it comes to celebrating them as a whole, but I've heard of other Pagan paths outside of Wicca do follow some Sabbats and Esbats. They just don't necessarily follow all of them, like most Wiccans do. I can't remember any examples at the moment, sorry.

•♥•

raging-earth

Bad Quality Serena

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 5:10 pm
i have this thingy with all of the holiday dates on it and it said Estbats are full moons. is that true?  
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 6:12 pm
Xx_Serena-Hime_xX
i have this thingy with all of the holiday dates on it and it said Estbats are full moons. is that true?

Esbats are celebrated on the cycles of the moon: new, waxing/crescent, full, and waning/dark.

Typically groups gather for new moons and full moons, but it's not set in stone.  

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

Bad Quality Serena

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:01 pm
Morgandria
Xx_Serena-Hime_xX

Esbats are celebrated on the cycles of the moon: new, waxing/crescent, full, and waning/dark.

Typically groups gather for new moons and full moons, but it's not set in stone.

oh. okay. thank you.~  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games