Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Discourse

Back to Guilds

A guild for those who wish to occasionally find refuge from the GD and ED forums 

Tags: conversation, debate 

Reply Gaian Discourse
Refusing medical treatment. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kuchen Fairy

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 12:29 pm
Fresnel
Who are we kidding? Drugs, prostitution... we've never had bodily domain.

If drugs and prostitution are the choices of those involved then I don't see a problem. Forcing people to take drugs, however...  
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 12:47 pm
Silver Screen
Fresnel

If drugs and prostitution are the choices of those involved then I don't see a problem. Forcing people to take drugs, however...
Drugs and prostitution are both issues of bodily domain. Who's to say someone shouldn't shoot up some heroin? Sure it might harm him, but it harms ONLY him, and that's his choice.

You might make a case that prostitution affects others, but it's not like they don't know EXACTLY what they're getting into and what they're risking.  

Fresnel

Citizen

black_wing_angel
Vice Captain

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 12:53 pm
Fresnel
Silver Screen
Fresnel

Drugs and prostitution are both issues of bodily domain. Who's to say someone shouldn't shoot up some heroin? Sure it might harm him, but it harms ONLY him, and that's his choice.

You might make a case that prostitution affects others, but it's not like they don't know EXACTLY what they're getting into and what they're risking.

As long as proper precautions are taken, there is minimal chance for harm.

Besides, it's the risk you take...

Hell, I take a risk each time I put my vehicle in gear.  
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 1:02 pm
black_wing_angel
Fresnel
Silver Screen
Fresnel

You never know which enemy with a pair of wire cutters was dicking with your brake lines last night...  

Fresnel

Citizen

Kuchen Fairy

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 1:22 pm
Fresnel
black_wing_angel
Fresnel
Silver Screen
Fresnel

You never know which enemy with a pair of wire cutters was dicking with your brake lines last night...

Have you been spying on me? mad  
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 2:17 pm
Silver Screen
Fresnel
black_wing_angel
Fresnel
Silver Screen
Fresnel

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  

Fresnel

Citizen

black_wing_angel
Vice Captain

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:32 pm
Silver Screen
Fresnel
black_wing_angel
Fresnel
Silver Screen
Fresnel

I knew it!

It was Ms. Silver, in the garage, with the wire cutters!  
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 10:08 pm
black_wing_angel
Silver Screen
Fresnel
black_wing_angel
Fresnel

I knew it!

******** win.  

Fresnel

Citizen

black_wing_angel
Vice Captain

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 5:30 am
Fresnel
black_wing_angel
Silver Screen
Fresnel
black_wing_angel
Fresnel

I knew it!

******** win.

I know, it works so well, doesn't it?

Then again, I could be Mr. Black.  
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 3:03 pm
I think it should be a persons choice whether they want it or not. Someone else shouldn't force them to do anything that they view as unneeded or for whatever reason are against.  

GREEEEEEEEEEEN

black_wing_angel
Vice Captain

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 11:46 pm
GREEEEEEEEEEEN
I think it should be a persons choice whether they want it or not. Someone else shouldn't force them to do anything that they view as unneeded or for whatever reason are against.

Espeically in the case of those who are religiously or otherwise spiritually forbidden from seeking unnatural cures. Then it becomes unconstitutional.  
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 3:07 am
black_wing_angel
Silver Screen
Fresnel
Silver Screen
If all else fails, this kid should eat a shotgun in protest. This is so ******** wrong it's sickening.

OOH! OOH! He should claim to be a Christian Scientist.

What I don't understand is how a girl even younger than this boy can go across state lines to have an abortion and not even have to inform her parents of the medical procedure - and yet this kid can't even decide for himself whether or not he should get chemo. I have a feeling this is going to end up in the hands of the Supreme Court.
How far can the government go in controlling others until people step up and say hey, this is wrong? Until it starts happening to those people? It's very easy to judge from the outside - chemo gives the kid a chance at life, so chemo sounds great. But I'm not that kid. Nobody else is that kid except him. He's the only one that should be able to make decisions about his own body if it's not harming anybody else.

Yes, chemo does sound great. Unless you practice a given religion or spirituality that bans advanced medical procedures, and any artificial medicines.

I forget what it was, but there is a religion that bans blood transfusions, as well as many medical procedures, save for "natural" cures.

Essentially, with that in mind, it's unconstitutional to tell someone, ANYONE, "YOU WILL GET THIS DONE!". If he wants to die, then ******** it. Let him die. He surely has his reasons.

The government has no right to tell you what you can and can not do with your own body, as that infringes "bodily domain", which is what all of those pro-choice advocates hold SACRED.

In short, if I make a decision regarding my body, knowing damn good and well the consequences, and it holds no legitimate effect on YOUR life, then ******** your opinion.

Quote:
And honestly, if I was that kid and felt the same way he did about the whole thing, a shotgun to the teeth is the exact thing I'd be pondering right about now. I hope they don't find him but chances are the government will, and no doubt by then he'll be significantly more ill, so by the time they strap him down and force the chemo on him, it may or may not be too late and he'll just spend the rest of his days throwing up his Cheerios. Sounds charming.

All in all, I'd rather die the way I want to than let somebody else tell me what's "best" for me.

I agree. Where does it end? Will the government soon decide that my diet is unacceptable, and force me to eat food I wouldn't touch, because "it's what's "best" for me"?

I don't think so. I'd just assume stab myself with the fork, than eat some of the s**t that's supposed to be "good" for me.

I spent 12 years in public school (plus Kindergarten), and I've seen some of the food that the good ol' Government has "approved" for my diet, and let's just say that I skipped lunch more than a few times. The s**t they feed kids in school, man.

Although, it got better in Highschool, since you could actually CHOOSE what you got. You could have just a boat of fries, every ******** day, if you wanted! As many boat-fulls as you want, as long as you pay for them all!

She burns like the sun, and I can't look away

Actually, chemo only sounds great until you have to have it.
She'll burn our horizons, make no mistake.

Kats Scratches

GREEEEEEEEEEEN

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:46 am
black_wing_angel
GREEEEEEEEEEEN

Espeically in the case of those who are religiously or otherwise spiritually forbidden from seeking unnatural cures. Then it becomes unconstitutional.
Exactly, and I myself am all for organic food, and using herbs for treatments instead of these multi-colored pills they feed you if you've got the slightest medical complaint.  
Gaian Discourse

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff