Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Discourse

Back to Guilds

A guild for those who wish to occasionally find refuge from the GD and ED forums 

Tags: conversation, debate 

Reply Gaian Discourse
Should euthanization be legal in America? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Should it?
  Yes.
  No.
View Results

Fresnel

Citizen

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 3:42 am
Kats Scratches
Fresnel
Kats Scratches
Silver Screen
Kats Scratches

She burns like the sun, and I can't look away

I was being serious, all caps-rape aside. America does not equal the entire world, and most people seem to think that every questionable issue is reserved only for Americans. The entire world has these problems. They have welfare problems, housing problems, employment problems... There aren't just gays in america that want to marry each other! The WHOLE WORLD is full of gays that want to get married.

Stop. Being. So. Self. Centred. America.
She'll burn our horizons, make no mistake.

Some countries already have it legalised. I guess I really don't see the problem here.

Oh god, you silly Americans just don't get the point, do you? The rest of the world is all just a big joke, and as long as there's food on your plates and a roof over your head, it really doesn't matter?

Yes.
some countries have it legalized. Some. That's the point. America is not the only overpopulated country in the world, it's also not the only country that could do to lose a couple of vegetables or terminally ill people. Hate to sound harsh, but there it is. That's what we're talking about, here, isn't it?

My point is: America is not the only country in need of change. America is not the only country that have citizens speaking out, trying to make a change. I guess you're all so wrapped up in your own problems that you don't really see the world around you.

I watched my Aunt die a slow, painful death because she didn't have any alternative.

How the ******** is legalizing this s**t in
America going to help people in other countries deal with it?

It's not the issue itself I have a problem with, it's people believing that goddamn America is the centre of the ******** universe.

Just becuse something is legal/illegal in America does not mean that everyone has a happy ending. But of course once your order has been filled, no one will give a s**t, because you're all happy about your changes- who cares about the rest of the world, right? They're just a minor part of the world that has little consequence to everything.

"Oh how cute, Australia has legally recognized de facto gay relationships." This is nowhere near as close to same-sex marriage that we've been fighting to have the right for for decades. All this did was fix a glitch in the welfare system.

But of course, no one cares, because it's not in America.

That's my whole little rant in here. Maybe I should make a thread about it?

I can appreciate that some Americans value the worth of other countries, but the vast majority are living in their own little world, and it's like Australia, the UK, Asia and Europe are planets that have little to do with the lives of ********. You. All.
Kat, here's how it is. We're AMERICAN. We care about OURSELVES. What the ******** can we do to change laws in Timbuktu? Nothing, but we can change laws here. So we discuss laws here. You think your own ******** politicians would listen to angry letters from ANOTHER COUNTRY? No, they'd laugh, say 'they're not voting for me anyway!' and chuck them in the trash bin. We can't change your s**t, only you can. We can change our s**t though, so that's what we discuss.

This is meant to be an international forum, Fresnel. For people that are from all corners of the globe.
Fine then, an alternative answer: I can't be ******** to know the laws for all 220-whatever countries on this earth, so I'm going to list the laws for the ONE I know. If your laws are similar, chime in on the conversation. If they're not, chime in anyway and say why that makes your place of residence better or worse. If I said 'should gay marriage be legal on earth?' I'd get replies on-topic, I'd get replies about my insensitivity in countries where gays are already free to marry, I'd get one-world-government tinhat crazies, and fifteen other kinds of a*****e starting s**t through my apparent ineptitude. No matter what I do I'm going to get s**t for it, so I'd rather do it MY way, and not get s**t on for trying to please others. I'd rather get s**t on for hedonism anyway.  
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 10:04 am
I knew as soon as I noticed we are one member short of our original member count that she had left.

I don't understand what's wrong about wanting to cover issues in one country rather than the entire world.  

Kuchen Fairy

Archaic Thought
Captain

Aged Phantom

7,325 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 12:05 pm
Yes, it should be legal, you see, it's the persons choice wether they want to live wtih terminal cancer or a crippling disease, not the governments. It's the stance of "Holier than thou" that the (For me) US government gives us that irks me.  
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 12:07 pm
Fresnel
Kats Scratches
Fresnel
Kats Scratches
Silver Screen
Kats Scratches

I was being serious, all caps-rape aside. America does not equal the entire world, and most people seem to think that every questionable issue is reserved only for Americans. The entire world has these problems. They have welfare problems, housing problems, employment problems... There aren't just gays in america that want to marry each other! The WHOLE WORLD is full of gays that want to get married.

Some countries already have it legalised. I guess I really don't see the problem here.

Oh god, you silly Americans just don't get the point, do you? The rest of the world is all just a big joke, and as long as there's food on your plates and a roof over your head, it really doesn't matter?

Yes.
some countries have it legalized. Some. That's the point. America is not the only overpopulated country in the world, it's also not the only country that could do to lose a couple of vegetables or terminally ill people. Hate to sound harsh, but there it is. That's what we're talking about, here, isn't it?

My point is: America is not the only country in need of change. America is not the only country that have citizens speaking out, trying to make a change. I guess you're all so wrapped up in your own problems that you don't really see the world around you.

I watched my Aunt die a slow, painful death because she didn't have any alternative.

It's not the issue itself I have a problem with, it's people believing that goddamn America is the centre of the ******** universe.

Just becuse something is legal/illegal in America does not mean that everyone has a happy ending. But of course once your order has been filled, no one will give a s**t, because you're all happy about your changes- who cares about the rest of the world, right? They're just a minor part of the world that has little consequence to everything.

"Oh how cute, Australia has legally recognized de facto gay relationships." This is nowhere near as close to same-sex marriage that we've been fighting to have the right for for decades. All this did was fix a glitch in the welfare system.

