Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gamers Promised Land, Gaia's Best Gaming and Pop Culture

Back to Guilds

Gaia's best guild for discussions and contests about Video Games, Pop Culture, general geek stuff, and any kind of discussion! 

Tags: Video Games, Pop culture, chatting, Internet, tournaments 

Reply Main Forum
Notable questions:

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

B_wijn

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 6:18 pm
Why is it that, once a few new consoles are introduced (Wii, 360, PS3), the "people" stop making new games for older consoles like original Xbox?

Why the hell is there a DS, a DS Lite, & a DSi?

There should have been a mega DS with all the qualities of the others from the start in my opinion.

I have an Xbox and I can't enjoy all these new games that come out, came out, are coming out like God of War 3, Bioshock 2, Infamous, Resident Evil 5, and lots more. They seem so exciting, but unfortunately "they" only make it for the consoles that are worth more than my couches!

Watch. In a few more years, they might make a PS4 Elite or something! And then they'll stop making games for the regular Playstation.

Thanks for your thoughts, views, and opinions :}  
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 12:20 am
I'm gonna bite and assume this isn't a troll...

OK here we go

Game companies make games for the newer systems because that's what sells. New system means better technology, and more media attention. Can you do the things you can do on a 360 on a normal xbox? Absolutely not. Why would a game developer make God of War 3 or whatever for an inferior system when they can make a technologically more powerful game?

Why are there multiple DSes? Well. Nintendo released the DS, right? About a year or so later, they realized, "hey this thing is pretty bulky, and we can make it smaller, and make some money" So they released a DS lite. There are no DS lite games. If you want a smaller, sleeker DS, then get a lite. If you're fine with a big ol' DS, then get the old one, it's cheaper. As for the DSi, Nintendo realized "hey, we haven't made a new handheld in a while, and we don't really want to make a whole new generation of handheld, so let's just upgrade the DS with a camera and two touch screens"

Saying there should have been a mega DS from the start is stupid and unrealistic. That's like saying that it's dumb that new PCs keep coming out and people make better software for them, and by your logic all the current PCs should have been available from the start.

And yes, you're right, in a few years there might be a PS4. I said might because PS3 is doing terrible and sony has to figure out how to beat microsoft in the next generation or drop out. Also, they stopped making original playstation games a while ago. They were fun back then, but with a few exceptions the long loading screens, relatively bad graphics, and other annoyances of PS1 games make us not want to play them in favor of new games.

Having said all that, I do love old games. But we mustn't give up on progress just because someone doesn't like spending money for a more powerful system  

nitnit
Captain

Dreaming of the Day

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 3:30 am
nitnit

OK here we go

Game companies make games for the newer systems because that's what sells. New system means better technology, and more media attention. Can you do the things you can do on a 360 on a normal xbox? Absolutely not. Why would a game developer make God of War 3 or whatever for an inferior system when they can make a technologically more powerful game?

Why are there multiple DSes? Well. Nintendo released the DS, right? About a year or so later, they realized, "hey this thing is pretty bulky, and we can make it smaller, and make some money" So they released a DS lite. There are no DS lite games. If you want a smaller, sleeker DS, then get a lite. If you're fine with a big ol' DS, then get the old one, it's cheaper. As for the DSi, Nintendo realized "hey, we haven't made a new handheld in a while, and we don't really want to make a whole new generation of handheld, so let's just upgrade the DS with a camera and two touch screens"

Saying there should have been a mega DS from the start is stupid and unrealistic. That's like saying that it's dumb that new PCs keep coming out and people make better software for them, and by your logic all the current PCs should have been available from the start.

And yes, you're right, in a few years there might be a PS4. I said might because PS3 is doing terrible and sony has to figure out how to beat microsoft in the next generation or drop out. Also, they stopped making original playstation games a while ago. They were fun back then, but with a few exceptions the long loading screens, relatively bad graphics, and other annoyances of PS1 games make us not want to play them in favor of new games.

Having said all that, I do love old games. But we mustn't give up on progress just because someone doesn't like spending money for a more powerful system

Aw, you took the words right out my my mind  
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 3:34 am
And adding on to nitnit, not sure if i over looked it, the companies also release new systems from a buisiness point of view. Why dont you complain about iPods while your at it dear. Making soemthing new will intrest the buyers more, the need to be better then everyone eles and have all the cooler equipment. That need is strong in humans and it will always urge people to buy the newer and better things.

Dreaming of the Day

Tron714
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 3:47 am
I guess you didnt know the console life cycle was every 5 years?

Anyways, the only companies that stopped support for their last gen consoles is Microsoft and Nintendo. With the release of their newest console, game support for those systems died. Xbox technical support was cut off just last year recently. Sony's PS2 is still live and well and still having games made for it and pushing console sales.

(Edit: I meant to type "it is" a good time instead of "Not a good time". Consoles are pretty affordable at the moment)
Now is a good time to jump into the new system generation. Its not expected for anyone but Nintendo to release a new console. With PS3 lacking in sales, it may not be likely to launch a brand new console. I mean the PS3 has so much power in its hardware there is no reason to have a PS4, but you never know. As for the 360, Microsoft proved that they can breathe new life into a console thru system updates and revamping the 360 with the New Xbox Experience(is it still considered new? xd ) .

Either way, im on my 2nd 360 and im loving the vast library to play as well as the achievements(Im addicted to that lovely sound). From 200 to 400 dollars you can own one. A PS3 is as low as 300 and as high as 500. And for the wii will just set you back 250 and you have a large selection of shovelware.  
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 7:49 am
nitnit

OK here we go

Thanks for the generous time to share your words. Everything does link back to money in a way, and I know that, but still I'll probably end up buying a new console when it becomes old to the public. But ehh, it's ok though. Times are a'changin' and I'll have to suck it up. I can't have everything in the world.  

B_wijn

B_wijn

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 7:55 am
Dreaming of the Day
And adding on to nitnit, not sure if i over looked it, the companies also release new systems from a buisiness point of view. Why dont you complain about iPods while your at it dear. Making soemthing new will intrest the buyers more, the need to be better then everyone eles and have all the cooler equipment. That need is strong in humans and it will always urge people to buy the newer and better things.

Dreaming of the Day, thank you for your reply also. Yes, I have forgotton strangely, that things upgrade all the time and forever will; in addition to companies having to upgrade in order to get more money. Hah, as a matter of fact, I complain to myself often about how i-pods' navigation is annoying as hell, but I guess I must admit to my unecessary bias. Everything you have said, I agree with, and with all that said, I'm convinced that any other replies will be similar.  
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 11:37 am
Sky Eats Cereal - Yeah, I understand how expensive a new console can cost. Don't fret though, honestly a lot of the best games of all time are on old consoles, if you like JRPGs PS1 is really great, N64 is still the home of a lot of my childhood memories (especially Banjo Kazooie/Tooie), SNES is still another fantastic source of JRPGs, and as long as you have a GBA you're really still all set for the best handheld games. Not to mention the insane amount of old PC games that are still great, mostly western RPGs.

Also Tron, I just did a little research to refute what you said like I always do, but turns out you were right about PS2. I'm pretty impressed to be honest, though the majority of titles coming out seem to be movie/anime games, and guitar hero stuff. One other thing, why are you on your second 360? Did you own one and you damaged it? or did you want a better one? or what? cause if it's due to a 360 hardware problem then that's actually a bad thing, lol  

nitnit
Captain

Haratio TaFotter

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 3:39 pm
Tr0n714
I guess you didnt know the console life cycle was every 5 years?

Well, some people are saying that this will change soon. I mean we have made so many advances in gaming technology over the last couple of years, and soon the advances will start to run out (for instance, some think that graphics will have gone about just about as far as they will go for awhile by the time the next generation rolls around).  
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 4:01 pm
nitnit

Also Tron, I just did a little research to refute what you said like I always do, but turns out you were right about PS2. I'm pretty impressed to be honest, though the majority of titles coming out seem to be movie/anime games, and guitar hero stuff.

I know what im talking about a big 99% of the time sweatdrop the other 1% is the knowledge i hold that is escaping my mind when i try to talk about it. Like the Activision canceling stuff? (Yeah i got some info about that. just head on over to the correct thread and see what i know!)

nitnit

One other thing, why are you on your second 360? Did you own one and you damaged it? or did you want a better one? or what? cause if it's due to a 360 hardware problem then that's actually a bad thing, lol

I am on my 2nd 360 because of a possibility my motherboard is warped. I have had this 360 for 3 years and worked wondefully. It was a launch system and durable as hell. Its just i took it to a friends house one day and the picture wont show up on the TV. I had an expired warranty on it and Microsoft Tech Support wanted $100 + tax to fix it. I told them ill fix it myself and spend 100 more for a newer console, 5 more XLA games, and a new controller.(tahts right i bought the Arcade bundle xp )

Now i am currently in a bind cause every guide to open up your 360 does not match up with mine. The plastic casing has no screws and is snapped together. And when you get to the metal chase they have tiny screws that need to be removed and im thinking i need a T10 bit to remove them. What i need to do is remove the X Clamps on the motherboard and replace them with a simple quick fix which i know how to do.

Once i do all this poop, i will add greem LED whisper fans, green LED underglow, and a transperent casing. Then i will have a orgasmic glowing 360 to play with.  

Tron714
Vice Captain

Dreaming of the Day

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 3:30 am
Tr0n714

I am on my 2nd 360 because of a possibility my motherboard is warped. I have had this 360 for 3 years and worked wondefully. It was a launch system and durable as hell. Its just i took it to a friends house one day and the picture wont show up on the TV. I had an expired warranty on it and Microsoft Tech Support wanted $100 + tax to fix it. I told them ill fix it myself and spend 100 more for a newer console, 5 more XLA games, and a new controller.(tahts right i bought the Arcade bundle xp )

Now i am currently in a bind cause every guide to open up your 360 does not match up with mine. The plastic casing has no screws and is snapped together. And when you get to the metal chase they have tiny screws that need to be removed and im thinking i need a T10 bit to remove them. What i need to do is remove the X Clamps on the motherboard and replace them with a simple quick fix which i know how to do.

Once i do all this poop, i will add greem LED whisper fans, green LED underglow, and a transperent casing. Then i will have a orgasmic glowing 360 to play with.

You are such a guy. You cant even get it open silly willy.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 3:39 am
i told you gonk i dont have the right screwdriver and im not paying 60 bucks for 40 screwdrivers when i only need 1  

Tron714
Vice Captain

Dreaming of the Day

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 3:43 am
Tr0n714
i told you gonk i dont have the right screwdriver and im not paying 60 bucks for 40 screwdrivers when i only need 1

Lies, all lies, you just dont know how Xd I know you like the back of my hand xD. You will hate having me here cause ima shoot down all your ideas. xD

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 5:35 pm
Those companies just want to make more money and also technology is evolving, so of course they'll update it.  

Drake_XIV

Malevolent Duelist

5,850 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • PvP 200
Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items