Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Prayer Beads?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:18 am
So, I was wondering...

Does anyone here use prayer beads? Do you find them useful?

If you don't use prayer beads, why not? Do you think that they could potentially be a useful tool?

Do you use any other tool or device to enhance praying?  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:21 am
Violet Song jat Shariff
So, I was wondering...

Does anyone here use prayer beads? Do you find them useful?

If you don't use prayer beads, why not? Do you think that they could potentially be a useful tool?

Do you use any other tool or device to enhance praying?

I do use prayer beads, sometimes. I have made Wiccan "rosaries" in the past that are like a portable circle, and I also make a shorter "Witches' ladder" prayer beads that can be used in a couple different ways.

Prayer beads are useful to me in that they're portable, and easy to use without being blatant. I find that having the beads in my hand, moving them around, is a very comforting, meditative thing - which is the same reason I bead in the first place. I can reach an altered state of mind easily with them, and they have their own unique energy that accumulates with use.

I personally consider a candle a prayer device, along with incense, and I use those fairly frequently as well.  

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

o sunflower king

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:35 pm
surprised I haven't thought about it before, really.
Now I am interested!
What's a "witch's ladder," Morgandria?  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:43 pm
Jenny Artucio
Now I am interested!

Traditionally a witch's ladder is a protective amulet or spellworking that is a length of string or cord with various items (typically feathers) knotted into it at intervals. There is also a version of this that is forty knots or beads on a string that are made with a spell bound into them; it's then used like a set of prayer beads, but to repeat that spell over and ove rather than a prayer.

My witch's ladders are a little different. I have a picture and an explanation of mine here:
http://morgandria.deviantart.com/art/witch-s-ladder-water-74798406

I also am very very fond of Greek komboloi beads - Greek men often have them; they're worry beads, rather than prayer beads. Just a nifty, sometimes beautiful, toy to play with, or relax with.  

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:14 pm
Hm, that sounds pretty handy! (the witch's ladder and the komboloi beads)  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:36 pm
Personally I like the idea of prayer beads. I find them quite helpful for grounding. Helps focus my mind anyway. However I know that some of my circle mates dont like the idea of them. Same with angels just too close to an old religion for them.  

Zabi_baby

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:51 pm
we sell mala beads where i work, but i do not own any yet.

morg, i went to your link and your beads are beautiful 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:03 pm
I've never used prayer beads, its just a simple personal choice I find. I meditate and pray best when my hands are in my lap. Holding onto something I fear would make it hard for me to slip into a between state.

GoddessAttuned

Mind-boggling Fatcat

raging-earth

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:24 pm
I use Catholic rosaries. One, because I was raised Roman Catholic and I have always had a fond love for them. Two, because all of my rosaries have been gifts from my grandmother, who I feel very close to spiritually. I have three rosaries that I use at different times. I have one made from pressed rose petals (a symbol of my patron saint, St. Therese) that I generally use in the spring. I use my wood rosary mostly in the late summer and fall. And then any other time I who my amethyst rosary.

...i'm drawing my own history.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:00 pm
Oh that's nifty ^_^

What kinds of prayers do you say on your rosaries? Do you have set, specific prayers or do you just think of them as you go?  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

Artistic Genocide

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:23 pm
I personally love my prayer beads. ^_^
I always have them on my person. I use the buddhist version of the prayer beads, but i was looking into the Greek komboloi beads. They're lovely.^_^
They just put me in the right frame of mind. so useful.^_^  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:31 pm
Morgandria
Jenny Artucio
Now I am interested!

Traditionally a witch's ladder is a protective amulet or spellworking that is a length of string or cord with various items (typically feathers) knotted into it at intervals. There is also a version of this that is forty knots or beads on a string that are made with a spell bound into them; it's then used like a set of prayer beads, but to repeat that spell over and ove rather than a prayer.

My witch's ladders are a little different. I have a picture and an explanation of mine here:
http://morgandria.deviantart.com/art/witch-s-ladder-water-74798406

I also am very very fond of Greek komboloi beads - Greek men often have them; they're worry beads, rather than prayer beads. Just a nifty, sometimes beautiful, toy to play with, or relax with.

Oooooohh~ That's so beautiful! And a wonderful idea!  

o sunflower king

raging-earth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:03 pm
Violet Song jat Shariff
Oh that's nifty ^_^

What kinds of prayers do you say on your rosaries? Do you have set, specific prayers or do you just think of them as you go?

I generally use them to help me meditate, by rotating the beads. Then, if a certain prayer comes to me I'll say it, but I usually don't say any actual traditional prayers. When I visit my grandmother (which I'm leaving next week to visit for two weeks yay!) I do the Roman Catholic book of hours with her throughout the day.

*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games