Submit

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:00 pm

OberFeldwebel
Fresnel
Orkronos
Well the bet bet would have been ,tactically, the Balkans Have a major offensive there crush the weakened Italians and march into Austria. Now doing this would probably make the Fuhrer abandon the Atlantic wall project and then if you attack there..... much less saving private Ryan.
Hitler wasn't that stupid. You lose France, and the allies have a supply line that's almost entirely overland. The bit that IS in the sea is heavily guarded and within shore battery range. You destroy a supply truck, and the allies lose two tons of supplies, much of which can be picked right back up and loaded in another truck. You destroy a supply ship, and the allies lose several hundred tons of now-useless food, weapons, and ammunition. Keep the war at sea, and you win it.

A supply line and a firm foot hold.

You'd have to cut off the troops far into France, Battle of the Bulge, and cut off their supply line by Wolf packs.
But that doesn't really protect from more air drops.
You'd need the Luftwaffe for that, but what was left of it in 1944?
Not much I'm sure.
Using your entire military to simply stop the enemy from advancing is a sure sign of defeat.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:46 pm

Fresnel
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel
Orkronos
Well the bet bet would have been ,tactically, the Balkans Have a major offensive there crush the weakened Italians and march into Austria. Now doing this would probably make the Fuhrer abandon the Atlantic wall project and then if you attack there..... much less saving private Ryan.
Hitler wasn't that stupid. You lose France, and the allies have a supply line that's almost entirely overland. The bit that IS in the sea is heavily guarded and within shore battery range. You destroy a supply truck, and the allies lose two tons of supplies, much of which can be picked right back up and loaded in another truck. You destroy a supply ship, and the allies lose several hundred tons of now-useless food, weapons, and ammunition. Keep the war at sea, and you win it.

A supply line and a firm foot hold.

You'd have to cut off the troops far into France, Battle of the Bulge, and cut off their supply line by Wolf packs.
But that doesn't really protect from more air drops.
You'd need the Luftwaffe for that, but what was left of it in 1944?
Not much I'm sure.
Using your entire military to simply stop the enemy from advancing is a sure sign of defeat.

Yeah, agreed. And that's why it isn't possible to win a multi-front war.

With that large of an invasion it's doubtful that a Panzer Division's anti-aircraft vehicles could take on that much, they're mostly there for shooting down strafers.
I think they would have needed a full and mobile AA battery. Probably more than that.

OberFeldwebel

AINGELPROJECT667

Shy Lunatic

5,550 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Trader 100
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:03 am

Orkronos
Man of the Demoneye
Fresnel
Orkronos
actually...... I think D-day was a horrid ww1 style plan. But beaches instead of trenches...... I commend the ******** who had the balls to get through it though.
I think the only other options they had were to build a ******** of planes and paradrop the entire army, or set sail for Russia and help out on the Eastern front.

At least they made the most of the plan, what with the inflatable tanks and stuff beforehand.
While this is true need i remind of of the opening scene of saving private Ryan?

Yes, but the scene from SPR depicted the fighting on omaha beach, which actually had the worst of the fighting of the 5 beaches. In the fight for Utah beach, the invasion task force barely even suffered a hit.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:54 pm

AINGELPROJECT667
Orkronos
Man of the Demoneye
Fresnel
Orkronos
actually...... I think D-day was a horrid ww1 style plan. But beaches instead of trenches...... I commend the ******** who had the balls to get through it though.
I think the only other options they had were to build a ******** of planes and paradrop the entire army, or set sail for Russia and help out on the Eastern front.

At least they made the most of the plan, what with the inflatable tanks and stuff beforehand.
While this is true need i remind of of the opening scene of saving private Ryan?

Yes, but the scene from SPR depicted the fighting on omaha beach, which actually had the worst of the fighting of the 5 beaches. In the fight for Utah beach, the invasion task force barely even suffered a hit.
I get the feeling that the rough part of being a paratrooper was from the Channel to the dirt. After you were ON the dirt, your chances were good... assuming you were still alive at that point.

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:40 am

Fresnel
AINGELPROJECT667
Orkronos
Man of the Demoneye
Fresnel
Orkronos

I get the feeling that the rough part of being a paratrooper was from the Channel to the dirt. After you were ON the dirt, your chances were good... assuming you were still alive at that point.

Paratrooper?

From the movies you see the MGs unload on the Higgins' boats when the doors fell down.
That's the big danger there.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:15 am

OberFeldwebel
Fresnel
AINGELPROJECT667
Orkronos
Man of the Demoneye

Paratrooper?

From the movies you see the MGs unload on the Higgins' boats when the doors fell down.
Yeah, you saw Band of Brothers, right? Just about everybody who died in the first few days of Overlord died either when their plane got shot down or when they were shot out of midair in the drop.

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:21 pm

Fresnel
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel
AINGELPROJECT667
Orkronos
Man of the Demoneye

Paratrooper?

Yeah, you saw Band of Brothers, right? Just about everybody who died in the first few days of Overlord died either when their plane got shot down or when they were shot out of midair in the drop.

I thought you were saying channel to the dirt as in the beachhead.
... yeah my mistake.

By on the dirt you mean the plane was above land? Then it's from the plane to the ground.

Even then it's still iffy, flak can tear the s**t out of a plane, as well as a soft fleshy target.
Then you've got the Dual MG42 AA tripods and Flakvierlings and Ostwinds.

It's a ******** fest the whole trip.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:13 am

OberFeldwebel
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel
AINGELPROJECT667

Paratrooper?

... yeah my mistake.

By on the dirt you mean the plane was above land? Then it's from the plane to the ground.

Even then it's still iffy, flak can tear the s**t out of a plane, as well as a soft fleshy target.

No, I mean that the hardest part was from the moment triple-A saw them until their boots touched dirt.

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:25 am

Fresnel
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel
AINGELPROJECT667

Paratrooper?

... yeah my mistake.

No, I mean that the hardest part was from the moment triple-A saw them until their boots touched dirt.

Oh ok, way I read it I was thinking you were saying that they were on ground on the beach.
Chatterbox/Humor

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff