Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Shrantic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:08 pm
ArmasTermin
Shrantics Pretentious Ego
If y'all are thinking of designing a gun, it better damn well be in .17-50.

.17-50? I'd love to see that.

That'd be like one of those ladies' cigarettes.
I was thinking more along the lines of a god damned laser. xp

.17-50 = .50BMG necked down to .17  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:53 pm
Shrantic
ArmasTermin

.17-50? I'd love to see that.

That'd be like one of those ladies' cigarettes.
I was thinking more along the lines of a god damned laser. xp

.17-50 = .50BMG necked down to .17

I was imagining .17-50 sort of like .45-70 with .45 being diameter and 70 being length.  

ArmasTermin

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:27 am
I would NOT trust that in a semi-auto.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:08 am
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel
Barru

45-70?
... 45-140
O.O

No idea. But I think a straight cartridge would be easy on reloading.
Then perhaps releasing a bottleneck as well.
That way they can use either bullets to reload.
Bottleneck bullets generally get better performance because they have a solid surface to gas seal against. Rimmed and semi-rimmed cartridges use the rim, bottlenecks use the taper, and straight-walled cartridges use the leading edge of the cartridge. VERY finicky. Rimmed rounds, though they get the best gas seal, have the disadvantage of not stacking well in a magazine. Overall a bottleneck round gets more consistent pressure with looser tolerances.

Also, .45-70 is a dying round. Wikipedia says that at one time, it disappeared, and Marlin filled the gap with the .444 Marlin, a semi-rimmed, straight-walled round. Maybe that might be an acceptable round?

Quote:
The Marlin can push a 240 grain bullet at velocities over 2,400 ft/s (730 m/s) generating 3,070 ft·lbf of energy (730 m/s and 4,160 J) making it well suited for all large game. SAAMI has rated this cartridge at 44,000 CUP.
Unfortunately...
Quote:
It functions most efficiently when used with cast lead bullets.
Cast-lead will quickly ******** up a gas-recoil system, as proven by everyone's favorite DEAGLE.

What about a blowback system?

It would absorb some of the recoil.
I cannot remember ever hearing about a rifle, designed as a rifle, that works by blowback. There must be a reason for that.

Yeah, there probably is.

My guess would be that the chamber should remain sealed until the bullet is out of the barrel. Maybe the sudden loss of pressure could impart unwanted forces upon the billet and cause it to be less accurate? This theory is basd on the gas system on an AK and such being farther down the barrel giving the bulet enough time to exit the barrel until the gas reaches the bolt to push it back. Perhaps this is why bolt actions are traditionally thought of as more accurate than semi auto because they have a constant rate of pressure drop rather than a sharp drop in pressure?

Also, would it be possible to wrap a spring around the barrel to use the recoil to cycle the gun?  

Man of the Demoneye

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:24 pm
Man of the Demoneye
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel
Bottleneck bullets generally get better performance because they have a solid surface to gas seal against. Rimmed and semi-rimmed cartridges use the rim, bottlenecks use the taper, and straight-walled cartridges use the leading edge of the cartridge. VERY finicky. Rimmed rounds, though they get the best gas seal, have the disadvantage of not stacking well in a magazine. Overall a bottleneck round gets more consistent pressure with looser tolerances.

Also, .45-70 is a dying round. Wikipedia says that at one time, it disappeared, and Marlin filled the gap with the .444 Marlin, a semi-rimmed, straight-walled round. Maybe that might be an acceptable round?

Unfortunately... Cast-lead will quickly ******** up a gas-recoil system, as proven by everyone's favorite DEAGLE.

What about a blowback system?

It would absorb some of the recoil.
I cannot remember ever hearing about a rifle, designed as a rifle, that works by blowback. There must be a reason for that.

Yeah, there probably is.

My guess would be that the chamber should remain sealed until the bullet is out of the barrel. Maybe the sudden loss of pressure could impart unwanted forces upon the billet and cause it to be less accurate? This theory is basd on the gas system on an AK and such being farther down the barrel giving the bulet enough time to exit the barrel until the gas reaches the bolt to push it back. Perhaps this is why bolt actions are traditionally thought of as more accurate than semi auto because they have a constant rate of pressure drop rather than a sharp drop in pressure?

Also, would it be possible to wrap a spring around the barrel to use the recoil to cycle the gun?
You got it, I think. If straight blowback is used, the gasses will vent when the chamber unlocks, and the bullet will stop IN the barrel.

I've never seen a gun with an expanding spring for recoil, and I've always wondered why. Probably not as reliable.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:00 pm
Fresnel
I wouldn't trust .50 calibre anything in any weapon other than a heavy machine gun or sniper/anti-materiel rifle.  

Ubasti

Shrantic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:52 pm
Ubasti
Fresnel
I wouldn't trust .50 calibre anything in any weapon other than a heavy machine gun or sniper/anti-materiel rifle.
But it's .17 caliber. lol

Like the .22-250 being a .250 necked down to .22, a .17-50 would be a .50BMG necked down to .17.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:05 am
So apparently the problem with a round like .17-50 is that a .17" barrel leaves so little room for expansion inside the barrel that there's not as much force as there otherwise could be. This makes me think that there should be something like a .44-50 that uses a .50BMG case to propel a heavy .44 MAG slug (or maybe a .458 SOCOM or .454 Casull slug). A big, heavy, round-nose projectile would have a superior wound profile, and give the .50BMG case's powder sufficient volume to burn off in while still propelling the bullet. Hell, we might even go bigger than .50BMG. 14.5mm or even 20mm would make a monster round. Maybe a 25mm stubby shell, from a grenade.

But if we're looking for a laser round for use in a semi-auto, I actually recommend the .22 Eargesplitten Loudenboomer. It's pretty close to the length of a .30-06, but it reaches muzzle velocities of 4,600 fps or more. That's half again as much as a .223 of comparable bullet weight.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Q&A (Are YOU using this?)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out