I can appreciate that some Americans value the worth of other countries, but the vast majority are living in their own little world, and it's like Australia, the UK, Asia and Europe are planets that have little to do with the lives of ********. You. All.
Kat, here's how it is. We're AMERICAN. We care about OURSELVES. What the ******** can we do to change laws in Timbuktu? Nothing, but we can change laws here. So we discuss laws here. You think your own ******** politicians would listen to angry letters from ANOTHER COUNTRY? No, they'd laugh, say 'they're not voting for me anyway!' and chuck them in the trash bin. We can't change your s**t, only you can. We can change our s**t though, so that's what we discuss.

This is meant to be an international forum, Fresnel. For people that are from all corners of the globe.
Fine then, an alternative answer: I can't be ******** to know the laws for all 220-whatever countries on this earth, so I'm going to list the laws for the ONE I know. If your laws are similar, chime in on the conversation. If they're not, chime in anyway and say why that makes your place of residence better or worse. If I said 'should gay marriage be legal on earth?' I'd get replies on-topic, I'd get replies about my insensitivity in countries where gays are already free to marry, I'd get one-world-government tinhat crazies, and fifteen other kinds of a*****e starting s**t through my apparent ineptitude. No matter what I do I'm going to get s**t for it, so I'd rather do it MY way, and not get s**t on for trying to please others. I'd rather get s**t on for hedonism anyway.

(Double post, yeah)

I've got to agree with Fresnel here, he's giving an example from HIS country (The US, I assume) He's not trying to represent the UK, Canada or other Euro countries, he's presenting the opinion of (Once again, I assume) The US. Deal with it. (And just to note, it does say in the topic title, IN AMERICA. Sheesh.)  

Archaic Thought
Captain

Aged Phantom

7,325 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Autobiographer 200

Rimama

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 3:02 pm
What was said earlier about legalizing it due to the justification of that the world's population has grown too large. As I see it myself, the impact wouldn't perhaps be as large as we'd like to think as it is since in most civilised nations, population is not increasing substantially but rather an extremely slow growth or a decrease of population like Italy right now (and possibly Sweden soon too for instance), the large increase of population occurs in places of the world where having a larger family is or is perceived to be advantageous, not to mention the increase of forced marriages due to faith or economic trouble (prevalent in the MDCs too but more in LEDCs) whereas there are many people who stay childless in Western Society.

If anything, improving conditions in those countries will stabilise population if anything, if economic circumstances don't improve demographers have speculated that the population will spike at around 8 billion if I'm not mistaken and just fall if circumstances today are too similar to the year this is speculated to happen. Or nature will have its ways with mankind, there is of course no victory for mankind in his struggle against nature, only delayed defeat. (A bit offtopic but just thought I'd share)

On the topic of Euthenasia I doubt I hold a new opinion, it should be legal, but it also brings the question in, can the desires of society supersede the desires made by an individual, does the person in question hold sufficient rationality to do it for instance, or does society know better?
I'll leave it at that I think that there should be circumstances before someone ought to be able to do the act, I do not believe that any random person may just commit suicide if they don't feel very good during some day whereas prolonged depression, extremely little hope, large terminal pain or terminal cancer are quite different.

Just my own thoughts, but does anyone else think that the "big guys" benefit more economically if there are mindless consumers who keep on buying and buying products (thereby investing in the economy of course)... It may be more than moral tbh, if we look at it aside from the moral perspective.  
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 6:31 pm
In my opinion, euthanasia should be legalized with a very few restrictions. I think its very important to have a living will (hypocritical since I don't have one yet, but I intend to soon enough). I also think its very important to have specific guidelines about euthanizing a person in a coma. To my knowledge, the standard is to wait about six weeks before bringing it up, and I think that without total evidence of brain damage this is a good idea. Being able to just have someone in a coma who has only been in one for a few days or weeks may seem like a decent thing in theory but it has a lot of potential for abuse.

Over all, I agree with the idea and practice, I just want it to be as uncorrupted as possible ^^  

JettaKD

6,850 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Tycoon 200

GREEEEEEEEEEEN

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:24 pm
Kats Scratches
Silver Screen
Kats Scratches

Yes.

Oh ******** you lady.

The topic says AMERICA.

Get the ******** over your bullshit, and realize that no one can significantly change the fact that America is richer, except the big rich companies that choose to exploit other countries.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:38 am
Silver Screen
I knew as soon as I noticed we are one member short of our original member count that she had left.

I don't understand what's wrong about wanting to cover issues in one country rather than the entire world.

She's just funny like that. She hates the fact that people act like America is the center of the universe.

Also, she tends to get offended by any discussion that's exclusive to Americans.

It's like if you have a friend that only ever talks about herself, and never about you.

She also has been known to have a rather short fuse, at times.  

black_wing_angel
Vice Captain

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100

GREEEEEEEEEEEN

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:01 am
black_wing_angel
Silver Screen

She's just funny like that. She hates the fact that people act like America is the center of the universe.

Also, she tends to get offended by any discussion that's exclusive to Americans.

It's like if you have a friend that only ever talks about herself, and never about you.

Why was she invited then?  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:03 pm
GREEEEEEEEEEEN
black_wing_angel
Silver Screen

Why was she invited then?

I thought she'd like it here.  

black_wing_angel
Vice Captain

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100

DioxazinePlum

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:39 am
I believe it should as long as you can pass a psychological test beforehand that you're not just "committing suicide".  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:03 pm
DioxazinePlum
I believe it should as long as you can pass a psychological test beforehand that you're not just "committing suicide".
Wait, why would anyone do it without reason?

I'm not saying everyone has a sufficient reason, but a reason none-the-less.

GREEEEEEEEEEEN

Gaian Discourse

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces