What's a computers?
View Results

Black_Angel_Flowne

2,550 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:18 am
OK, what's RPGing? Or RPing, whatever you call it? We have an RPG Area here, so...
I mean, I see this stuff, but it's like... Is it some type of story that everyone tells? Can anyone join in. Or is it just random people popping in trying to tell a really good story????  
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:44 am
RPG=role playing game

RP=role playing.

A roleplaying game would be Final Fantasy, Legend of Zelda, Fire Emblem, Harvest Moon, etc.

Role playing is people coming together and roleplaying a character, acting as them, to act out a story of sorts.

In our area anyone can join but some RP sites/forums are more exclusive.  

Zizzykitty
Crew

dragontamer363
Crew

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 7:11 am
3nodding
The way to think of it is a little like the games you used to play as kids, like when you pretended to be pirates or something and went on adventures.

With most roleplays anyone can join. So for example with the ones in this guild (and in the gaia forum) you make a character by filling out a little form the head of the roleplay topic usually displays for you to use:
eg
Quote:

Name:
Personality:
bio: (as in biography/past of character)
[/quote[

Then, once there's a few characters the roleplay starts. Usually the person who started the topic has an idea of a plot - certainly they set up the environment you'll roleplay in. These can be very simple outlines...

eg:
Quote:
In a would where humans fear Demons even though they not all evil, Demons go into hiding and are more scared of humans then they are scared of us.

Or more elaborate and detailed (usually these are in 'literate' rps)

Quote:

Welcome, welcome. As we can never have enough rps, i bring you a good ol' fantasy rp....

Dark times have settled over the lands. It was many weeks ago now, when the 'Creeping Sleep' came, apparently originating form the belly of the Underdark and spreading like a plauge. Like a silent mist, it infects the landscape, and all who are caught up within it are horribly twisted, resembling little more than the walking dead, and attacking those who try to oppose them. After the villages have been plundered, the victims return to the core, where it is thought the magical virus began - the Underdark's enterance.
Now, the great elvish city of Elethanon has fallen, and the drow have begun to rise up from the Underdark after this plauge. Some say that the paluge was cause by a drow sourcerer or necromancer, and now teh dark elves are fighting to regain control of the surface, and destroy tehri elvish enemies.
As the villages fall and the human king has declared war upon the drow, you are forced to evacuate the small island you have called home, and seek refuge in the great fort of Hesselan across the sea. Can you make it in time? What awaits you there? There is only one way to find out....

....You can play as any fantasy race. This is set in a D&D universe - in other words, a fairly traditional fantasy type rp, which is probably most comparable with the medieval historical period.

You will become part of a band of people who go out to try and find the cuase and stop this 'Creeping sleep' plauge...

Unlimited numbers of characters per person. Character sheets will come up tomorrow.

Enjoy!

Some roleplays can center on specific characters the roleplay master made up, but most are quite free. In pretty much any roleplay, the plot changes and is influenced by what the other players are doing -- because it's a group activity you never know what's going to happen!

The rolapley is played by each person writing a description of what their character is doing. Each person's characters will inevitably interact with each other and therefore a story is born. It's a lot of fun smile Here's some examples from a literate rp (as in a more descriptive one) and a more normal rp:

eg (literate rp)

Dragontamer363:

Quote:

Come, on, hurry." One of the town gaurds called to the crowd of people as they hurried through the forest path. They were survivors, having fled the tow when the 'ceeping sleep' descended down form the mountains, fleeing the walking dead. Craban was shoved bac and forth by the crowd as it funnelled down the narrow path, and clutche dhis bac close ot hsi chest. He wasn't about to become a pikpocket's next victim - after all, if it were him, he would have epxloited this situation to steal a few things. But sicne now he was a part of the confusion, he didn' feel it was right to exploit the bereaved and panicked people.
the sea was a long way off, and he didn't envy the jobs of the gaurds. Apparently they were all headed for a boat fo somekind to take them off the island. The creeping sleep had spread like wildfire, and now this supposedly 'safe' village had fallen there were very few left.

As he nudged past peopl he heard snippets of their conversations and his alert ears easily pick dup their whisperings. Many were araid of him - he wwas the only drow here, and recent rumors had tied the fact that the sleep origionated in the mountains to the idea that teh drow had created the plauge.

he gripped onto his bag tighter.

