Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Asatru, Kemetic, Hellensimos or other Recon/Path Resources?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

MidnightLetter
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 5:38 pm
If anyone has any good info sources on Reconstructionist Religions/Paths, please feel free to share them. Books, websites, yahoo groups, ect...

If you have any experience with any of these paths, please feel free to share as well.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 5:40 pm
Links from the "Library"...

[GUIDE] Intro: Pagans, Heathens and Recons
[GUIDE]Asatru Guide
_________

Off of Gaia...

Kemetic Orthodoxy

The Troth - Asatru

Asatru Alliance

There seems to be a fairly active Yahoo group on Hellensimos (Hellenic Recon), but I'm not a member so I don't know how good it is.  

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:30 pm
Hellenismos:

This one is a good basic intro with a great example ritual that you can adapt for your own purposes. I've found it useful myself.

This site contains a heap of essays that look really good.

The Theoi Project, the site that makes Hellenism the envy of all other recons.

Asatru:

Raven Kindred - good site. Has a link to the Ravenbok.  
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 7:07 pm
CELT: Free online source for Irish history, literature, and politics.

The Poetic Eddas. The older collection of Nordic myths and heroic tales. Via Sacred-Texts.

The Prose Eddas. The younger collection of Nordic myths. Via Sacred-texts.

Sagas of the Volsungs.

And since I don't know what is and isn't a source text for the Kemetics, here is the whole ST page for the Egyptians.

BIG FREAKING LIST OF PDF WITCHCRAFT AND CM BOOKS. ***Take extra care when reading and dealing with some of the CM stuff. Don't summon or call up anything you can't put back down.  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

Ellisari

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 7:42 pm
Violet Song jat Shariff
CELT: Free online source for Irish history, literature, and politics.

The Poetic Eddas. The older collection of Nordic myths and heroic tales. Via Sacred-Texts.

The Prose Eddas. The younger collection of Nordic myths. Via Sacred-texts.

Sagas of the Volsungs.

And since I don't know what is and isn't a source text for the Kemetics, here is the whole ST page for the Egyptians.

BIG FREAKING LIST OF PDF WITCHCRAFT AND CM BOOKS.

Oh my gods, I could kiss you for posting that PDF list <3
So helpful!  
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 7:57 pm
You're welcome wink .
I should probably add in a bit of a warning alongside that link to take extra care when dealing with some of the CM stuff....  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

Starlock

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 2:54 pm
Personally, if I were going to embark on this sort of path, the first thing I would do is formally study (as in college coursework) the classics. If I wasn't able to do that, I would start reading every single book on that era I could get my hands on. Forget for a moment what other recons say; it's always worthwhile to do your own digging first and foremost. I'd probably start learning whatever language was used by that culture (which probably really would be best done in a college setting with a mentor) so I could later read primary sources instead of second hand interpretations of texts.

But it all depends on how nitpicky you want to be about it. How a**l are you willing to be about thoroughly researching something? If you're going to be very picky, you might as well do yourself a favor and go to college, get a masters, and get a Ph.D. Then you can actually get paid for your obsessive scrutinizing habits and you'll actually have the background to say something with a reasonable degree of authority. One of the interesting things about reaching the upper tiers of education is the more you learn, the more you realize you don't know s**t and that everything is much more massively complicated than you could have possibly imagined beforehand (that one's from personal experience, folks). lol  
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 3:50 pm
I think that if someone is here in a guild on Gaia and looking at the list here, a majority of the things you have suggested are beyond their means, or something they don't have access to at their current uni.

Learn Icelandic? ******** yea I'd like to learn Icelandic. I can't afford to go back to Uni to learn it; I'm not even sure it's taught anywhere around here. I won't even go into why getting back into uni and starting up another 4-year degree is not in my immediate future.

I find that talking to other recons is immensely helpful, really. If it weren't for talking to people like Deoridhe and Ulfrikr I'd be neck-deep in Conway and Fitch, practicing "Norse Wicca" and forcing Freyja and Freyr into a gross, incestuous pairing as my Lord and Lady. Not to mention the wealth of experience that other recons who have been practicing longer can bring. I do think that to some degree talking to others can affect one's UPG, but to me, the benefits of contact and conversation with other recons outweigh the bit of coloring that happens.  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games