0Moon_Maiden0
Quote:

Orla sang the final verse and it echoed through the woods. There was nothing but silence then.

She continued her lone journey through the woods but stopped at the sound of many voices. Approaching silently with caution Orla came upon a group of villagers. She remained hidden among the shadows and bushes-her kind rarely approached the two-legged beings.

The group seemed anxious and very much in a hurry. She had no doubt that they were fleeing from what had wiped out her own clan. She both pitied and envied them. Pity for their loss of their home and envy that they still had one another.

One of the two-legs caught her attention when she caught a glimpse of his skin tone in a beam of moonlight. It appeared different from the others She tilted her head slightly to try and get a better look at-her gold earring gleamed....

Dragontamer363:
Quote:

Craban tugged his cloak hood ove rhis head in an attempt to cover himslef some more whens oemthing caught his eye. A flash in the darkness of the forest. His hand instantly went to one fo the mnay dagers hidden about his person, and he squinted. he had excellent sight in teh dark, and despite her camoflage he soon spotted the centaur that was wtaching them. he paused, momentarily sturck with awe at the creature - he had never seen before. She was huge. She was beautiful.
He didn't know what to do, but the fact that she seemed to keep so hidden seemed to shwo she didn't wnat to be noticed. He gave a vauge nod and reluctantly turned away to rejoin the group.

0Moon_Maiden0
Quote:
Orla seemed startled by the two-legged as he nodded in her direction. She wondered if he had truly seen her. As the group continued onward she continued to watch the strange little man until he and the others were out of view. Once gone-she emerged from her hiding place onto the path. She felt a chill down her spine and she looked out into the woods with alertness.

eg(non-literate rp)

brokeninside91:
Quote:

Krista sighs as she walks into a cafe. She takes her usual and sits at a table drinking softly. She smiles and sighs again resting her head on the chair behind her. "It has been a long day.."

WizardKittie:
Quote:

Jay glances out the window, noticing the little cafe for the first time. Glitch twiches his nose in his sleep.
Jay pushes her mug away from her, gets up, and stretches.
"C'Mon, Glitch," she yawns. "I need a drink that isn't made of half-crap."
Glitch blearyily opens one eye, gets up and shakes himself, then follows Jay out the door to the cafe.
She walks into the room, mildly surpirsed by the athmosphere. After all the weirdness, she expected things to...explode or something. But it felt completely normal in here. Both she and Glitch hesitate in the doorway....

Killersaredead:
Quote:

Maxwell, a sort of hippie looking young man, wonders into the cafe guitar strapped to his back. He waves at Krista because she comes to Cafe house a lot. walks up to the counter. "may i have my usual..a chocolate mocha" and then walks over to this small platform.

Wizardkittie:
Quote:
James and Glitch headed over to the counter.
"One chia tea latteia, please," James muttered.

....basically...the best thing to do is check out the rp section and have a read. It's really simple when you get the hang of it ^_~

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 7:36 am
Whoo-hoo, DT deems me literate! My life is complete now. wink  

0Moon_Maiden0

dragontamer363
Crew

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:04 am
haha pirate  
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 2:13 pm
I always considered literate all of what you said, even what you said as non-literate.

I considered non literate as when they're doing the whole asterik, thing.
*Zizzy walks in and sits down* Hello DT, how are you?  

Zizzykitty
Crew

dragontamer363
Crew

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 4:46 am
A, yes that's a point.

Still, the way i defined it was like in the main forums sometimes do. A lot of 'literate' rps there get a bit irritated if you write any less than maybe four sentances or something, or even require two paragraphs.  
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:11 pm
True. I don't RP a lot with true literate writing pages at a time though.

I just can't write that much because I only ever write my own character's actions, I feel like I'm controlling other characters if I start talking about what they do if the owner of them hasn't had them do it.

That and I'm not a writer by nature.  

Zizzykitty
Crew

Black_Angel_Flowne

2,550 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 7:12 pm
So, then, it's basically come up with characters and make up a story around the whole thing and hopefully it turns out well?

Ok... I get it. Thanx a lot. blaugh  
*~Purple Moonlight Haze~*

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff